Eric Dungey returning to Syracuse for radio work, to finish degree | Syracusefan.com

Eric Dungey returning to Syracuse for radio work, to finish degree

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Eric Dungey is coming back to Syracuse this fall to talk Syracuse football and finish his undergraduate degree.

The former record-setting SU quarterback will join TK99 and ESPN Radio this season with weekly segments on “Gomez and Lisa in the Morning” on TK99 and “On the Block” with Brent Axe on ESPN Radio.

Dungey will also co-host pre- and post-game coverage on the station while finishing up two classes to complete his accounting degree, according to Ed Levine, president/CEO of Galaxy Communications.

Syracuse, N.Y. -- Eric Dungey is coming back to Syracuse this fall to talk Syracuse football and finish his undergraduate degree.

The former record-setting SU quarterback will join TK99 and ESPN Radio this season with weekly segments on “Gomez and Lisa in the Morning” on TK99 and “On the Block” with Brent Axe on ESPN Radio.

Dungey will also co-host pre- and post-game coverage on the station while finishing up two classes to complete his accounting degree, according to Ed Levine, president/CEO of Galaxy Communications.

Sorry we won't be able to see him in the preseason, at least. But happy he is able to finish his degree and come back home.

do those courses still get covered by his scholarship or is that out of his own pocket? More curious than anything. Always wonder who pays for returning players to finish up classwork and covers them when they work out at school facilities.

do those courses still get covered by his scholarship or is that out of his own pocket? More curious than anything. Always wonder who pays for returning players to finish up classwork and covers them when they work out at school facilities.

I'm about 99.44% sure that the University allows athletes to finish up their degrees for "free".
(since they've already paid with blood, sweat, and tears for many years prior)

There's close to zero incremental cost for the University to extend this to the handful of athletes who may take advantage of it in a given semester.
And it's great for recruiting, goodwill, and also - graduation stats!! :cool:

Good for Eric. It will probably do his body a lot of good to skip a season and heal up.

This will be great to see! I imagine it may be a hard line for him to straddle the line of having inside knowledge with what he can release to the public. I dont envy having to give constructive criticism of the team I just played with 7 months ago. I really wish CNY media could have found a place for Julian Whigham. I thoroughly enjoyed his work.

Get him on Gameday on the 14th.

Get him on Gameday on the 14th.

Or Marvin Harrison, Jim Brown, Floyd, Czonka, etc... got lots of great choices.

My money is on Boeheim being the special guest, though.

Looking forward to hearing Eric on the radio.

I bet he will provide excellent insight.

And, I have no doubt that he will be successful in any field of endeavor he chooses to pursue.

Or Marvin Harrison, Jim Brown, Floyd, Czonka, etc... got lots of great choices.

My money is on Boeheim being the special guest, though.

My Top 3 would be...
-Jim Brown (greatest football player ever)
-Bob Costas (greatest sportscaster ever in my opinion and an incredibly entertaining storyteller)
-Joe Biden (nothing political, just cool that a former VP and Presidential candidate went to SU. But probably not realistic due to security issues.)

Harrison is a legend but I feel like he would give creepy, stone-faced one word answers to everything. Floyd and Czonka have great personalities and are options. I would be legitimately disappointed if Boeheim walks out. It's a multi-hour show and they should definitely interview him at some point, but having him as the celebrity guest picker makes us look like a one-trick pony University.

Last edited:
My Top 3 would be...
-Bob Costas (greatest sportscaster ever in my opinion and an incredibly entertaining storyteller)
-Joe Biden (nothing political, just cool that a former VP and Presidential candidate went to SU. But probably not realistic due to security issues.)

Harrison is a legend but I feel like he would give creepy, stone-faced one word answers to everything. Floyd and Czonka have great personalities and are options. I would be legitimately disappointed if Boeheim walks out. It's a multi-hour show and they should definitely interview him at some point, but having him as the celebrity guest picker makes us look like a one-trick pony University.

I don't disagree re: Boeheim, but I feel like he's the easy choice. Not sure Jim Brown would do it.

Could also try and get McNabb or Donnie Mac.

a bit surprised he's hanging it up so quick, wonder if there weren't many calls or if injuries have finally caught up

what a great career he has had, thanks for the memories ED, bets of luck in your new venture(s)

I don't disagree re: Boeheim, but I feel like he's the easy choice. Not sure Jim Brown would do it.

Could also try and get McNabb or Donnie Mac.
If we're showcasing Syracuse as a football school, then we definitely shouldn't have Boeheim. Its gotta be either a former player or celebrity. McNabb would definitely get the crowd pumped up. Id make an exception for Melo though...that would be pretty sweet

My Top 3 would be...

Joe Biden would be an interesting choice.

It would certainly bring him and the University a lot of attention.

Joe Biden would be an interesting choice.

It would certainly bring him and the University a lot of attention.

Can we counter with Al D'Amato?

I hope it's someone younger than me.

... but having him as the celebrity guest picker makes us look like a one-trick pony University.
not ashamed to admit that I initially read this as celebrity nose picker

If we're showcasing Syracuse as a football school, then we definitely shouldn't have Boeheim. Its gotta be either a former player or celebrity. McNabb would definitely get the crowd pumped up. Id make an exception for Melo though...that would be pretty sweet

Gameday was in Louisville in 2017. Pitino was guest picker.

My Top 3 would be...

You just known they will build up the “basketball school is now good at football” narrative. I bet it’ll be JB unfortunately (and JB is great js)

You just known they will build up the “basketball school is now good at football” narrative. I bet it’ll be JB unfortunately (and JB is great js)
But actually JB would be the best guest in that scenario because I know he would remind everyone that Syracuse was a football school, that had a memory lapse and then remembered again.

He will remind everyone that from 1950-2000 Syracuse was a football school with a good and growing basketball program and it was only from 2003-present that this whole “Syracuse is a basketball school” narrative started.

The reality is we are now both a basketball school AND a football school. I am not sure there are 10 schools who have had better combined historic success in both sports.