ENJOYING this ride, but looking to the future | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

ENJOYING this ride, but looking to the future

I’m going to enjoy this ride because I think we can make some noise before this year is over. These last 5-10 games have made me ALOT more confident about next year. Jesse will get stronger this off season, and I think he will be a legit starting center for us. He’s not going to ever get us 12-15 ppg. But he’s a problem for opposing teams on the boards and defensively. I also think people are sleeping on Frank. He’s been putting in work in the weight room. He’s an elite level athlete for his size and should be a really good rim protector and rebounder here. If he stays healthy he’s a very legit back up center that will only help Jesse get better and Vice versa. Braswell has turned into a great role player. He’ll be a helluva 6 man next year. Our 3 guards, assuming Buddy and Kadary start and Joe comes off the bench is a great 3 guard rotation. Add in Benny, a five star, yeesh. I think one of QG and AG come back. Don’t think they both do. Then add in a couple quality transfers and we can be a legit top 15 team next year, at least.
You don't think Edwards could be a 12-15 ppg guy? I can see it.

Yeah I do too. He is a good FT shooter and no one is blocking that little half hook. Also he will be a target for more lobs as well. Add in the rebounding improvement and I can see 12 a game maybe more. At minimum he can be a 10/8/2 guy.

Yeah I do too. He is a good FT shooter and no one is blocking that little half hook. Also he will be a target for more lobs as well. Add in the rebounding improvement and I can see 12 a game maybe more. At minimum he can be a 10/8/2 guy.
He just seems aware on offense in a way that suggests he can get his own offense beyond hustle points (like most of our centers). The few times the clock has been running out and he's had the ball, he's been able to make a legitimate move to get a shot off. There will come a point when his offense will evolve to the point where we look to put him in position to score. I don't think it's that far off, either.

He just seems aware on offense in a way that suggests he can get his own offense beyond hustle points (like most of our centers). The few times the clock has been running out and he's had the ball, he's been able to make a legitimate move to get a shot off. There will come a point when his offense will evolve to the point where we look to put him in position to score. I don't think it's that far off, either.

His attitude has also changed. He misses a board or two but he attacks going after boards like he is mad about it vs leaning towards it. That block had some nasty on it too.

That little hook shot he made a nice post move to get himself that look. He was under control and patient. That tells me the game is finally slowing down for him which is key.

His attitude has also changed. He misses a board or two but he attacks going after boards like he is mad about it vs leaning towards it. That block had some nasty on it too.

That little hook shot he made a nice post move to get himself that look. He was under control and patient. That tells me the game is finally slowing down for him which is key.
Yeah, the knock earlier was that he's lacking some strength so other teams can knock rebounds away, and that does happen some... but the dude does still grab boards. Our rebounding overall really solidifies when he's in.

It’s a possibility but the thing is, will he be asked to do that, will he have the shots a game to do that? We’ll have Buddy, JG3, Kadary, Benny and most likely one of AG/QG. Is there enough shots to go around? Certainly he could develop into a 12-15 ppg but as of now he would probably be the 4th-5th scoring option next year. But he could get there with garbage points, cleaning up the offensive boards and the foul line. I just don’t see us running any offense through him if that makes sense?

It’s a possibility but the thing is, will he be asked to do that, will he have the shots a game to do that? We’ll have Buddy, JG3, Kadary, Benny and most likely one of AG/QG. Is there enough shots to go around? Certainly he could develop into a 12-15 ppg but as of now he would probably be the 4th-5th scoring option next year. But he could get there with garbage points, cleaning up the offensive boards and the foul line. I just don’t see us running any offense through him if that makes sense?
Ah gotcha, you're viewing it as a function of opportunity vs ability.

It's a legitimate question. How many shots are really out there for the 5? Definitely remains to be seen.

The big thing working in his favor though is that he seems pretty efficient. He probably wouldn't need many shot attempts and free throws per game

Ah gotcha, you're viewing it as a function of opportunity vs ability.

It's a legitimate question. How many shots are really out there for the 5? Definitely remains to be seen.

The big thing working in his favor though is that he seems pretty efficient. He probably wouldn't need many shot attempts and free throws per game

It's also - he's a dude who can actually do a screen and roll, then ROLL -
and make something happen when he gets the ball in that action.

Could also see him getting a few lobs a game, and then the rest of his O is on putbacks and FT's.

I think our front court will have significantly more scoring opportunities should Kadary be running the point. One of his greatest strengths is getting into the lane and distributing.

the scoring should be more evenly distributed. Dunk city baby.

Unless there is info I’m not aware of, I find it hard to believe Griffin moves on after transferring once. JB has given a lot of praise to Q so don’t know why he’d leave. Woody was hurt this past year from what I recall. I thought Sidibe was already coming back. And unless Marek goes to Europe, I think he loves it here.
One reason why I think Griffen could come back--even if he loses a starting position--is because he is by now quite aware that his game needs to improve in order for him to have a career in the NBA. Yeah, he's a great threat from three, is a tremendous athlete with a great motor, but he needs to learn what to do when he drives into the paint. Dion Waiters he isn't.

And if you look at his face on the sideline when JB's instructing him, he's listening and he seems to appreciate what he's hearing and JB seems to adopt a restrained approach in talking to him, which I think he appreciates.

If he realizes he needs more seasoning and realizes that he's gonna get the coaching he needs from Boeheim, I think there's a good chance he could return and willingly back up Benny.

IMO, the further our run the better our chances to have a strong team next year. If we need to replace roster losses, a decent run in the tournament has to help us gain the attention of quality players.
85453F6A-5350-4BD9-8BE3-3F6E5204F773.jpeg

One reason why I think Griffen could come back--even if he loses a starting position--is because he is by now quite aware that his game needs to improve in order for him to have a career in the NBA. Yeah, he's a great threat from three, is a tremendous athlete with a great motor, but he needs to learn what to do when he drives into the paint. Dion Waiters he isn't.

And if you look at his face on the sideline when JB's instructing him, he's listening and he seems to appreciate what he's hearing and JB seems to adopt a restrained approach in talking to him, which I think he appreciates.

If he realizes he needs more seasoning and realizes that he's gonna get the coaching he needs from Boeheim, I think there's a good chance he could return and willingly back up Benny.
Having a dad that's an NBA coach really helps. He knows Alan isn't ready and will encourage him to come back.

Yeah, the knock earlier was that he's lacking some strength so other teams can knock rebounds away, and that does happen some... but the dude does still grab boards. Our rebounding overall really solidifies when he's in.
The lacking strength has always confused me. Sure he needs to get stronger but he dwarfs Gumby in size strength length and overall physicality.

The interactions you witness during games do not reflect some of the interactions that have happened in practice (per some connected insiders). There are real reason(s) why many of the insiders feel Griffin will not be back.

The interactions you witness during games do not reflect some of the interactions that have happened in practice (per some connected insiders). There are real reason(s) why many of the insiders feel Griffin will not be back.
Some convincing arguments above on why he will come back but your post blow them out of the water. We will know soon after the season is over whether he is back or not. My heart would like to see him back simply from the perspective of his explosive offense when he is on though my head asks whether he will ever be coachable? He seems to listen to JB but then goes right back out and do the same dumb things!

Reactions: 007
Griff could easily be our fifth forward next year depending on who comes back.
(Marek, Guerrier, Bras, Benny, Griffin, Woody)

Jesse showed he had good footwork and can score on the block last season. His problem was that he was slow in his defensive rotations, wasn’t making the right reads, and got outmuscled by bigger stronger players down low. His defense has improved this season and that’s why he’s getting playing time.

I get that...find it odd considering the dad played for PJ who would peel the paint off the walls when he coached.

I’m not sure why people keep saying Griffin is going to leave. He came here as a transfer with full knowledge that he may have to sit out this year, and only be able to play next year and use Covid exemption the year after. Plus, he wouldn’t have a degree if he left this year.

I think that a core nucleus of Kadary, Buddy, and Benny is a winning formula. Sprinkle in quality components like Edwards, Braswell, and we've got a lineup that can make some noise.

Then consider that JGIII has been a two year starter, that Q might return, that Newton isn't gone until he's gone, etc. and we've got the makings of a top 20 squad. Depth would be a concern if we lose all of those guys, but who knows what the transfer market will bear.

this is how i look at it, i expect A LOT from benny

Would love to see Edward's hit the weights and get on the Etan Thomas college weight gain plan. Seriously if he can add another 10 pounds of good weight and build his strength parallel path to working on that little half hook then he should easily get to a 12/8/3 line. He needs a "go to" shot. The dunks come with the weight and strength training. Hell have him lifting with the football team over the summer.