Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
When starting upperclassman start playing behind freshmen you can forget about team chemistry ...you have none.

Q has gotten a free ride since the F4 despite underachieving since then. This team suffers numerous WTH blowout losses every year and looks bad in the NCAAs and now he runs off one of his best players. He continually churns out top recruiting classes but underperforms. He officially should be put on the hot seat.

Q has gotten a free ride since the F4 despite underachieving since then. This team suffers numerous WTH blowout losses every year and looks bad in the NCAAs and now he runs off one of his best players. He continually churns out top recruiting classes but underperforms. He officially should be put on the hot seat.
l agree coach Q's bench coaching leaves a lot to be desired but missed layup's and missed open jumpers ...that's on the players. We beat less talented teams on talent alone but when matched up with teams of equal or more talent we underperformed because we were a poor shooting team.

When starting upperclassman start playing behind freshmen you can forget about team chemistry ...you have none.
When starters cause the team to lose games, because of poor play they need to sit. I remember when after 5 minutes of a Uconn game Geno sat Stewie and Morgan Tuck for the rest of the game. The reason was they weren't playing the way he liked.
A Good coach doesn't allow just because you are a starter, you to play bad.

When starters cause the team to lose games, because of poor play they need to sit. I remember when after 5 minutes of a Uconn game Geno sat Stewie and Morgan Tuck for the rest of the game. The reason was they weren't playing the way he liked.
A Good coach doesn't allow just because you are a starter, you to play bad.
Poor play yes they should sit .....but when freshman walk into starting positions over upperclassman ...you've got problems.

Q, are you listening to me, all is not lost. Get on your knees, yes both knees, and ask Emily to forgive you. But, yes I know you are the coach, however she is the star. No matter what the argument was about, you tell her she was right and you were wrong. No it does not matter if you were right, she is the star and is always right. Tell her you are sorry and it will never happen again. Explain to her you are not worthy of her.
Q, I’m not sure if this will 100% work, but it is how I’ve been married for over 35 years.

You are all making assumptions here. Maybe Emily wanted to leave for reasons not related to Q or even the team. This has been a most unusual year. I also don't feel you have the right to question who starts and who comes off the bench. We have no idea what goes on in practice, and also Em was suspended for some reason and may have lost her starting job because of it. Then she became the best 6th person in the ACC. Sometimes a player does better coming into the flow. I think Em was that player. We don't know if she had a problem with it or was ok with it. SOOOO many assumptions above.

Team suddenly went from very experienced to very inexperienced, and without Emily would now clearly have no alpha leader. Except for Maeve DJT roster is all soph and frosh. Destiny of next season rests in the freshman PG’s hands, almost literally. That’s a big ask.

We don't know if Maeva will be back. She stood as a senior on senior day. Teisha will be a JR. or red shirt So. Not sure if she was able to practice with the team as we got later into the season. She played well her freshman year and hopefully will bring some maturity to the floor. We could bring in 1 or 2 more good transfers besides the USC we picked up today. Let's not forget Tiana was a transfer and so was Miranda Drummond. They brought great things to the team from day 1.

You are all making assumptions here. Maybe Emily wanted to leave for reasons not related to Q or even the team. This has been a most unusual year. I also don't feel you have the right to question who starts and who comes off the bench. We have no idea what goes on in practice, and also Em was suspended for some reason and may have lost her starting job because of it. Then she became the best 6th person in the ACC. Sometimes a player does better coming into the flow. I think Em was that player. We don't know if she had a problem with it or was ok with it. SOOOO many assumptions above.
B60B106B-AF12-442B-8D5A-0E1127F3DDEC.jpeg

Unless someone comes out with specifics, which is very unlikely, conjecture is all it’s ever going to be. This recent post by Emily seems kind of fitting considering the circumstances— and confirms to me what we all have been thinking on here and was not okay with the situation.

If for some reason her wanting to transfer is about her behaviour, then I can understand where you are coming from. I think everyone on here is well aware of her having trouble controlling her emotions on the court at times and her getting into some trouble off of the court as well.

However, if this has to do with her feeling mistreated by not following the rules or listening to the coaching staff then I have no sympathy. At this point in her career, she should be setting an example for the younger ones and being a good teammate/leading this team. She shouldn’t be spending her time making stupid decisions, talking back to the coaching staff and getting into trouble.

As to whether or not you think we should be questioning who starts and comes off of the bench, that’s kind of the point of the message board, no? Everyone that posts on here has invested their time and want to see this team have success as much as the next person.

So when the state of the program is in shambles, and the team is underachieving every year, I would think the fans should be able question/hold the coaching staff accountable. I mean, we are the ones investing our time and money watching/going to see them play after all.

As to whether or not you think we should be questioning who starts and comes off of the bench, that’s kind of the point of the message board, no? Everyone that posts on here has invested their time and want to see this team have success as much as the next person.
No. I do not think this is what a message board is for. Yes to the vested interest. No to thinking we are all coaches and know better than the actual coach. Yes to the holding them responsible part. I am not going to play pretend coach and most don't want to read that on this board. I have been a member of this board for a long, long time now, and this is actually a pet peeve of many members. There is oh so much more to discuss on here.

There was an interesting article on Em (I think on the Athletic) about some issues she worked thru in terms of fitness mentally and physically. There could be many reasons she left. I wish her luck. Huge loss.

There is a guy on 247 site saying that Cardoso is contemplating leaving also. I hope it’s drivel from some dope but there does seem to be a tense feel right now surrounding the program.

Only those directly involved truly know what is going on inside a team and even then, it’s that individuals perspective. I hope that Coach Q does some soul searching now. This coupled wits loosing those players for the conduct violations is not a good sign.

Engstler plays basketball like I love watching.
The game matters to her and she could be 0 for 10 and it won’t faze her at all.

Sucks to lose that toughness.
Good luck and hope she goes somewhere to excel in March.

I don’t follow the day to day around the women’s program but hopefully Q changes it up. The culture should be positive. I don’t watch many SU WBB but whenever I see them on I watch them and they play a really fun style to watch.

Engstler is a tough loss.

I wish all of the ladies who end up at another program nothing but the best. It’s sad that it had to come to this. Really hoping that the Cardoso rumours aren’t true and she doesn’t leave the program as well— that would be devastating and would probably be the moment I no longer watch or support this current coaching staff as it stands today.

Sensing a lot of dark/toxic energy around this program right now— all stemming from the coaching staff. I know Q has high expectations of the girls (as we all do) but he also needs to know that this is supposed to be the best years of their lives. This game is supposed to be fun for them. Coach— but don’t be a drill sergeant. The point where you feel like you’re becoming a drill sergeant should be flashing red lights that he doesn’t have the correct people on staff. This program needs a major culture reset. Sincerely hoping that Q turns this around.

Go 'Cuse
Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish all of the ladies who end up at another program nothing but the best. It’s sad that it had to come to this. Really hoping that the Cardoso rumours aren’t true and she doesn’t leave the program as well— that would be devastating and would probably be the moment I no longer watch or support this current coaching staff as it stands today.

Sensing a lot of dark/toxic energy around this program right now— all stemming from the coaching staff. I know Q has high expectations of the girls (as we all do) but he also needs to know that this is supposed to be the best years of their lives. This game is supposed to be fun for them. Coach— but don’t be a drill sergeant. The point where you feel like you’re becoming a drill sergeant should be flashing red lights that he doesn’t have the correct people on staff. This program needs a major culture reset. Sincerely hoping that Q turns this around.

Go 'Cuse View attachment 199004
Auriemma, the standard of coaching women's basketball, isn't a drill sergeant then...right?

Auriemma, the standard of coaching women's basketball, isn't a drill sergeant then...right?
Are you really trying to criticize an 11x national championship winner? Lol. I mean, yeah, obviously Geno is a hothead on the sidelines but he's coaching and giving advice while doing so. He's not yelling just to yell. The guy clearly knows what he's doing and knows what he's talking about.

If he was a drill sergeant 24/7 and ran a toxic program I guarantee you none of his players would want to play for him. There are plenty of other good coaches in NCAA D1 Women's basketball where these girls can get good coaching along with winning a national championship. Plus, he always seems to get the most out of his players. Let's not compare Geno to Q. Q has been to the final four and national championship game once, and that was with a different staff than he currently has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom