ESPN Lay-offs | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Lay-offs

MaxwellCuse

All Conference
So a few days after the SEC network is announced ESPN announces that 300-400 employees will receive the pink slip. Word around town is that ESPN's "over-paying" for content is driving these lay-offs. Although the buzz is about the SEC and US (Tennis) Open, how much do you want to bet that certain internet "insiders" will attempt to put the blame on the ACC. It will also be interesting to see how long it takes for the Boneyard folks to begin seeing this as another way to put the screws to the Nutmeg State.

http://ftw.usatoday.com/2013/05/espn-announces-difficult-layoffs/

They should purge from the top. I am sure guys like Bermann and Vitale get paid more than anyone else. Get rid of all the stale BS, like those two and Stuart Scott and even Bob Lee. It would be a great time for ESPN to go in a new direction, concentrating on sports journalism and the endless number of great stories generated by sports and capitalizing on our illogical obsession with college and professional sports. Don't make the story, tell the story, good or bad, stories based on facts not agenda. Imagine that???

Disney stock is at an all-time and they get more of their profits from ESPN than every single thing else that Disney owns. ESPN is having to spend more money now that Fox Sports 1 and NBCSN have launched. I would blame the lousy deal ESPN paid MLB to keep baseball more than anything else. However, because their are no sports in the summer time ESPN had to overpay to keep MLB on its network. These job cuts stink, and I feel for those who are gone, but Disney sadly only cares about profits margins.

However, I can guarantee this will be spun into blaming the ACC because ESPN had to spend an extra 50 million over the life of their contract because that is the it thing right now. UConn fans are slowly turning into WVU fans and it is sad as they should be patient, but instead want to declare war.

UConn fans are slowly turning into WVU fans and it is sad as they should be patient, but instead want to declare war.

Got these 3 visuals immediatly:
UConn's war chest
images

UConn's arsenal
images

UConn's Intel
shutterstock_59243428.jpg

Disney stock is at an all-time and they get more of their profits from ESPN than every single thing else that Disney owns. ESPN is having to spend more money now that Fox Sports 1 and NBCSN have launched. I would blame the lousy deal ESPN paid MLB to keep baseball more than anything else. However, because their are no sports in the summer time ESPN had to overpay to keep MLB on its network. These job cuts stink, and I feel for those who are gone, but Disney sadly only cares about profits margins.

However, I can guarantee this will be spun into blaming the ACC because ESPN had to spend an extra 50 million over the life of their contract because that is the it thing right now. UConn fans are slowly turning into WVU fans and it is sad as they should be patient, but instead want to declare war.
That is their MO, right? Burning bridges instead of seeing the big picture and being patient.

I have had reasonable conservations with Florida State, Georgia Tech, North Carolina fans these past couple of days on the Ga. Tech board($cout board its underrated board for their ACC realignment thread and full of good guys), North Carolina board and UConn board. I have been respectful on each board, and the UConn fans want a pound of flesh each time I post.I don't bear bait or anything I just say what I know and believe and they want to just snap at SU fans. They expect undying loyalty from us when our fanbase has no control over our administration, and whether they want to deal with the truth or not the lawsuit from 10 years ago hurt them in the eyes of ACC fans and a probably the leadership as well.

They should purge from the top. I am sure guys like Bermann and Vitale get paid more than anyone else. Get rid of all the stale BS, like those two and Stuart Scott and even Bob Lee. It would be a great time for ESPN to go in a new direction, concentrating on sports journalism and the endless number of great stories generated by sports and capitalizing on our illogical obsession with college and professional sports. Don't make the story, tell the story, good or bad, stories based on facts not agenda. Imagine that???

But...but...aren't they an enterntainment network?!?!?!

Most of their new people suck, so I'd start cutting from the bottom. That and Marc Schwarz, of course.

Darren Rovell, Chris Berman, Mark Schwarz, Stuart Scott, Dick Vitale.

Fire them all.

It's the economy folks. They are preparing for the collapse.

That is their MO, right? Burning bridges instead of seeing the big picture and being patient.

Right. Because message board posting is one of the big drivers in re-alignment.

Right. Because message board posting is one of the big drivers in re-alignment.
No, I meant the lawsuit that UConn started at the first round of conference realignment. It was a shortsighted move and may have cost the university. You would have to admit, Syracuse played it well and it worked out very well for Syracuse.

This is a typical corporate reorg - purge high comp employees with limited digital skill sets and rehire younger ones with better digital skill sets at half the cost and half the number needed. It sucks but it is what is happening across the nation keeping unemployed rates high but companies complaining that there is a lack of skilled labor to compete in the digital age.

Most of their new people suck, so I'd start cutting from the bottom. That and Marc Schwarz, of course.
Can't agree more. Although, I've always thought Stuart Scott sucked (when your witty comment lasts longer than the highlight, it's too long). Sportcenter used to be a launching pad for talent and I can't think of any new SC anchors that stand out to me. They all try way too hard to be the next Dan Patrick or Kenny Mayne and none of them stand out as a straight news guy like Tirico. Why can't the "world wide leader" find real talent when they surely have their pick?

Can you imagine getting axed and having to see the miserable Rick Reilly columns still up on the site three times a week? That would kill me.

Can you imagine getting axed and having to see the miserable Rick Reilly columns still up on the site three times a week? That would kill me.
It's enough to make you want to smack the guy.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

What about Stephen A. Smith?!!! Surely he deserves a pink slip as well!
I don't care for Stephen A.'s CAP LOCKS talking style, but the guy is genuine and doesn't just troll the audience like Skip Bayless does for attention. Nothing Skip says is original you know what he is going to say before he says it. If Stephen A. didn't talk like he had CAP LOCKS on I could give him a chance because I may not agree with him, but he brings decent takes unlike Skip.

What about Stephen A. Smith?!!! Surely he deserves a pink slip as well!
No way. He's the best, quite frankly.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2