Ennis now 8th to Lakers in Ford's latest mock draft | Syracusefan.com

Ennis now 8th to Lakers in Ford's latest mock draft

9th in draft express the other day as well.

That was Jeff Goodman's list that ESPN just had up. Ford has way more pull and access to NBA guys than Goodman, imo.

I hate to say it, but we better be all in on this season...because we'll be needing to replace our PG for the third year in a row.

That was Jeff Goodman's list that ESPN just had up. Ford has way more pull and access to NBA guys than Goodman, imo.

Correct, I get the two confused. Sorry bout that

This has probably been posted but JB thinks Tyler is coming back. In the article, Tyler's Dad is already talking about next year's backcourt with Kaleb coming in...

Freshman point guard Tyler Ennis is now projected as a Top-10 pick in the NBA Draft, but Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim doesn’t think he’ll jump to the pros.

“I don’t think so,” Boeheim told Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated. “I think he knows and his father knows that he’s a really good college player. He has to become a better shooter and get stronger to go to the next level. He’d go in the first round, but look at the number of first-round picks who are already out of the league in the last two years. It’s a huge number.”

DraftExpress.com has Ennis as the No. 10 pick, while ESPN’s Chad Ford has the Canadian at No.9.

http://zagsblog.com/syracuse/boeheim-doesnt-think-ennis-will-go-pro/

Last edited:
If Ennis is a top 10 pick he HAS TO GO, unless his family doesn't need the money. Grant as a middle 1st round pick has more reason to come back and develop his jump shot in college and be ready to contribute in the NBA. Ennis as a top 10 pick is getting good money and while he will ride the pine he will get paid as his stock won't get much higher in college.

Cerebral players get better each year vs selfish ability only players like smart who just think they will be better in 1 yr. Ennis can add strength and more consistency shooting and be lottery again just higher. I think at the end of the day after camps etc he would land between 13 and 22 this year

if JB says he should stay, he will probably stay. If you listen to Jake, one player (Donte Greene) didn't listen to him and we all know how that ended up. If you're worried about getting hurt, you can get insurance if you're guaranteed being a first round pick. I'm pretty sure Andrew Luck did this at Stanford... as did Willis McGahee, and we all know how that happened. Not sure how much more we can analyze this until the season is over, but I'm listening to Coach on this before i listen to any draft "expert".

If Ennis is a top 10 pick he HAS TO GO, unless his family doesn't need the money. Grant as a middle 1st round pick has more reason to come back and develop his jump shot in college and be ready to contribute in the NBA. Ennis as a top 10 pick is getting good money and while he will ride the pine he will get paid as his stock won't get much higher in college.

Absolutely. No question... Stinks for us, but what can you do!

if JB says he should stay, he will probably stay. If you listen to Jake, one player (Donte Greene) didn't listen to him and we all know how that ended up. If you're worried about getting hurt, you can get insurance if you're guaranteed being a first round pick. I'm pretty sure Andrew Luck did this at Stanford... as did Willis McGahee, and we all know how that happened. Not sure how much more we can analyze this until the season is over, but I'm listening to Coach on this before i listen to any draft "expert".

Donte Greene didn't have the game or mindset to be a good pro even if he left after his sophomore year. He had the mindset to be a chucker, and he needed to develop other skills he had no interest in.

I disagree that he HAS to go. Yes, he'll make more the higher he's picked, but it's not THAT much more. Looking at the rookie pay scale, if you aren't in the top 6 you're making less than $5 million in the first two years. By comparison, the #15 pick makes just under $3 million. The #10 pick makes about $3.9 million over those first two years. The #20 pick makes about $2.4 million.

So will he be losing money if he comes back and slides a few spots in the draft? Sure, but not nearly as much as you think.

I disagree that he HAS to go. Yes, he'll make more the higher he's picked, but it's not THAT much more. Looking at the rookie pay scale, if you aren't in the top 6 you're making less than $5 million in the first two years. By comparison, the #15 pick makes just under $3 million. The #10 pick makes about $3.9 million over those first two years. The #20 pick makes about $2.4 million.

So will he be losing money if he comes back and slides a few spots in the draft? Sure, but not nearly as much as you think.
He would be losing out on potentially one year of cashing professional basketball paychecks.:noidea:

1.5 million is still a pretty decent chunk of change. There is no guarantee that Ennis can improve his draft stock even if he gains 15 pounds of muscle and starts making 40% from 3. No one knows what the incoming Frosh are going to project as, and we all know that the NBA doesn't draft on production, they draft on potential.

NBA is all about your 2nd contract unless your a top 3 draft pick. If Ennis is a top 10 pick he gets his clock started towards his 2nd contract 1 year faster. Ennis is as close to finished as he is going to be that is part of the reason he has dramatically risen up boards. NBA scouts see a FR PG come into a program replacing a lottery pick and actually running the team better than MCW. I don't think Ennis game is as NBA ready as MCW, but I don't think it will be any better next year or 2 years down the road. That is what makes Ennis attractive to NBA teams you know your getting a savvy PG who can run a team, and not worry about having to stuff the stat sheet and taking care of himself and the team at the same time. Ennis is a great PG prospect who likes to get the whole team involved. His shooting is more than adequate for an NBA PG. His 3pt percentage, steals, assist to turnover ratio are special. If this kid is a top 10 pick he should go unless he likes the college lifestyle.

NBA is all about your 2nd contract unless your a top 3 draft pick. If Ennis is a top 10 pick he gets his clock started towards his 2nd contract 1 year faster. Ennis is as close to finished as he is going to be that is part of the reason he has dramatically risen up boards. NBA scouts see a FR PG come into a program replacing a lottery pick and actually running the team better than MCW. I don't think Ennis game is as NBA ready as MCW, but I don't think it will be any better next year or 2 years down the road. That is what makes Ennis attractive to NBA teams you know your getting a savvy PG who can run a team, and not worry about having to stuff the stat sheet and taking care of himself and the team at the same time. Ennis is a great PG prospect who likes to get the whole team involved. His shooting is more than adequate for an NBA PG. His 3pt percentage, steals, assist to turnover ratio are special. If this kid is a top 10 pick he should go unless he likes the college lifestyle.
I don't disagree with any point that you make, but I do think that there's more at play than just a paycheck. He may want to come back and win a title if we don't get one this year, and if we DO get one this year, more power to him. But then again, he may pull a Florida and want to come back to defend his title, knowing that his family doesn't really appear to need the money right now, and he'll still be drafted in roughly the same spot next year. I just don't think there's a big rush for Ennis, and I get the sense he knows that.

1.5 million is still a pretty decent chunk of change. There is no guarantee that Ennis can improve his draft stock even if he gains 15 pounds of muscle and starts making 40% from 3. No one knows what the incoming Frosh are going to project as, and we all know that the NBA doesn't draft on production, they draft on potential.

For ennis just improving draft stock is not the point. Becoming a better all around player to the point he is earning his 2nd paycheck halfway through his rookie season is more important. All first rounders snag a nice chunk of change. If that first contract is what they are jumping for then good for them. Ennis is a smart kid with good roots and the potential to bring the old school style PG back to life in the NBA . Getting stronger, being a more consistent threat to shoot while also playing a year where he is in the spotlight will prepare him to be playing for that 2nd contract vs cashing in. I think there is much more to gain for him to come back a year. Top 10 is better for nothing more than money. Dion will always be a decent scorer/player but the next cuse star in the league was drafted outside the top 10 in MCW. He like ennis is a smart kid with strong roots making good decisions on and off the court.

This has probably been posted but JB thinks Tyler is coming back. In the article, Tyler's Dad is already talking about next year's backcourt with Kaleb coming in...

Freshman point guard Tyler Ennis is now projected as a Top-10 pick in the NBA Draft, but Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim doesn’t think he’ll jump to the pros.

“I don’t think so,” Boeheim told Seth Davis of Sports Illustrated. “I think he knows and his father knows that he’s a really good college player. He has to become a better shooter and get stronger to go to the next level. He’d go in the first round, but look at the number of first-round picks who are already out of the league in the last two years. It’s a huge number.”

DraftExpress.com has Ennis as the No. 10 pick, while ESPN’s Chad Ford has the Canadian at No.9.

http://zagsblog.com/syracuse/boeheim-doesnt-think-ennis-will-go-pro/

I think I love this post.

For ennis just improving draft stock is not the point. Becoming a better all around player to the point he is earning his 2nd paycheck halfway through his rookie season is more important. All first rounders snag a nice chunk of change. If that first contract is what they are jumping for then good for them. Ennis is a smart kid with good roots and the potential to bring the old school style PG back to life in the NBA . Getting stronger, being a more consistent threat to shoot while also playing a year where he is in the spotlight will prepare him to be playing for that 2nd contract vs cashing in. I think there is much more to gain for him to come back a year. Top 10 is better for nothing more than money. Dion will always be a decent scorer/player but the next cuse star in the league was drafted outside the top 10 in MCW. He like ennis is a smart kid with strong roots making good decisions on and off the court.

I'll just get this out of the way: Lord and Taylor!

Ok, now that that's settled...

Ennis is close to being a finish product? Man Alsacs, you and I must be watching a totally different player. The Tyler Ennis I watch needs to be more consistent outside and needs to put on strength. Yes, I know his shooting percentages are good, but it's not like hes a high volume shooter, and his range isn't out to the NBA three point line. It literally takes forever for him to get a jump shot off. His release is slow. If Tyler comes out this year hes less likely to receive that second contract you are talking about, than if he stays another year.

I don't think getting to the 1st paycheck faster adds security to getting the 2nd paycheck. I think getting better as a player all around, and adding the missing pieces ( especially for a player as slight and undersized by NBA standards as Ennis is) to their game is investing in that 2nd paycheck.

Many people overlook that.

I also think Ennis has the maturity to work on his game just as well in the pro's as he would at Cuse, if he is only playing 500 minutes a season to start. Teams have many assistants and if you want to work on your game and body, even without daily practices, you have many chances to do so.

Some players need to stay back to mature, and may not have the discipline to develop properly in the NBA if they leave early. I don't think that will be the case with Ennis. If he doesn't make it, its because he was not good enough for the NBA, not because he should have stayed an extra year or two.

I don't think getting to the 1st paycheck faster adds security to getting the 2nd paycheck. I think getting better as a player all around, and adding the missing pieces ( especially for a player as slight and undersized by NBA standards as Ennis is) to their game is investing in that 2nd paycheck.

As I said before, I don't understand the mindset that a mature player will improve more in the NCAA rather than in the NBA.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom