ESPN Ticker: Boise St and Air Force not likely to Join BE | Syracusefan.com

ESPN Ticker: Boise St and Air Force not likely to Join BE

arbitragegls

All Conference
...and Houston and SMU have not said yes either...this may turn into a even bigger fiasco than what has taken place.

The deal seems to be bring in four schools who want the BE present football teams to commit to higher exit fee while the BE schools wont commit until the four schools do come in...and now Boise ST and Air Force have second and third thoughts...ugh

If you create too much of a penalty to leave you are going to drive away schools who aren't sure they want to stay indefinately.l You may even cause current schools to leave now rather than in the future, even if they have to go independent. It may actually cause things to fly apart.

...and Houston and SMU have not said yes either...this may turn into a even bigger fiasco than what has taken place.

The deal seems to be bring in four schools who want the BE present football teams to commit to higher exit fee while the BE schools wont commit until the four schools do come in...and now Boise ST and Air Force have second and third thoughts...ugh
Something is strange here.

Inviting teams that reject the invitation?

That is not supposed to happen.

Very odd.

Somehow and in some way, the reports must be wrong.

ESPN's Andy Katz on Sports Center saying same as ticker...doubtful that Boise State and Air Force come aboard...if so, this really turns into a fiasco once again...DOA!

Very odd.

You right something does not seem right. Did providence learn of the combination of the 22 team conference and panic and send out invites before people had agreed with a hope and a dream... maybe... if so they may see this blow up in their face.

You right something does not seem right. Did providence learn of the combination of the 22 team conference and panic and send out invites before people had agreed with a hope and a dream... maybe... if so they may see this blow up in their face.

Since the proposed MWC-CUSA merger/affiliation has been in the news for at least the last month I don't see how Marinatto can claim it was a surprise. I also don't think the Syracuse and Pitt departure took many people in Providence by surprise despite the story of Marinatto learning about the ACC expansion while attending the WVU-Maryland game. Incompetent or not, I find it incredulous that a guy in Marinatto's position could be victimized as often as he claims.

Its possible that this is the BE saying look we tried. The fball and bball schools must know you don't officially invite schools who aren't 100% to accept.

Its possible that this is the BE saying look we tried. The fball and bball schools must know you don't officially invite schools who aren't 100% to accept.

Exactly my opinion too. This is a last-ditch "hail Mary" play to get the FB stabilized again. But if it doesn't work, the BBall onlies get what they want anyway -- which is a return to their roots. In truth, they probably know they are escalating the demise of BE football, rather than drawing it out, and that's okay with them. But they have to look like they tried something, anything.

What was wrong with the 80's, when the Big East was a basketball only conference? The only reason it ever changed was that a couple of the schools played football, too and wanted a football conference.

If Boise and Air Force do in fact join the Big East Conference it is going to hurt the creditability of ESPN's reporting in college realignment in my opinion. ESPN ignored the Flipper story, and I just don't believe they would be hedging without more reasoning, after reading Air Force's AD quotes in the Denver Post last Sunday. Maybe Air Force and Boise State are making these threats to get all sports invites to the Big East. Its not fair to Boise State to come in for football save the Big East BCS bid, and not reap the reward of having Louisville, or UConn basketball coming into Boise State for basketball.
'

If Boise and Air Force do in fact join the Big East Conference it is going to hurt the creditability of ESPN's reporting in college realignment in my opinion. ESPN ignored the Flipper story, and I just don't believe they would be hedging without more reasoning, after reading Air Force's AD quotes in the Denver Post last Sunday. Maybe Air Force and Boise State are making these threats to get all sports invites to the Big East. Its not fair to Boise State to come in for football save the Big East BCS bid, and not reap the reward of having Louisville, or UConn basketball coming into Boise State for basketball.
'

We have already seen that ESPN is involved in conference expansion. Couldn't NBC be involved as well? If they really want programming wouldn't they want Boise and Air Force to stay in a merged MWC/CUSA? Doesn't NBC run the MWCN? Adding all those markets in CUSA would mean more money. Right now NBC/Vs can't touch the BCS conferences until the current contracts run out. So could they be behind this merger in hopes of a BCS auto bid for the 22 schools?

'

Neither school will join the BE, given the status quo. Plus, I believe Boise will become an avg team after Moore departs at QB, and their senior class leaves as well. It's not like they are getting top recruiting classes to maintain their elite status for years to come.

I think the basketball schools will ultimately do what Notre Dame wants them to do. In my opinion Notre Dame wants to park its non-football teams in some form of the current hydrid. If the BE "returns to its roots" and becomes a paraochial basketball conference Notre Dame is likely out. Therefore, whether or not Boise and Air Force are in, my guess is the BE will try to find other schools to make football work. Of course, if Louisville, WVU and UCONN get offers from other conferences over the next few weeks that changes the landscape significantly enough that I can see Notre Dame throwing in the towel on the conference.

Very odd.

No, it's just that the people in Providence don't seem to understand that you have a deal in hand before you go yapping to the press about it.

'

Boise State or AF doesn't want to be in for other sports ... they would go broke in travel fees.

I wouldn't be surprised in basketball is on the table though pending certain conditions (get their teams better, stay with the conference for 5 years, etc.).

No, it's just that the people in Providence don't seem to understand that you have a deal in hand before you go yapping to the press about it.

I think this quote from yesterday's story says it all:
"An official in the Big East, speaking on condition of anonymity because the conference had not authorized anyone to speak publicly about its plans, told The Associated Press the invites could go out as soon as next week, but could take longer.

The officials also said Commissioner John Marinatto was in Cincinnati on Friday meeting with representatives from UCF.

Conferences do not publicly invite new members unless they are confident those invitations will be accepted."
This anonymous source blabbed minutes after the meeting concluded.

Marinatto has control over nothing and his machinations continue to be an embarassent.

I think this quote from yesterday's story says it all:

This anonymous source blabbed minutes after the meeting concluded.

Marinatto has control over nothing and his machinations continue to be an embarassent.
clowns.jpg

Marinatto and his assistants taking a picture. These leaks aren't necessary. It is looking good for us to get out of the Big East a lot faster than 27 months. Put Boise St and their 6% graduation rate for football players, SMU, Houston, Air Force, Louisville, Cincinnati in the West Division, and UConn, Rutgers, Navy, UCF, USF, and WVU in the other and let SU and Pitt go to the ACC.

...as of 4 PM Boise State President says havent received invitation and is exploring all conference possibilities...likes what MWC has done for him and his team...says only had a couple of short calls with BE so far...hmmmmmmmm; something amiss here!