ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on succession plans at Duke, UNC & Syracuse

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy

Need ESPN+ to access to the full article.

Summary: Job is not in the same class as the other 2. Cooley, Willard, Autry, GMac are their candidates.

I personally would not be excited in any way with any of the 4.

Need ESPN+ to access to the full article.

Summary: Job is not in the same class as the other 2. Cooley, Willard, Autry, GMac are their candidates.

I personally would not be excited in any way with any of the 4.
Some people here are not going to like it or believe it but the SU job is definitely not in the same class as Duke or UNC CH. I get so tired of the same arguments that we get 30K fans, we have the dome, we have Melo Center, etc. People need to stop with the Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, etc bs and realize they are not coming here.

On that note, I would hope we could land a bigger fish then Cooley or Willard, assuming they go outside of the SU tree. And no I'm definitely not sold on Hopkins being successful if given the keys to the car after his last 2 seasons at UW.

I am all for Hop as the next guy. If that isn't going to happen after watching Alabama last night I think Cuse would be crazy not to speak with Oats. I don't care what he said about Coach K. They are the 3rd best team in the country in my opinion. Fun to watch and I am sure that style is very attractive to potential recruits. Just my $.02

I am all for Hop as the next guy. If that isn't going to happen after watching Alabama last night I think Cuse would be crazy not to speak with Oats. I don't care what he said about Coach K. They are the 3rd best team in the country in my opinion. Fun to watch and I am sure that style is very attractive to potential recruits. Just my $.02

Amazes me with the downturn Hop Washington program is on why wouldnt he be the guy. Hes going to get a call everybody was worried he wouldnt come back if he had success at UW well that is not happening.

I know he answered the question, but that felt a bit of a throwaway response in comparison to the other two.

The basic answer is they're going to balance in house vs out of the box guys. Should have been easy with Hop (I'm paraphrasing).

His last paragraph in response:
Here's my question for you, though: What kind of job is Syracuse in the post-Boeheim era? He has been the man in charge since 1976 and is at the heart of most of the Orange's success in program history. It's not in the classic ACC footprint, it's not too fertile a recruiting area and they haven't finished higher than sixth in the league since 2014.

**emphasis mine**

I can't imagine Cooley or Willard having a real shot.

Of course Syracuse isn't at the level of Duke or UNC, but that doesn't mean it's a bad gig. Being the next tier down is darn appealing and you own the state of NY for college basketball, ACC, Dome, Melo Center, etc. We all know the positives.

Some people here are not going to like it or believe it but the SU job is definitely not in the same class as Duke or UNC CH. I get so tired of the same arguments that we get 30K fans, we have the dome, we have Melo Center, etc. People need to stop with the Jay Wright, Billy Donovan, etc bs and realize they are not coming here.

On that note, I would hope we could land a bigger fish then Cooley or Willard, assuming they go outside of the SU tree. And no I'm definitely not sold on Hopkins being successful if given the keys to the car after his last 2 seasons at UW.

The best thing going for us is money. We don’t have quite the prestige and our location is not for everybody. What we do have on the same level as UNC and Duke is cash. It’s just a matter of being willing to spend it.

No I didn’t. If I aim low then I won’t be upset if we reach higher

Well, then thank god we have an AD in charge of the process who knows what he's doing and will seek to hire the best candidate he can line up instead of fans who want to aim low, settle for unqualified candidates, and cross their fingers about the outcome hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

No he wasnt.

If it wasn’t an ESPN Insider article, I’d copy it here. How can you not see where it mentions him?

Edit: I don’t think putting a couple sentences here from a long article would be an issue, but if so, an admin can delete or tell me to.

From the article:

“So that leaves some questions. Would Hopkins go back? After his struggles at Washington, would he be Syracuse's first choice?”

Not only was he mentioned, but he was the first one mentioned in the Syracuse part of the article.

I don’t agree that it’s not a fertile recruiting area. Basketball is the number one sport in New York State and there‘s a ton of talent in the Northeast. That’s just a lazy statement.
The immediate Syracuse area is definitely not a fertile recruiting area most years at least not on the same level as Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte. Of course NYC is but that is still 4 hrs from campus which is probably similar distance to Washington DC for Duke and UNC.

I liked how Gasaway chimed in with basically, “It’s not crazy to think good coaches at poop schools would think about making a million dollars at Syracuse.”

I don’t think anybody was concerned those coaches would look at Syracuse and go “pass!”

Last edited by a moderator:
The immediate Syracuse area is definitely not a fertile recruiting area most years at least not on the same level as Raleigh/Durham/Charlotte. Of course NYC is but that is still 4 hrs from campus which is probably similar distance to Washington DC for Duke and UNC.

There’s a ton of talent upstate from Buffalo to Albany to the Hudson Valley and last I checked we are the main school here. There’s multiple NBA players from Upstate that have been drafted in the past 3 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom