End of the virginia game | Syracusefan.com

End of the virginia game

upperdeck

Living Legend
I wasnt watching in real time since I was watching some kids I know wrestling in the NCAA championship. But I went back today to watch the final 30 secs

up 3 get fouled make 1 to go up 4.

foul with 12 up 4.

guy makes 2 up 2.

Inbound the ball.. Now I get the panic bad throw play is bad

But 2 things..

First why panic at all, if you just eat it they get the ball back with 2 secs and you can play D,, Not great but better than what happened,

But what is Bennett doing not calling his last TO when he started to panic.. If you call it, the 10sec violation goes away. They have to foul you if all you do is inbound the ball with those 6-7 secs left..

Bad play but worse coaching..

I wasnt watching in real time since I was watching some kids I know wrestling in the NCAA championship. But I went back today to watch the final 30 secs

foul with 12 up 4.

guy makes 2 up 2.

But 2 things..

First why panic at all, if you just eat it they get the ball back with 2 secs and you can play D,, Not great but better than what happened,

But what is Bennett doing not calling his last TO when he started to panic.. If you call it, the 10sec violation goes away. They have to foul you if all you do is inbound the ball with those 6-7 secs left..

The ball was in the hands of his 37 year old point guard. I don’t blame Bennett for not calling a TO.

It honestly seemed UVA was trying to win by less than 5.5 points with the missed free throws and decisions.

foul with 12 up 4.

guy makes 2 up 2.

But 2 things..

Agreed. Bennett has to call timeout in that situation. You can see the trap in the corner, you knw your PG is 5'9. There is little risk in calling the timeout there vs a lot of risk in hoping Clark can pass out of that. Bennett is a super nice guy and a really good coach but sometimes he looks shell shocked and slow to react in the tournament.

Cuse

What amazed me, was the poise of the 2 Furman players who did the double team. With 10 seconds on the clock, they were in foul mode, but they realized they had him in trouble and didn't foul, when it would be real easy to do so.

Reminded me so much of the Elite 8 game against them in '16. For such a calm and collected guy, Bennett's teams sure do get rattled. Everything about UVA seems to be in slow motion, including his ability to react to a press, even when he knows it's coming.

It is hard to believe that Clark is the same dude that made one of the best passes in tournament history his freshman season.

Came into the tournament with the best pass of his career and went out with the worst pass of his career. I couldn’t believe he did that.

I don't blame Bennett since it was his most experienced player with the ball but what was Clark thinking. Did he talk after wards? He had a timeout. My only guess is that he didn't see that kid. He saw 2 of his players and thought he could through it over the top or thought there was less time left than there was. Either way a terrible ending for them. He has a title but they have some really bad losses. Blowing a huge lead to us as a 1 seed, then 1-16 matchup and now this.

Panic does crazy things.. he still had 5 secs to do something.. Even holding it they might still foul. if he throws it with 2-3 secs left the refs might even forget to see the 10 sec call expire.. I mean given a ref last night standing out of bounds didnt even know it and blew a call.

It reminded me a little bit of Hack doing a similar thing of throwing the ball in the air in the final seconds I want to say against ND. Of course it wasn't 6 seconds and it didn't cost us the game and Hak wasn't a PG in his 6th year.

I will give the kid credit though he stood and answered everything.

Agreed. Bennett has to call timeout in that situation. You can see the trap in the corner, you knw your PG is 5'9. There is little risk in calling the timeout there vs a lot of risk in hoping Clark can pass out of that. Bennett is a super nice guy and a really good coach but sometimes he looks shell shocked and slow to react in the tournament.

Cuse
Coach and point guard share the blame. Each is responsible for 50% of the loss.

foul with 12 up 4.

guy makes 2 up 2.

But 2 things..

I was watching the wrestling on my laptop. Spencer Lee is the most exciting 125 lb athlete in any sport.

foul with 12 up 4.

guy makes 2 up 2.

But 2 things..

Coaches can’t call live ball TOs from the sidelines can they?

I think players have to call it now.. its gone back and forth a few times over the years.. but its not like the players shouldnt be paying attention. And they had the foul call at 12 secs to make sure they knew what to do..

He had two wide open teammates to pass the ball to. McNealy was wide open straight across the floor and Beekman 15 feet away on his left. There was no reason to try and go deep. His big man was all the way down the court picking his nose and doing nothing to come back to the ball. It was a horrible play and Clarke takes 99% of the blame.

Coach and point guard share the blame. Each is responsible for 50% of the loss.
No. Each was partially responsible for the last play, but not even 50% - some blame goes to the inbounds guy for inbounding the ball to a short guy in the low corner. But, the whole team bears responsibility for the loss as there were many things they could have down done the stretch so that the last play doesn't even happen.

I was watching the wrestling on my laptop. Spencer Lee is the most exciting 125 lb athlete in any sport.

Yeah, he's awesome.

I watch it...wrestled 132 back in the day.

Roman Bravo-Young is impressive at 133 for Penn State too. Also, my wife worked with a woman for several years whose grandson is Aaron Brooks, a beast of a wrestler for PSU at 184lbs.

I don't blame Bennett. He literally could not have had a more experienced player with the ball in his hands. If all he did was cradle it in both arms the worst case outcome is a backcourt violation and 2-ish seconds left on the clock.

I also highly doubt Bennett didn't remind his team to call TO if they were in trouble. The guy's not a dummy.

Sometimes a player just makes an epically bad decision.

It reminded me a little bit of Hack doing a similar thing of throwing the ball in the air in the final seconds I want to say against ND. Of course it wasn't 6 seconds and it didn't cost us the game and Hak wasn't a PG in his 6th year.

I will give the kid credit though he stood and answered everything.
I was thinking the same thing. There was a scrum at mid court and the game ran out. After the game I remember Boeheim saying Hak told me sorry coach it just slipped and Boeheim said your life almost just slipped.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom