Embarrassed about our fan base | Syracusefan.com

Embarrassed about our fan base

chakka3421

All Conference
I sat by a couple visiting friends in Syracuse - Mich fans who have been to Mich games - and they couldn't believe how loud it was in the Dome with it being only about half full. They came away impressed with the "potential" of how the Dome could really be very loud and a "factor" in pumping up the players like they do in Mich. They really felt bad for the team with so few fans and it being such a great game. They liked the experience and potential and hope Mich plays here one day - I really didn't know what to say except I'm a little embarrassed about our fan base.

Not only did dozens of (fans? spectators? ticket-buyers?) leave our section as overtime expired, at least a fifth of the people in our section left when Scott intercepted the pass and it looked like we'd attempt a field goal.

All to do what, get a jump on the traffic headed up to Cicero? It's a poor fan base. A decent number of the fans in the building made it loud at times, but it's a dreadful bunch outside of about 20,000 people. It's beating a dead horse to complain about it at this point.

Not only did dozens of (fans? spectators? ticket-buyers?) leave our section as overtime expired, at least a fifth of the people in our section left when Scott intercepted the pass and it looked like we'd attempt a field goal.

All to do what, get a jump on the traffic headed up to Cicero? It's a poor fan base. A decent number of the fans in the building made it loud at times, but it's a dreadful bunch outside of about 20,000 people. It's beating a dead horse to complain about it at this point.

You got it pegged. Why people were leaving when they had sat there the whole game is beyond me. Doesnt make any sense.-

By the way, this is Exhibit A as to why you keep the Dome. That place gets lous with 30k. Why in the world would we want to go "topless"?

All to do what, get a jump on the traffic headed up to Cicero?

When I moved to Syracuse, one of the first funny things I discovered is how people complain about the traffic. If you're a local, sorry, but you have no idea how ridiculous you sound to outsiders. Bad traffic in CNY means it takes 12 minutes to get where you're going instead of 10.

I still remember when Channel 3 started a traffic report. Literally every morning they would throw a blank map on the screen and some voice over guy would talk about how nothing was wrong. They dropped it after only a month or so after someone (probably a non-local) finally figured out how ridiculous it looked.

You got it pegged. Why people were leaving when they had sat there the whole game is beyond me. Doesnt make any sense.-

By the way, this is Exhibit A as to why you keep the Dome. That place gets lous with 30k. Why in the world would we want to go "topless"?

No, don't you understand? Having an outdoor stadium at Skytop will make it faster to get back to my generic suburban home to sit on my couch. And there won't be all that campus-y crap to distract from my bland football experience. It'll be just like a Carolina Panthers game!

No, don't you understand? Having an outdoor stadium at Skytop will make it faster to get back to my generic suburban home to sit on my couch. And there won't be all that campus-y crap to distract from my bland football experience. It'll be just like a Carolina Panthers game!

Huh?

Not only did dozens of (fans? spectators? ticket-buyers?) leave our section as overtime expired,

Are you complaining that fans left when the game was over? What are they supposed to do?

I'm exhausted complaining about our crappy fans. It doesn't help and it only depresses me. Then I turn on ABC and see Morgantown... they're lucky.

I sat by a couple visiting friends in Syracuse - Mich fans who have been to Mich games - and they couldn't believe how loud it was in the Dome with it being only about half full. They came away impressed with the "potential" of how the Dome could really be very loud and a "factor" in pumping up the players like they do in Mich. They really felt bad for the team with so few fans and it being such a great game. They liked the experience and potential and hope Mich plays here one day - I really didn't know what to say except I'm a little embarrassed about our fan base.

For what its worth, there are empty seats at stadiums all over the place. Pitt didnt look to have a full house against Notre Dame, and Notre Dame is usually good for 10k tickets alone. WVU wasnt full for LSU and College Gameday. The reality is the Syracuse area has been bleeding population (with money) for years, as has every area within two hours of the DOme with the exception of Albany, a pro-sports town. The student population is small and without a tradition of attending. The economy is shitty and there are a half-dozen other things to do on a Saturday. Not to mention the view from one's couch is outstanding and the team is lackluster (not bad or lacking in effort, but generic and uninteresting in its schemes). I think 40k is the new target number. You get 40k in the seats for most opponents, mid 30s for mid majors, and 40+ for rivals and opponents who travel well.

WVU wasnt full for LSU and College Gameday.

LOL what are you talking about haha. They were scalping tickets for 250 dollars in the top corner of the stadium. 400+ sometimes for lower if u bought a ticket as a single

Hey, I could be incorrect, but when they would pan around or do that overhead shot, the farthest reaches of the stadium looked to have a lot of empty seats. I only noted it because i was so surprised.

Hey, I could be incorrect, but when they would pan around or do that overhead shot, the farthest reaches of the stadium looked to have a lot of empty seats. I only noted it because i was so surprised.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are incorrect. They set a school record for requested tickets. I think it beat the record by about 2,000. At the end of the game once Geno Smith fumbled, there were some that left but thats because it turned into a 19 point game with 9 minutes left without the ball. I guarantee you it was sold out

I think the seats in the farthest reaches looked empty because that's where they sat the visiting fans, who weren't wearing the gold-out shirts.

I never get this and never will....once again, how do other people NOT going to the game or other people leaving early effect YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME?

Why do you care what other people do? I saw a bunch of people leave once the 4th quarter ended, I think they are stupid. But I didn't think about it for more than 2 seconds or get worked up over it. Who cares! I don't care what other people do. It doesn't effect me or the time I had.

Not sure I can be considered "fan base" as I live 7 hours away, but bleed orange. In town to watch my son play hockey for Cuse, I traveled on campus bus from south campus. This was late, the game was 10 minutes in and the bus packed with students. No one talking about the game, or going to the game. Since i overheard several describing how hung over they were, I don't think noon starts are conducive to student attendance. When I was here in mid to late 70's I would never have missed a game, even though our team sucked and we played in a crumbling "facility"; we even went to away games, I recall trips to Penn State and BC. College kids are different today, I guess. I don't know what comes first: better team or more enthusiastic student body, but current team has much more talent and a perfect environment to watch a game.

Are you complaining that fans left when the game was over? What are they supposed to do?

I'm exhausted complaining about our crappy fans. It doesn't help and it only depresses me. Then I turn on ABC and see Morgantown... **** they're lucky.

Sorry, meant to say regulation. I agree that it's not worth any breath or space complaining about fans, but it is stunning to think that someone would pay for a ticket, sit in the Dome for over three hours, then leave a 30-30 game as the clock runs out. Yet a hundred people in 331 and 330 did just that between the end of regulation and SU's first offensive play of overtime.

I never get this and never will....once again, how do other people NOT going to the game or other people leaving early effect YOUR ENJOYMENT OF THE GAME?

Why do you care what other people do? I saw a bunch of people leave once the 4th quarter ended, I think they are stupid. But I didn't think about it for more than 2 seconds or get worked up over it. Who cares! I don't care what other people do. It doesn't effect me or the time I had.

I don't know why it bothers me - and you're absolutely correct that it shouldn't bother me - but it does. I suppose I'm offended on behalf of the players and coaches who put in so much work yet get such a tepid response from their alleged supporters. And I'd be lying to say that I'm not concerned about the future of the program; as Rahme says, recruits notice this behavior.

I'm thrilled with the result of the game, though, and that's all that matters.

I don't know why it bothers me - and you're absolutely correct that it shouldn't bother me - but it does. I suppose I'm offended on behalf of the players and coaches who put in so much work yet get such a tepid response from their alleged supporters. And I'd be lying to say that I'm not concerned about the future of the program; as Rahme says, recruits notice this behavior.

I'm thrilled with the result of the game, though, and that's all that matters.

If a recruit doesn't want to come here cause Billy Bob and his wife in Sec 213 leaves early, then what does that say about the recruit? I mean seriously. This stuff happens EVERYWHERE!! It does!! But in a 90,000 seat stadium it goes un-noticed. In a 49,000 seat stadium it stands out more. But it happens everywhere. It's not a big deal. I mean the Yankees were winning the World Series in 2009 and in the top of the 9th for the final outs half the seats behind home plate were empty. People left or were in a bar inside the stadium. Is that an insult to Jeter and Rivera? STOP! Please. It's nonsense! It sounds silly!

The "alleged supporters" comment.....I mean come on man. Not everyone is a "die hard fan"...for most fans its just a game. Something to do on the weekends and they don't want their whole day tied up. At a certain time they say ok, this was fun but I have other things to do on my one day off. I GET THAT!!!! They don't live and die by this stuff like WE HERE do or the diehards do. To start attacking fans is silly.

I'm there every week like most everyone here. Stay till the end. And is on this board everyday. DIE HARD FAN! EVERYONE on this site is a die-hard. That doesn't mean we should get upset when other people aren't die hards and don't have their happiness hang in the balance of these games. Or don't stay till the bitter end.

Don't let it bother you. It really isn't a big deal.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say you are incorrect. They set a school record for requested tickets. I think it beat the record by about 2,000. At the end of the game once Geno Smith fumbled, there were some that left but thats because it turned into a 19 point game with 9 minutes left without the ball. I guarantee you it was sold out

WVU played #1 LSU on prime time, National Television, College Gameday, etc.

SU played Toledo...at noon...on local broadcast.

Apples vs. oranges.

Can we get off the fans asses, please? We double Toledo's attendance and they should have won yesterday.

Here are some major programs we beat in attendance: Top 10 Stanford, Maryland, Northwestern, Top 5 Boise State, Boston College, Duke, UConn, Cincinnati.

We equal (or are close to it) Top 25 USF's, Baylor, Arizona State, Indiana, and many others.

And the vast majority of those programs have much more attractive schedules than Syracuse (at this time).

Stop your bitching about the fans.

I'm more annoyed at the student body. The student turnout yesterday was pathetic.

Traffic in Syracuse is horrible. Every time I hear or read that on these boards it makes me laugh.

44cuse

Traffic in Syracuse is horrible. Every time I hear or read that on these boards it makes me laugh.

44cuse

I have never in my life read or heard any Syracusan say traffic in Syracuse is horrible. Not once.

Just because people in Central NY don't like traffic doesn't mean they think traffic is bad in Syracuse. That's probably one of the reasons why many of them choose to reside in Syracuse...because the traffic is not bad in comparison to big cities.

I have never in my life read or heard any Syracusan say traffic in Syracuse is horrible. Not once.

Just because people in Central NY don't like traffic doesn't mean they think traffic is bad in Syracuse. That's probably one of the reasons why many of them choose to reside in Syracuse...because the traffic is not bad in comparison to big cities.

Hey Nirvana, do you want me to spell your handle correctly? You must have registered when the name was limited to 12 characters.

If a recruit doesn't want to come here cause Billy Bob and his wife in Sec 213 leaves early, then what does that say about the recruit? I mean seriously. This stuff happens EVERYWHERE!! It does!! But in a 90,000 seat stadium it goes un-noticed. In a 49,000 seat stadium it stands out more. But it happens everywhere. It's not a big deal. I mean the Yankees were winning the World Series in 2009 and in the top of the 9th for the final outs half the seats behind home plate were empty. People left or were in a bar inside the stadium. Is that an insult to Jeter and Rivera? STOP! Please. It's nonsense! It sounds silly!

The "alleged supporters" comment.....I mean come on man. Not everyone is a "die hard fan"...for most fans its just a game. Something to do on the weekends and they don't want their whole day tied up. At a certain time they say ok, this was fun but I have other things to do on my one day off. I GET THAT!!!! They don't live and die by this stuff like WE HERE do or the diehards do. To start attacking fans is silly.

I'm there every week like most everyone here. Stay till the end. And is on this board everyday. DIE HARD FAN! EVERYONE on this site is a die-hard. That doesn't mean we should get upset when other people aren't die hards and don't have their happiness hang in the balance of these games. Or don't stay till the bitter end.

Don't let it bother you. It really isn't a big deal.

It's the perception it gives though, especially for recruits...the 'ol adage of you only have one shot for a good first impression...

Yes, it does happen EVERYWHERE as you imply. However, there's a huge difference (perception) when a few fannies leave a packed 90k stadium vs. a few leaving an already half empty 49k seat facility...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom