Eric | Syracusefan.com

Eric

BillSU

All American
As I watched, with wonder, Eric Dungey progress through his Syracuse football career, each time he took a hit that knocked him out of a game and season I wondered if he was going to get a chance at the NFL no matter how good he was in his Senior year.

How are he and his agency reacting to not being invited to the combine?

IMO, Eric Dungey's only chance at playing professional football will be to appear at this years pro day to see if he can change minds about his reputation as being too dangerous to invest in show them what a warrior he is with plenty of talent and courage and get onto a team's practice squad as an undrafted free agent.

Maybe all those excursions jumping off Oregon cliffs into pools of water and other things guys, including myself, liked to do because we were invincible were a prelude to his career here. There was no pool of water to welcome him from a great height this time but a level field and many linebackers, corners and safeties waiting for him as he took the run option.

It is what he wanted to do and he paid a price but gave us so many moments I know I'll never forget. The most exciting QB with not the best, most accurate arm I ever saw at SU - he still broke and holds lots of records. Good luck o you man. GOSU :)

Last edited:
He's better than Nassib and Nassib lasted a few years as a backup.

Honestly, how do you take Custis and not Dungey? I really wonder about professional scouts sometimes

That's unfortunate. Was hoping and expecting Eric would at least get a combine invite. But he can always still wow them at our pro day workout.

This is just my opinion, I never thought ED's arm was strong enough for the NFL. He is/was one of my favorite SU players of all time but his WR made him look better then he is by catching many under-thrown balls. I hope he proves me wrong but I just don't see an NFL arm.

IMO and it doesn’t mean much he is better off not being in the combine . His pro day he will be the only Qb to watch and if he has honed his skills over the past few months coupled with his size and intangibles hopefully he will win some teams over

Julian Edelman, who was a QB at Kent State, did not get invited to the Combine. Pats worked him out privately and decided to draft him because of his athleticism ... and then figure out where to play him. He started with Pats as a punt returner. And this year he was the MVP of the Super Bowl as a wide receiver.

Last edited:
Julian Edelman, who was a QB at Kent State, did not get invited to the Combine. Pats worked him out privately and decided to draft him because of his athleticism ... and then figure out where to play him. He started with Pats as a punt returner. And this year he was the MVP of the Super Bowl as a wide receiver.
I was just explaining to my brother today that dungey could be like edelman. He has that grit and although he isn’t the best QB in the draft he has intangibles you can’t teach. I hope the patriots pick him up!

Last edited by a moderator:
IMO and it doesn’t mean much he is better off not being in the combine . His pro day he will be the only Qb to watch and if he has honed his skills over the past few months coupled with his size and intangibles hopefully he will win some teams over

I was thinking along the same lines. Plus there is four years worth of film on the kid. Someone is going to bring him into camp and if he kills it with that opportunity, who knows?

Bingo. Eric is using the lack of an invite as fuel to get even better. The kid is a warrior and cannot be counted out. He will get a chance.

This was a post from RMH that challenged some perceptions about Dungy and accuracy in another thread. Dungy is a leader, play maker and yes is more then accurate enough passing wise for the NFL. There is a strange narrative that his accuracy is bad because I think people remember that bad thow at Pitt or a few games when his throwing was off due to injury. Please note I am not saying he is a hall of famer but let’s not act like he cannot throw the pigskin.

I'm not sold on the lack of accuracy argument either...especially when you compare to other college careers.

ED is a career 61.4% passer. Here are some college career stats for perspective.

Phillip Rivers...63.6%
Peyton Manning...62.5%
Tom Brady...61.9%
Eric Dungy...61.4%
Drew Brees...61.1%
Eli Manning...60.8%
Ryan Nassib...60.3%
Donovan McNabb...58.4%
Taysom Hill...58.2%
Josh Allen...56.2%

8084CB0E-67F4-4F13-AFA0-09E6A23B4DD7.gif

I'd love to see Dungey succeed in the NFL, but I think his accuracy is inflated by the fact he threw SO many bubble screens and wr screens etc in the offenses he operated. Additionally, it's actually not his accuracy but his arm strength that I feel will be a limiting factor.

He was also caught using PEDs several times. He doesn't deserve to be celebrated.

I'd love to see Dungey succeed in the NFL, but I think his accuracy is inflated by the fact he threw SO many bubble screens and wr screens etc in the offenses he operated. Additionally, it's actually not his accuracy but his arm strength that I feel will be a limiting factor.
Fair enough...strength can be worked on. I still believe he had an issue with his shoulder that caused some issues. No idea on how many screens he threw but theoretically those passes are no less important to make.

He was also caught using PEDs several times. He doesn't deserve to be celebrated.
I only know of one time. When was the several times?

Reactions: cto
This was a post from RMH that challenged some perceptions about Dungy and accuracy in another thread. Dungy is a leader, play maker and yes is more then accurate enough passing wise for the NFL. There is a strange narrative that his accuracy is bad because I think people remember that bad thow at Pitt or a few games when his throwing was off due to injury. Please note I am not saying he is a hall of famer but let’s not act like he cannot throw the pigskin.

I'm not sold on the lack of accuracy argument either...especially when you compare to other college careers.

ED is a career 61.4% passer. Here are some college career stats for perspective.

Phillip Rivers...63.6%
Peyton Manning...62.5%
Tom Brady...61.9%
Eric Dungy...61.4%
Drew Brees...61.1%
Eli Manning...60.8%
Ryan Nassib...60.3%
Donovan McNabb...58.4%
Taysom Hill...58.2%
Josh Allen...56.2%

View attachment 152854
How many quick-outs/bubble screens were Rivers/Mannings/Brady/Brees/McNabb throwing in college? QB completion %s are heavily padded by those in today’s game. Completion % on throws of 10+ yards or even just throws beyond the LOS would likely paint a better picture of why many consider Dungey a less-than-accurate passer.

Fair enough...strength can be worked on. I still believe he had an issue with his shoulder that caused some issues. No idea on how many screens he threw but theoretically those passes are no less important to make.
Of course they are just as important to make, but they are an example of why completion percentage isn't the sum total of a QBs actual throwing accuracy.

In terms of arm strength being something you can improve. That may be true, but for Dungey it will probably be technique not physical strength that will have to improve to get him there since he's pretty much maxed out his playing frame already.

How many quick-outs/bubble screens were Rivers/Mannings/Brady/Brees/McNabb throwing in college? QB completion %s are heavily padded by those in today’s game. Completion % on throws of 10+ yards or even just throws beyond the LOS would likely paint a better picture of why many consider Dungey a less-than-accurate passer.
Not related to Dungey, but to your stats, I disagree that stats are heavily padded by today’s game. There’s always been high % throws, it’s just the mechanism of delivering them that’s changed.

YPA is pretty similar historically in many cases listed here, which is more indicative to the types of the throws imo, even though it’s still not perfect (YAC).

The game’s changed, but passers are far more developed today than ever. They’ve thrown 10 x’s the balls as qb’s from decades past. I’d argue that’s more indicative of higher completion %’s than bubbles.

Not only that, but, shorter passes with velocity on them require a higher degree of accuracy as there’s less room for error/adjustment by the WR.

Maybe yes, maybe no...fair points. I would challenge that while names of plays change, concepts don’t. Everyone has versions of screens, jailbreaks, swing pass, etc that have been run over the years. I always thought McNabb threw a great long ball but had a crazy time touching in the short pass. Look at all the slants and outs Brady receivers run and screens.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom