ESPN morning decisions | Syracusefan.com

ESPN morning decisions

Newhouser

Hall of Fame
I know this is off topic and will probably be moved to another thread, but I have been working from home the last few days and came across the Greenberg ESPN vehicle. What were the decision makers at the four letter thinking with that debacle? After watching I asked myself "who is watching this" and have found apparently nobody. If this is Skipper's final act it is dreadful. I don't get the appeal of Greenberg and I think they were fortunate Mike & Mike had found a niche - so let's break that up and push a guy with no fans, pair him with a woman who has no successful shows on her resume, and lets pay everyone millions and build a set in NYC. How do high paid execs come to these decisions? What research on what planet could have convinced what I am assuming our smart people that this was going to be big? I am lost.

I know this is off topic and will probably be moved to another thread, but I have been working from home the last few days and came across the Greenberg ESPN vehicle. What were the decision makers at the four letter thinking with that debacle? After watching I asked myself "who is watching this" and have found apparently nobody. If this is Skipper's final act it is dreadful. I don't get the appeal of Greenberg and I think they were fortunate Mike & Mike had found a niche - so let's break that up and push a guy with no fans, pair him with a woman who has no successful shows on her resume, and lets pay everyone millions and build a set in NYC. How do high paid execs come to these decisions? What research on what planet could have convinced what I am assuming our smart people that this was going to be big? I am lost.
I think they were under the misconception that Mike Greenberg is likable. I think that they could put almost any two guys on in the 6-10 am time slot and they would do well.

The appeal of Mike and Mike for those that liked it was the juxtaposition of former athlete manly man Golic with prissy unathletic whiner Greenberg. How they didn't understand that is beyond me. It seemed obvious to me. This is what happens when lazy businessmen make decisions instead of people that understand and genuinely care about the product they make.

The appeal of Mike and Mike for those that liked it was the juxtaposition of former athlete manly man Golic with prissy unathletic whiner Greenberg. How they didn't understand that is beyond me. It seemed obvious to me. This is what happens when lazy businessmen make decisions instead of people that understand and genuinely care about the product they make.
Yes 1,000 times! I would also add that Golic brought a little of the Skipper/Homer Simpson humorous/buffoonish likability that Greenberg was the perfect Gilligan/Ned Flanders foil for. Except that Greenberg is decidedly unlikable on his own and always has been. I miss M & M in the morning drive time. But the G & W show is light years more entertaining than this mess.

Yes 1,000 times! I would also add that Golic brought a little of the Skipper/Homer Simpson humorous/buffoonish likability that Greenberg was the perfect Gilligan/Ned Flanders foil for. Except that Greenberg is decidedly unlikable on his own and always has been. I miss M & M in the morning drive time. But the G & W show is light years more entertaining than this mess.
but aren't the G&W numbers also trending south? I thought I read that but will have to look.

but aren't the G&W numbers also trending south? I thought I read that but will have to look.
I think he's comparing it to the Greenberg debacle, not the M&M show.

What little I've seen of G&W is that it's too serious. It needs some goofiness. I can't listen on the radio where I live, so I haven't caught too much. There is an aversion to anything that isn't local or at least SEC in Knoxville, where they can't admit they're not the center of the sports universe.

Last edited:
M&M was unbearably awful, for me. 6 minutes of talk and then 10 minutes of commercials, including the Progressive report brought to you by Subway on the Geico phone line and the Google internet connection...but to break up a successful show and then to bring them both back...in the same time slot? I stopped listening to ESPN radio when Kornheiser left.

I think he's comparing it to the Greenberg debacle, not the M&M show.

What little I've seen of G&W is that it's too serious. It needs a some goofiness. I can't listen on the radio where I live. There is an aversion to anything that isn't local or at least SEC in Knoxville, where they can't admit they're not the center of the sports universe.

Really? I have the opposite take on Golic & Wingo. It's like two dads trying to out-goofy each other with corny dad jokes and other nonsense. At least they kept the Mike & Mike tradition of at least one or both of the hosts not being on the show 75% of the time.

Really? I have the opposite take on Golic & Wingo. It's like two dads trying to out-goofy each other with corny dad jokes and other nonsense. At least they kept the Mike & Mike tradition of at least one or both of the hosts not being on the show 75% of the time.
Maybe it is. I have only seen short samples every now and then.

I think they were under the misconception that Mike Greenberg is likable. I think that they could put almost any two guys on in the 6-10 am time slot and they would do well.

I think Greenberg is likable. Problem is the other seats at the table. The ever politically correct recipe of rounding it out the white male host with at least one black male and a female. Rose can't talk sports past LeBron, booger LeBron and sec fb, and Michelle, well...she's pretty. This isnt on greenberg. He IS the talent that put mike and mike on the map carrying a hack like golic. What's worse than golic? 2 golics. Wingo and those 2 are a horrible listen. The fact that so many talented people got the axe while jr got the red carpet treatment is nauseating

I think Greenberg is likable. Problem is the other seats at the table. The ever politically correct recipe of rounding it out the white male host with at least one black male and a female. Rose can't talk sports past LeBron, booger LeBron and sec fb, and Michelle, well...she's pretty. This isnt on greenberg. He IS the talent that put mike and mike on the map carrying a hack like golic. What's worse than golic? 2 golics. Wingo and those 2 are a horrible listen. The fact that so many talented people got the axe while jr got the red carpet treatment is nauseating

I don't agree with your take on Beadle. I bet she can talk sports better than most on this board. Jalen Rose is a waste of space, however, beyond some semi-interesting NBA takes.

I don't agree with your take on Beadle. I bet she can talk sports better than most on this board. Jalen Rose is a waste of space, however, beyond some semi-interesting NBA takes.

You are right, i didn't give her any credit. She is obviously more diversified than booger and jalen when talking about all the major sports . I dig Greenberg , think is extremely articulate , charming , and has worked enough as a beat reporter(chicago) to have some good perspective.

I actually haven't seen the new show once. I was more commenting on past shows I've seen/heard them on.

When they give Beadle a format where she can talk sports, she is sharp and knows as much as anyone. But usually she is either talking about stupid peripherally related like on this show, or moderating a debate between two big empty headed former athletes.

Im not sure Greenburg knows anything about any sport

Greenberg used to be tolerable when he came across as the "everyman" to Mike Golic the "arrogant former athlete who couldnt relate to fans". But eventually, he started trying to be the smartest guy in the room every time, taking funky and contrarian positions very often.

Greenberg used to be tolerable when he came across as the "everyman" to Mike Golic the "arrogant former athlete who couldnt relate to fans". But eventually, he started trying to be the smartest guy in the room every time, taking funky and contrarian positions very often.

Very much agree with your last two posts about Beadle and Greenberg

The Golic and Wingo show is solid.

The Greenberg show is truly unwatchable.

They should stop paying Greenberg by the word. He never says anything you can communicate well in 1 sentence. Instead he says it in 4 paragraphs. Too damn annoying.

I was surprised to see that they were putting Greenberg's show opposite Golic's. Moving G&W to ESPNNews, while Greeny gets regular ESPN shows you who the suits want to sink the money into and succeed. I caught a bit of Greeny's show the past two days. It is nothing special. Whatever magic/chemistry/whatever he had with Golic isn't present in his new show at all. At this point, he might as well leave ESPN and cohost Good Morning America or a Kelly and ____________ show for ABC. I do like Beadle. I don't think she's given enough to do in this show, as it's clearly Greenberg and Company, not equal billing. Jalen I can take as a featured guest when NBA is being discussed, but not as an everyday player. Regarding Booger, I'm not sure what his purpose is. I kind of dig li'l Golic. Wingo is just your cookie cutter ESPN employee. You could sub in Adnan, or Stugotz, or just about anyone else and the show wouldn't change much. Trey doesn't bring much of interest to the mix.

Given my choice between the two, I'll listen to Golic.