Class of 2021 - F Emoni Bates | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 F Emoni Bates

Whoopsies. There is a lot to try and back out of here given FedEx is HQ'd in Memphis. That or someone royally screwed up an easy win that could have been within the rules.

Regardless of how they did it, should be fun seeing Duren and Bates on the team together.

It will be interesting to see which HSers have the confidence to go to the G League vs going to the NCAA.

So schools that have been coordinating to have boosters pay athletes preNIL are now prohibited from coordinating boosters to pay athletes postNIL. Lol sure thing

Only wrong if you get caught. Not sure FedEx is a booster per se

Regardless of how they did it, should be fun seeing Duren and Bates on the team together.

It will be interesting to see which HSers have the confidence to go to the G League vs going to the NCAA.

I mean gotta figure you see kids like Lands working out with so many current pros that they can test their game against those guys anytime they want to get a feel where they stand. So if they can dominate in those contests or hold their own it's a money game purely.

I mean gotta figure you see kids like Lands working out with so many current pros that they can test their game against those guys anytime they want to get a feel where they stand. So if they can dominate in those contests or hold their own it's a money game purely.

Going to slightly disagree. I do think money is a major driving force, but those G League teams have grown men with pro experience on them.

Regardless of the potential for a lot of HSers, they'll usually get beat up, outworked, and just flat out not have the pro game experience that these older guys have.

Jalen Green had harder competition than Cade did. Takes a lot of courage to go to a grown man league.

Only wrong if you get caught. Not sure FedEx is a booster per se
The baseball stadium is FedEx Park and I'm sure they've given other money to Memphis athletics so I would think they would be considered a booster by the NCAA. I'm pretty sure companies can be "boosters" but I never came across that during my time in a compliance office haha

The baseball stadium is FedEx Park and I'm sure they've given other money to Memphis athletics so I would think they would be considered a booster by the NCAA. I'm pretty sure companies can be "boosters" but I never came across that during my time in a compliance office haha

Well it's tricky- they are a publicly traded company. So if they have a corporate giving account that goes to various Memphis area universities then they are not necessarily a booster, Memphis is just one of the non profits that has likely applied for funds or been granted them through a regular giving event. In this case, if Memphis is directing and working with a publicly traded company to cut an NIL deal with conditions of attending the University, that is not being a booster that is a violation of the NIL rules.

Now if Memphis referred them to Fedex as a possible source of NIL opportunity and FedEx shared what they could do and the advantages of being in the Memphis area then this works exactly as planned. To me that is how it would work best in our case too. It is a slippery slope.

Essentially kid signs a deal with a company and could attend UT if he wanted. Once you lay a contingency on it, that is likely where it crosses a line.

So they did exactly what people are wanting a scrap metal company to do here?

I'd like the scrap metal company to independently offer some players deals that they can benefit thru NIL.

And for recruits to hear about it and think I'm going there because the scrap metal company is handing out money for NIL.

And when the staff is asked about it, they are trained to say you'll have to ask the scrap metal company.

If there's a booster issue because of who sits in the first row, well then, plan B. Just don't ask me what plan B is.

Last edited:
Im sure some big suit at Fed ex is giving them money.

Of course but that isn't the point. If there was a contingency to play at Memphis and Memphis was dumb enough to not avoid that connection when recruiting those guys well - that doesn't fly.

Clearly before Penny that suit hasn't done enough so someone got the wheels turning again. Had Memphis been rolling in top 5 classes every year sure it's BAU. Now all the sudden this happens and there is smoke around them possibly screwing up something that should be easy to color between the lines.

Just don't ask me what plan B is.
The scrapmetal doesn't get into shipping containers by itself. Recruits will all get summer jobs shredding cars and running a crane.

62780DFA-B9BF-43BB-9D11-25BBED0857A4.jpeg

legggggo!

Emoni, if you are reading this, you will look great in Orange (with the script jerseys!)...come win a chip...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom