End of Season Slide (per ESPN) | Syracusefan.com

End of Season Slide (per ESPN)

Lukeyloo

Reigning 2004 Syracuse CYO Free Throw Champ
Just took a quick accounting of what ESPN's matchup predictor thinks of our remaining schedule (for what it's worth..) . According to ESPN we're favored in only 4 upcoming games, which would give the team a 17-14 (10-10) record going into the ACCT. Obviously this isn't to say these are predestined results, but it seems fair and gives us an idea of where the team is expected to end up short of any upsets.

While this record would be an improvement over last year, I can't help but think it's a disappointment given the pieces on the team and the strength of the conference. What's it going to take to have a 20 win season again? Is it coaching?

Additionally, with no recruits coming in for '23, Joe/Jesse likely leaving after this season, and Boeheim's lack of transfer portal use, the immediate future isn't looking like it will be any better. Not a whole lot to look forward to as of right now.

Last edited:
Just took a quick accounting of what ESPN's matchup predictor thinks of our remaining schedule (for what it's worth..) . According to ESPN we're favored in only 4 upcoming games, which would give the team a 17-14 (10-10) record going into the ACCT. Obviously this isn't to say these are predestined results, it seems fair and gives us an idea of where the team is expected to end up short of any upsets.

While this record would be an improvement over last year, I can't help but think it's a disappointment given the pieces on the team and the strength of the conference. What's it going to take a have a 20 win season again? Is it coaching?

Additionally, with no recruits coming in for '23, Joe/Jesse likely leaving after this season, and Boeheim's lack of transfer portal use, the immediate future isn't looking like it will be any better. Not a whole lot to look forward to as of right now.
Would be good for my Iggy predictions since those were my exact predictions, but...:(

Way I look at it is 17-14 is directional progress even if still an overall weak year. Next year has to be a tourney team with 20 plus wins. Year after top 25 and deeper tourney run. Given coaching unknowns that may be a tall order but honestly if we aren't there or better it's a big failure as program regression stacks years on top.

Way I look at it is 17-14 is directional progress even if still an overall weak year. Next year has to be a tourney team with 20 plus wins. Year after top 25 and deeper tourney run. Given coaching unknowns that may be a tall order but honestly if we aren't there or better it's a big failure as program regression stacks years on top.
With the ACC as bad as it is, there’s no reason we shouldn’t win 20 this year.

UNC was no better than us. They couldn’t guard Mintz, and they couldn’t shoot from outside. They had two big bangers inside and a bunch of stocky hustlers. I didn’t see one stud for them.

UNC was no better than us. They couldn’t guard Mintz, and they couldn’t shoot from outside. They had two big bangers inside and a bunch of stocky hustlers. I didn’t see one stud for them.

Oh I don't disagree at all. Hence 17-14 being directionally progress yet still very much underperforming again.

Oh I don't disagree at all. Hence 17-14 being directionally progress yet still very much underperforming again.

Is directional progress relevant though? I mean huge parts of the roster turn over every year. It’s not like there is a progression anymore. Every year is basically a discrete event.

Is directional progress relevant though? I mean huge parts of the roster turn over every year. It’s not like there is a progression anymore. Every year is basically a discrete event.

It's only relevant in the sense that we aren't going backwards record wise. Beyond that it's only as good as improving the following year closer to program expectations. Whether you have to turn over a roster or not- that is a common reality now thus a fading excuse.

The problem with SU is we’ve been out of the tournament the past two years by Christmas. Our early season play has been dreadful. Until we fix losing to awful teams in the preseason, the ACC regular season is a non factor. Unless we win the ACC tournament, this team has no chance of making the tournament. We could win five straight and it still won’t put us in. You can’t keep losing to bad teams in the preseason and expect to get in.

If we slide at the end of the season JB needs to retire. No reason this team should not finish 7-3 in this conference this year. The excuses need to end.

Agreed. This team is improving but these recent close loses are killing us. They really should be 7-2 or even 8-1 in the conference. It’s incredibly frustrating. They have to step it up from these slow starts. I think JB may need to call the press on earlier in the game to help increase our defensive activity, even if it gives up a couple of easy scores.

End of season slide COULD be a real thing. We've got Joe and Jesse and a bunch
of "green horns". 3 previous seasons, CUSE has gone 52-41. Does THIS team know how to win close games?
How could they? Judging by what we have seen lately...NOPE.
BUT the ACC is NOT dominant this year. Virginia is ranked 7th, Miami 20th and Clemson 24.
Let's give this team and JB the benefit of the doubt. This (young) team learns to execute offensively in the last 15 seconds of a game. They learn their roles and gain confidence in the last 10 games of the season. And somebody takes out UVa in the ACC tournament.
Why
not
CUSE?

If we slide at the end of the season JB needs to retire. No reason this team should not finish 7-3 in this conference this year. The excuses need to end.
We’re not the ones making the excuses. It’s the administration that is making excuses. No other big time program would be talking about equity when we haven’t been ranked in FIVE years.

If we’re going to close out games, Mintz has to learn to make the right play. It’s not always putting your head down and going to the basket. I still think of Lydon to Battle from the corner to beat Clemson on the road. That’s making the right play. PS. I’m still shocked they didn‘t call a weak charge on Lydon. I still remember seeing the Clemson women in the first row opposite the shot from Battle, standing up and putting her hands up, saying NO!

It's only relevant in the sense that we aren't going backwards record wise. Beyond that it's only as good as improving the following year closer to program expectations. Whether you have to turn over a roster or not- that is a common reality now thus a fading excuse.

I've been watching Syracuse basketball for over 50 years, and I've never seen us just lie down and quit as a team like we just did in that 4 game losing streak.
I don't care if we squeak out a winning record.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom