Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Engstler, Blackstone, Washington, Lewis, Djaldi-Tabdi, Finklea-Guity, Strautmane, Fitzmaurice, McNeil, Huijbens, Fisher, Cardoso in transfer portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
You must have missed the shouting match on the side line between the two of them during one of the games.
Ah yes. All I saw was her running all over the place and fighting every second she was out there. I just figured emotion on the sideline was part of her passion.

The problem is on the sidelines. He seems to be able to recruit, but the performance on the floor hasn’t got any better. I had no idea what the focus was for this years team. They would go twenty minutes and Cardozo wouldn’t touch the ball. The continually bombed away and they weren’t a good three point shooting team. Several players had no accountability. They were frustrating as hell to watch.

The problem is on the sidelines. He seems to be able to recruit, but the performance on the floor hasn’t got any better. I had no idea what the focus was for this years team. They would go twenty minutes and Cardozo wouldn’t touch the ball. The continually bombed away and they weren’t a good three point shooting team. Several players had no accountability. They were frustrating as hell to watch.
Triple like on this post. I saw the same things. In addition, I think that in general Q's teams have been among the worst on defense in all of Womens College basketball. He really should have hired a defensive mind to replace his most recent departure. The number of games this year where this team was down 20 in the first half was absolutely jarring.

The year before you didn't have Tiana, but she was on the bench, and most everyone was back from a 25 win team. With Lewis at the point they were a 500 team, big underachieving. This year the 2 seniors shot terribly, and still played 30+ minutes every game, it's not a big guess as why people will leave.

The year before you didn't have Tiana, but she was on the bench, and most everyone was back from a 25 win team. With Lewis at the point they were a 500 team, big underachieving. This year the 2 seniors shot terribly, and still played 30+ minutes every game, it's not a big guess as why people will leave.

Lewis shot 33% overall and 23% from 3 and had 80 more shot attempts than the next player on the team. Insanity.

Lewis shot 33% overall and 23% from 3 and had 80 more shot attempts than the next player on the team. Insanity.
I don't want to try to defend Q on this one because I agree the offense has depended too much on Lewis over the past two years but I think this was because she was one of the few people on the team who could create her own shot. One of my objections to the way Q coaches this team: horrible offensive design in the half-court.

Taleah Washington, Kiara Fisher and Khamya McNeal were also suspended during SU’s postseason run.

Not the entire...not when you have dumbasses posting in the men's thread who cares when another poster was updating the ladies score during the men's game.
there are a lot of men who think the women's game is not worthy of any attention and that's a shame for them. There have been quite a few women's games that have been more entertaining than what the men have put on the floor the past few years.

In any regard, ever since Tammi Reiss left the players seem to have lost their direction.

Not good. Emily worked hard to upgrade her body and her offensive game this past year. To be honest until this year she was my biggest disappointment on the court. I thought she wanted to be a point guard, looking to pass too much early in her career but having way too many turnovers while lacking the proper conditioning to make the impact she was truly capable of. She was an excellent rebounder who really needed to work on her shot and I thought this year despite coming off the bench, she had improved dramatically starting to really scratch her potential. I don’t know the reason she was coming off the bench but I imagine the reasoning may have something to do with her entering the portal. The team wasn’t cohesive - Tiana of course wasn’t the same player we knew she was but for understandable reasons, Kiara and Digna regressed this year, a year we really needed them to improve and take on more of a role on this team. Losing Emily who we all hoped would take on an increasing leadership role would be a big loss.

There had to be underlying issues affecting this team and their roles, fracturing their play resulting in the inconsistency we saw throughout this crazy Covid year. I don’t know Coach Q that well but it appears that our style of play reflects more his assistant’s style, rather than a consistent philosophy. Fine if we’re just adjusting and being flexible to the current team’s strengths and weaknesses but it seems to be reactionary because of the revolving door of assistant’s that have left the past few years. This team has just one assistant that has been a constant - Vonn Read, more of an analytics guy. Tammi Reiss was a big loss along with Adeniyi Amadou who she took to Rhode Island with her. Some players have trouble adapting to new coaching personnel as much as an incoming coach can have trouble reaching upperclassmen who are used to a different message being delivered by different messengers.

there are a lot of men who think the women's game is not worthy of any attention and that's a shame for them. There have been quite a few women's games that have been more entertaining than what the men have put on the floor the past few years.

In any regard, ever since Tammi Reiss left the players seem to have lost their direction.

I was wondering if losing Tammi Reiss might be having an impact. Used to love watching her with Dawn Staley at Virginia. But she's done pretty well getting the Rhode Island program moving back in the right direction. They were pretty bad before she got there so going 11-8 with an 11-4 conference record in her second season is pretty good.

Missing so many bunnies against UConn is probably the reason coach Q lost his voice....the most disappointing point of losing to UConn is the gap in talent ...which is what bothers Q the most...time to rebuild

Missing so many bunnies against UConn is probably the reason coach Q lost his voice...the most disappointing point of losing to UConn is the gap in talent ...which is what bothers Q the most...time to rebuild
There was no gap in talent. He was just not getting the talent out of them. We had the #4 recruiting class last year. Let's hope Cardoso is happy, and Priscilla. The 4 may have been toxic to the team. If they could not follow rules, then they can go. I know some stuff happened earlier in the season also. 2 strikes and you are out. Possibly the 4 will not be asked to return. Already 2 in the portal. This is still all on the coach. Player behavior is a reflection on the coach. Yes, one can go off the ledge, but not 4.

Not good. Emily worked hard to upgrade her body and her offensive game this past year. To be honest until this year she was my biggest disappointment on the court. I thought she wanted to be a point guard, looking to pass too much early in her career but having way too many turnovers while lacking the proper conditioning to make the impact she was truly capable of. She was an excellent rebounder who really needed to work on her shot and I thought this year despite coming off the bench, she had improved dramatically starting to really scratch her potential. I don’t know the reason she was coming off the bench but I imagine the reasoning may have something to do with her entering the portal. The team wasn’t cohesive - Tiana of course wasn’t the same player we knew she was but for understandable reasons, Kiara and Digna regressed this year, a year we really needed them to improve and take on more of a role on this team. Losing Emily who we all hoped would take on an increasing leadership role would be a big loss.

There had to be underlying issues affecting this team and their roles, fracturing their play resulting in the inconsistency we saw throughout this crazy Covid year. I don’t know Coach Q that well but it appears that our style of play reflects more his assistant’s style, rather than a consistent philosophy. Fine if we’re just adjusting and being flexible to the current team’s strengths and weaknesses but it seems to be reactionary because of the revolving door of assistant’s that have left the past few years. This team has just one assistant that has been a constant - Vonn Read, more of an analytics guy. Tammi Reiss was a big loss along with Adeniyi Amadou who she took to Rhode Island with her. Some players have trouble adapting to new coaching personnel as much as an incoming coach can have trouble reaching upperclassmen who are used to a different message being delivered by different messengers.
Just a guess on my part but I think the assistant coaches are more of an issue than Q, you nailed it in this post. Q may be overbearing, it seems our assistant coaches haven't been able to or haven't had the tenure here to buffer his personality or create a relationship with the current team.

Onward to next fall and with all hope I'll be able to get back into the dome to watch them play.

There was no gap in talent. He was just not getting the talent out of them. We had the #4 recruiting class last year. Let's hope Cardoso is happy, and Priscilla. The 4 may have been toxic to the team. If they could not follow rules, then they can go. I know some stuff happened earlier in the season also. 2 strikes and you are out. Possibly the 4 will not be asked to return. Already 2 in the portal. This is still all on the coach. Player behavior is a reflection on the coach. Yes, one can go off the ledge, but not 4.
A group that forms within a group/team/organization can lead to trouble. I think it can be easier for four to go off the ledge then one. They have each other for support of their decision of what is appropriate behavior.

I've seen it happen. Very disruptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors