ESPN article on which ACC programs have the most to offer recruits | Syracusefan.com

ESPN article on which ACC programs have the most to offer recruits

chugg21

Gritty, High IQ, Scrappy, Gym Rat, Lunch Pail Guy

Not a whole lot of substance in it. We are listed in tier 2 with Virginia and Louisville. UNC and Duke obviously in tier 1 by themselves. It notes that a few coaches believe that it's actually just Virginia and Louisville in tier 2 and us in tier 3 with FSU and ND. Here's our blurb...
-----------
Syracuse might be losing its grip on this tier, but it's still there for now. The Orange are in a similar conversation to Duke -- how much of the program's success is because of head coach Jim Boeheim, and how far will it fall when he leaves?

Coaches' perceptions were split on Syracuse's recruiting advantages. The obvious knock is the location -- "it's cold as [expletive] and snows in October," as one coach said -- but it still has its pluses.

"It's still one of the real iconic college basketball programs, and it's in an area of the country where there's a lot of good college basketball players," a coach said. "Not necessarily in Upstate New York, but they're within striking distance of New York City, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Boston. There's a lot of players there, and there's not a lot of programs of Syracuse's stature in those locations."

My perception is that Syracuse is generally seen as a villain program. Something to do with Boeheim and the 2-3 zone. The weather certainly doesn't help lure recruits, but than again, Cuse has a pretty good party school rep. We also have great facilities in the Carrier Dome and Melo Center . . . hard to beat that.

As for that zone, I think it stops a lot of recruits from considering us right off the bat. Regardless, JB is looking for a very specific physical specimen to man his defense. Besides, the blue blood programs are always going to get to cherry pick the top tier talent and the next tier of schools get to fight for the best of the rest. In the past few years, and to me it feels like since we left the Big East, it seems we have dropped a notch or two in attractiveness as a destination.

And don't even get me started on one and done and the transfer portal. The days of a team growing as a unit over four years is long gone. Every year it's like starting from scratch with a new batch of guys, and when your defense is the JB 2-3 dynamic zone you have a steep learning curve to climb. It explains why we struggle during the regular season, live on the bubble, and then over perform when we get in the March tourney. It takes that long to climb the curve.

College basketball has changed dramatically over the past decade . . . and not for the better if you ask me.

My perception is that Syracuse is generally seen as a villain program. Something to do with Boeheim and the 2-3 zone. The weather certainly doesn't help lure recruits, but than again, Cuse has a pretty good party school rep. We also have great facilities in the Carrier Dome and Melo Center . . . hard to beat that.

As for that zone, I think it stops a lot of recruits from considering us right off the bat. Regardless, JB is looking for a very specific physical specimen to man his defense. Besides, the blue blood programs are always going to get to cherry pick the top tier talent and the next tier of schools get to fight for the best of the rest. In the past few years, and to me it feels like since we left the Big East, it seems we have dropped a notch or two in attractiveness as a destination.

And don't even get me started on one and done and the transfer portal. The days of a team growing as a unit over four years is long gone. Every year it's like starting from scratch with a new batch of guys, and when your defense is the JB 2-3 dynamic zone you have a steep learning curve to climb. It explains why we struggle during the regular season, live on the bubble, and then over perform when we get in the March tourney. It takes that long to climb the curve.

College basketball has changed dramatically over the past decade . . . and not for the better if you ask me.

When we were having great regular seasons and underperforming in the tournament, we were definitely a villain. Everyone loved seeing us lose to Vermont and Butler. Now we're kind of a feel good story with our little runs (which I hate), but there's also a hint of respect in that we're still Syracuse and the seed next to the name doesn't matter because we should be in the Sweet 16.

Not a whole lot of substance in it. We are listed in tier 2 with Virginia and Louisville. UNC and Duke obviously in tier 1 by themselves. It notes that a few coaches believe that it's actually just Virginia and Louisville in tier 2 and us in tier 3 with FSU and ND. Here's our blurb...
-----------
Syracuse might be losing its grip on this tier, but it's still there for now. The Orange are in a similar conversation to Duke -- how much of the program's success is because of head coach Jim Boeheim, and how far will it fall when he leaves?

Coaches' perceptions were split on Syracuse's recruiting advantages. The obvious knock is the location -- "it's cold as [expletive] and snows in October," as one coach said -- but it still has its pluses.

"It's still one of the real iconic college basketball programs, and it's in an area of the country where there's a lot of good college basketball players," a coach said. "Not necessarily in Upstate New York, but they're within striking distance of New York City, Philadelphia, Washington D.C., Boston. There's a lot of players there, and there's not a lot of programs of Syracuse's stature in those locations."

1) I can't believe that article is paywalled. I mean, I have the sub for it, but that was pretty light.
2) I don't think anything is wrong. We're not Duke or UNC. I think you can even argue Duke is in a league of its own at this point in terms of incoming talent consistency.
3) Everyone knows the big question is what's up when JB leaves, but the short term issue isn't that it's cold in Syracuse (oh wow, big surprise, cold in Syracuse), it's building off the Benny, Kamari momentum and having our assistants continue to land big time recruits.

Other thing would be to do better in the regular season, be ranked, get more air time, more pub and just get back that we are a force to reckon with.

The BEST scenario is that we get back to being top 25 all year and we get our cool factor back.

I have my issues with JB, but that article basically may have just said "they aren't Duke, JB is old, who knows what will happen".

Really good post.

I think the highlighted part of your post hits home the hardest. JB's style, 100% zone, etc. has made SU a 'system' type program for decades...and it worked. As you pointed out, with the significant changes in the landscape, etc. prevalent today, it has its inherited drawbacks and has certainly played a role in our new normal these past 7 years. That being, a middling/mediocre team in our conference where we are no longer chasing regular season conference titles and conference tournament titles, etc. Not to mention, not playing a regular season conference game (or any game for that matter) come January of being ranked in the Top 25 since 2014.

... Coaches' perceptions were split on Syracuse's recruiting advantages. The obvious knock is the location -- "it's cold as [expletive] and snows in October," as one coach said -- but it still has its pluses. ...
There's no doubt that winters can be difficult here, at times. But some opposing coaches exaggerate how bad our weather is.

1620236107200.png

People vastly underestimate the appeal of 30,000+ lunatics packed in the Domr screaming their heads off. Players love that stuff.

Do they? I think we overestimate that here.

Baylor’s not known for their massive or vocal fan base...I can’t even name their home court...yet they’ve been dominating college basketball the last 2 years.

I think style of play, the coaching staff, preparing for the nba, etc are the most important aspects to recruits in 2021 vs anything.

We have plenty of positive in those fields too

Really good post.

I think the highlighted part of your post hits home the hardest. JB's style, 100% zone, etc. has made SU a 'system' type program for decades...and it worked. As you pointed out, with the significant changes in the landscape, etc. prevalent today, it has its inherited drawbacks and has certainly played a role in our new normal these past 7 years. That being, a middling/mediocre team in our conference where we are no longer chasing regular season conference titles and conference tournament titles, etc. Not to mention, not playing a regular season conference game (or any game for that matter) come January of being ranked in the Top 25 since 2014.

We’re a rich man’s later years Cheney Temple program

If I'm a top recruit I want to go where I like the coaches, fit in, will play and have the best opportunity to improve my game. Being fairly close to home could be a factor.
The weather means zero.
Playing in front of huge crowds may be a small plus.

You know where else it's also cold and snows in the winter? Gonzaga, Marquette, UCONN, Wisconsin, Michigan, Michigan St...I hate that argument, it holds no weight.
Other top 25 schools that get significant snow during the winter (though less than SU): Colorado, Brigham Young, Purdue, Illinois, Iowa, Ohio State, West Virginia, Loyola of Chicago, and Villanova. Norte Dame also gets quite a bit of snow.

Or East Lansing.
Or Ann Arbor, or Columbus.

But apparently South Orange, NJ is a tropical paradise! :p
Columbus is way better than Syracuse. I moved to Buffalo last year and it is night and day how different is. Syracuse has a few nice suburbs but there really isn’t much going on at all.

Columbus is way better than Syracuse. I moved to Buffalo last year and it is night and day how different is. Syracuse has a few nice suburbs but there really isn’t much going on at all.

Not to go OT, but I have a wedding in July in Tipp Hill. If I fly into Dayton, all the direct flights are booked, so I have to get a connecting. Other option would be Columbus and then drive, right?

The BEST scenario is that we get back to being top 25 all year and we get our cool factor back.
That is my wish every October. Hope I can realize it again before the reaper comes.

Not to go OT, but I have a wedding in July in Tipp Hill. If I fly into Dayton, all the direct flights are booked, so I have to get a connecting. Other option would be Columbus and then drive, right?
Or Cincinnati

There's no doubt that winters can be difficult here, at times. But some opposing coaches exaggerate how bad our weather is.

View attachment 200719
It snows a lot Dec-Feb because of the lake effect. But in most of the Big 10 Midwestern states, it’s just as cold if not colder. Minnesota is brutal. Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, Iowa, Nebraska, State College PA are all freezing in the winter and most of them are more in the middle of nowhere than Syracuse. I agree, the weather argument is so stupid.

Last edited:
Or Cincinnati

I'm flying in from NYC, is it worth the trouble doing a connecting flight to get to Dayton or is the drive easy from Columbus or Cincy? Appreciate the info.

Do they? I think we overestimate that here.

Baylor’s not known for their massive or vocal fan base...I can’t even name their home court...yet they’ve been dominating college basketball the last 2 years.

I think style of play, the coaching staff, preparing for the nba, etc are the most important aspects to recruits in 2021 vs anything.

We have plenty of positive in those fields too
I think this will change a lot in the NIL era. Kids are gonna want to go to colleges that offer them the best opportunities to brand themselves and make money. That will be schools with big rabid fan bases and elite national brands. Syracuse certainly fits that bill, more so than a school like Baylor or even a program like Virginia.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom