ESPN listing of underclassmen | Syracusefan.com

ESPN listing of underclassmen

joct

2nd String
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ecided-undecided-nba-draft-college-basketball

What amazes me every year isn't so much that underclassmen leave, but how there is more kids that go early than there are spots for them. This list has 24 declared as of now, 11 probables, and another 14 on the fence. The probables and on the fence list includes some top guys, including Anthony Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Andre Dummond.

There's only 30 1st round picks to go around. Add in a few seniors, a few foreigners, and a lot of these guys will end up disappointed with going undrafted or getting 2nd round non-guaranteed deals, though granted some will make teams. Last year 42 underclassmen stayed in the draft, with only 18 going in the 1st round.

Is it that a lot of these guys have people in their ear telling them they are 1st round locks? Guys who just figure to roll the dice and don't mind going to Europe or D-league if it doesn't work? Guys who've just had it with college? I'm sure each case is different. LSU's Hamilton is the only one on the list who will be graduating, who just is giving up his last year. It just seems as though the discussion every year is how college hoops is losing top talent to the NBA, but each year there are a lot of guys it just simply loses.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...ecided-undecided-nba-draft-college-basketball

What amazes me every year isn't so much that underclassmen leave, but how there is more kids that go early than there are spots for them. This list has 24 declared as of now, 11 probables, and another 14 on the fence. The probables and on the fence list includes some top guys, including Anthony Davis, Kidd-Gilchrist, and Andre Dummond.

There's only 30 1st round picks to go around. Add in a few seniors, a few foreigners, and a lot of these guys will end up disappointed with going undrafted or getting 2nd round non-guaranteed deals, though granted some will make teams. Last year 42 underclassmen stayed in the draft, with only 18 going in the 1st round.

Is it that a lot of these guys have people in their ear telling them they are 1st round locks? Guys who just figure to roll the dice and don't mind going to Europe or D-league if it doesn't work? Guys who've just had it with college? I'm sure each case is different. LSU's Hamilton is the only one on the list who will be graduating, who just is giving up his last year. It just seems as though the discussion every year is how college hoops is losing top talent to the NBA, but each year there are a lot of guys it just simply loses.
lot of bad advice. Agents get around 15%, I think, of their contracts. In exchange, they provide housing, training, food, expenses for a couple months. If an agent thinks a kid has a 50% chance of getting drafted, why not take this chance? Spend 10,000 on a kid and there's a 50% chance you get a 100,000 commission. I'll take those odds with 10 early entrants every year :noidea:

Agents may receive 10-15% commission on endorsement deals they secure for players, but in the NBA, an agent's commission on a player's NBA salary is capped at 4%.

To the OP, I'd say the reason why so many players declare is primarily a mixture of guys being sick of going to class and bad advice from agents/confidants.

Agents may receive 10-15% commission on endorsement deals they secure for players, but in the NBA, an agent's commission on a player's NBA salary is capped at 4%.

To the OP, I'd say the reason why so many players declare is primarily a mixture of guys being sick of going to class and bad advice from agents/confidants.
ah thanks for the info, I was curious about commission rates. Still, 4% of 1 million = 40,000, which is more than an agent would spend on a potential draftee for 3 months :noidea:

Just a sad reflection on the state of academia in the U.S. Maybe those Exxon commercials from the Masters will light a fuse somewhere.

Just a sad reflection on the state of academia in the U.S. Maybe those Exxon commercials from the Masters will light a fuse somewhere.
education in the US is a lost cause. I'd say our top students and schools are the best and brightest in the world, it's the bottom 80-90% that are very much below other leading nations, which brings our average to a laughable quality

No. Its a comment on forcing kids to go to college to play pro basketball

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

Some kids just aren't cut out for college, some desperately need the money, and some are simply misguided. Every kid has a different reason to try to go early.

I assume that not all these kids aspire to the NBA but don't want
Any more school and want a job. Hoops in Europe or Asia also pays
Well if they can't hook on in the NBA - certainly better for them
Then staying in a place they don't want to be.

I assume that not all these kids aspire to the NBA but don't want
Any more school and want a job. Hoops in Europe or Asia also pays
Well if they can't hook on in the NBA - certainly better for them
Then staying in a place they don't want to be.
was that a poem?

ah thanks for the info, I was curious about commission rates. Still, 4% of 1 million = 40,000, which is more than an agent would spend on a potential draftee for 3 months :noidea:

I'm sure the agent gets repaid for any of those expenditures when the contract is signed. At least the Above The Table ones.

No. Its a comment on forcing kids to go to college to play pro basketball

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk

And many of them, perhaps most, want to play pro basketball b/c they don't give two shiits about their education.

Say 50 kids leave early this year (i.e. w/out a diploma)
I'm guessing 10 will ultimately finish their degree at a later date.

Of the roughly 40 remaining, how many will be as well off, or better off, in 2030 by making the decision to drop out now? I think that number is very low, perhaps 10-15%.

And many of them, perhaps most, want to play pro basketball b/c they don't give two shiits about their education.

Say 50 kids leave early this year (i.e. w/out a diploma)
I'm guessing 10 will ultimately finish their degree at a later date.

Of the roughly 40 remaining, how many will be as well off, or better off, in 2030 by making the decision to drop out now? I think that number is very low, perhaps 10-15%.
I think 10/50 finishing their degree is generous. Think Donte or Flynn are ever gonna finish? If you leave after 1 or 2 years, completing your degree is at least 2-3 years of full time school, later in your life, when you probably have kids. That's assuming they were on track to graduate. Most schools require 120 credits for a degree, but you only need 12 credits per semester to be able to play. A one and done could very easily have 24/120 credits done, and you're looking at 3.5 years of full time school to graduate, unless you take summer courses.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom