ESPN ACC position rankings: Wide receivers and tight ends | Syracusefan.com

ESPN ACC position rankings: Wide receivers and tight ends

We need to dominate this in the next 1-2 years.
(Dominate is a strong word, but we need to always be T5, w/ consistent T3 finishes)
We're we number 1 in ACC receivers once the results were tallied last season? Would like to see the stats on that. Must have been #1. We'll be #1 again, no worries

What a joke.

Ishmael and Phillips will be taking note.

What a joke.

Ishmael and Phillips will be taking note.
We line up 3 or 4 WR on every play, and you're saying we should have top 5 because we're returning our #2 and #4 receivers in terms of production and have a ton of question marks otherwise?

We line up 3 or 4 WR on every play, and you're saying we should have top 5 because we're returning our #2 and #4 receivers in terms of production and have a ton of question marks otherwise?

Well we return a 90+ reception receiver. That's a big bonus.

Ishmael's undoubtedly a talent, and now that he'll be more featured as a go-to I expect his production to near closer or surpass that of Erv's.

We do have a lot of question marks besides that, but what other teams return nearly 1500 yards and 130 receptions in two upperclassmen from the season prior?

I'd say the list should be Clemson, FSU, SU/UL, Miami, Pitt.

Well we return a 90+ reception receiver. That's a big bonus.

Ishmael's undoubtedly a talent, and now that he'll be more featured as a go-to I expect his production to near closer or surpass that of Erv's.

We do have a lot of question marks besides that, but what other teams return nearly 1500 yards and 130 receptions in two upperclassmen from the season prior?

I'd say the list should be Clemson, FSU, SU/UL, Miami, Pitt.
I love Steve Ish but his talents have been far over rated since he stepped on campus. He has TE skills in a WR body. He simply lacks the speed and quickness to become anything more than a possession-type receiver. With that said...I hope he proves me wrong.

I love Steve Ish but his talents have been far over rated since he stepped on campus. He has TE skills in a WR body. He simply lacks the speed and quickness to become anything more than a possession-type receiver. With that said...I hope he proves me wrong.

He's flashed moments of brilliance and timely catching for us. I have a lot of faith in him, though I can see where you're coming from. I believe he's a high character kid that can work to over achieve what may seem realistic to us. I think this will be a good season for him.

Ervin Phillips is currently tied with Marvin Harrison for 4th all-time in Syracuse history for Rec. He will, most likely leave Syracuse as the all-time leading receiver in Rec. & TD's. He will have to avg. over 125 a game to beat Marvin's yardage record. He was a RB/Hybrid for 2 GD seasons!!!

Steve Ishmael will almost assuredly finish 3rd all time in Rec., possibly 2nd with a chance at 1st if he's our #1 WR. Most likely will be top 4 in rec. yds and would need 9 TD's to tie our current leader.

Think about all of that for a minute.

And, I respectfully, and strongly, disagree that he lacks attributes to be our guy this season.

I have 0 doubts, 0, that this is the season that will turn every skills position recruit in the nations head and make them realize Orange is the new fast.

Ervin Phillips is currently tied with Marvin Harrison for 4th all-time in Syracuse history for Rec. He will, most likely leave Syracuse as the all-time leading receiver in Rec. & TD's. He will have to avg. over 125 a game to beat Marvin's yardage record. He was a RB/Hybrid for 2 GD seasons!!!

Steve Ishmael will almost assuredly finish 3rd all time in Rec., possibly 2nd with a chance at 1st if he's our #1 WR. Most likely will be top 4 in rec. yds and would need 9 TD's to tie our current leader.

And, I respectfully, and strongly, disagree that he lacks attributes to be our guy this season.

Ishmael has everything but top end speed. Kid catches just about everything, can make plays in traffic, has excellent body control and runs good routes. I think he's definitely one of the better WR's in the league.

I question Pitt being on this list. Their top TE is gone. Weah has over achieved but Henderson is over hyped because he's one of the top special teams players in the nation. he made. He also made his explosive plays on jet sweeps. Syracuse should be #5 on that list.

edit: just looked it up. Henderson caught 26 balls for 1 TD. He's basically a running back

Yup, most of what you want in a reciever. Not everyone has elite speed. He has all the rest. The pats make a living on recievers like ish. If they work in the pros, he should catch plenty of balls in college.

Yup, most of what you want in a reciever. Not everyone has elite speed. He has all the rest. The pats make a living on recievers like ish. If they work in the pros, he should catch plenty of balls in college.
I get your point but please name one Pat's WR like Ish.

I get your point but please name one Pat's WR like Ish.

Amendola and the lacrosse player come to mind. Not exactly speedy, but good route runners who can catch in traffic.

Amendola and the lacrosse player come to mind. Not exactly speedy, but good route runners who can catch in traffic.
Both are 4.5 guys which is actually good speed.

This board is hard on Ish. The kid is actually underrated by a message board, something that I thought was actually impossible.

For a kid that runs a 5.4 40, he sure gets open a lot.

Hogan and Edelman arent faster than ish, either. The pats scheme guys open.

Helps that Edelman ran a 3.92 in the 20 yard cone drill. That's hope he gets open. It's not all scheme.

They are good players but where they stand on the career stats list at Cuse says more about how our system and approach has drastically changed. Completely different game. Harrison, Rob Moore, Shelby Hill, Qadry Ismail, Kevin Johnson, Tommy Kane, Spotwood...their numbers would all be incredible in this system in this era.

That's just crazy. I love Ish, but if he runs under 4.7 I'd be shocked.

That says more about how college football has drastically changed over the decade, to the point where Syracuse now runs a an extreme pass happy offense, then it does about the relative talents of all the players mentioned. In other words, put Harrison in Dino's offense and Phillips in those 90's option offenses, and the record book looks very, very different.

It's not a comment - pro or con - on the players and their talent to note that the system is distorting to numbers such that they can't be compared, unadjusted, side by side with other eras or other schools.

Both are 4.5 guys which is actually good speed.

Yeah - but it's relative to the competition, no? I mean Ish is playing vs slower DB's most of the time than the Pats receivers are.

That says more about how college football has drastically changed over the decade, to the point where Syracuse now runs a an extreme pass happy offense, then it does about the relative talents of all the players mentioned. In other words, put Harrison in Dino's offense and Phillips in those 90's option offenses, and the record book looks very, very different.

It's not a comment - pro or con - on the players and their talent to note that the system is distorting to numbers such that they can't be compared, unadjusted, side by side with other eras or other schools.

Largely agree. Different eras are very tricky to compare.

I think when we compare this year to the next few, we'll really be able to see what the system produces vs what the talent produces. (And one thing I think we shouldn't do is "throw out" the stats as inconsequential - they are real yards, points, and opportunities.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom