ESPN: Which Freshman Outside The "Big 4" Has Impressed You The Most? | Syracusefan.com

ESPN: Which Freshman Outside The "Big 4" Has Impressed You The Most?

OrangeTown

All Conference
http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-win-national-championship-college-basketball

Question was asked of Bilas and Goodman.

Bilas said Vonleh or LaVine.

Goodman said Ennis:

"Goodman: I love Jay's call on UCLA's LaVine. NO ONE is talking about him, and he's been terrific while sneaking under the radar out west. I'll go with a guy, though, who is steady as a rock: Syracuse point guard Tyler Ennis. He's completely different than his predecessor, Michael Carter-Williams, but he's just a winner. Period.
Ennis knows how to run a team and make life easier for his teammates. Just ask fellow Canadian and Kansas freshman Wiggins, who played with the pure point guard the past couple of summers. Ennis makes the simple plays, takes care of the ball (he has an assist-turnover ratio of nearly 5-to-1) and is an above-average shooter. Ennis is coming off his best game of his young career in a dominating win over Indiana. Just watch how he delivers passes: He gets guys the ball where they need it."

If he continues to play the way he has the past three games, he would definitely be the guy IMO.

Who's the 4th in the Big Four? Embiid or Aaron Gordon? Whichever of those two isn't included should definitely be in the discussion as well. Gordon was really impressive against Duke, and followed it up with a 19/8. His free throw shooting is a major concern though.

LaVine was a good choice too. He's shooting somewhere around 70% from the field and 60% from 3 point range and is already being talked about as a lottery pick after he was barely a top 50 recruit.

Embiid - This guy is going to be GREAT. A more athletic Olajuwan at the same stage, with a better offensive game.

Regarding Ennis: my dad just threw out a comparison I hadn't heard and admittedly don't remember seeing him enough to know his game...Mo Cheeks. That seem apt? I trust my dad's takes on hoops above basically anyone else, so I'm wondering if anyone else sees that similarity.

Embiid - This guy is going to be GREAT. A more athletic Olajuwan at the same stage, with a better offensive game.

Sorry, I've watched hoops a long time and its impossible to be more purely athletic than Hakeem Olajuwan. His blocks were frequently outlet passes where he would sprint down to the other end of the court and receive the ball for a thunderous dunk.

I still fondly remember after the 1983 NCAA tourney semi-final game against Louisville when he was interviewed and asked what Coach Guy Lewis (not known for his in-game coaching) said to the team at half time to get the them going.

"Coach say, Team with the most dunk will win the game."

Okay I just re-read your post and you did qualify it with "at the same stage" which is possible.

Regarding Ennis: my dad just threw out a comparison I hadn't heard and admittedly don't remember seeing him enough to know his game...Mo Cheeks. That seem apt? I trust my dad's takes on hoops above basically anyone else, so I'm wondering if anyone else sees that similarity.
He's a little before my time as a fan, but Cheeks was semi-infamous for stripping the ball on the fastbreak.

That is a great comparison, IMO. Loved Mo Cheeks. Calm, cool, collected.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mens-col...-win-national-championship-college-basketball

Question was asked of Bilas and Goodman.

Bilas said Vonleh or LaVine.

Goodman said Ennis:

"Goodman: I love Jay's call on UCLA's LaVine. NO ONE is talking about him, and he's been terrific while sneaking under the radar out west. I'll go with a guy, though, who is steady as a rock: Syracuse point guard Tyler Ennis. He's completely different than his predecessor, Michael Carter-Williams, but he's just a winner. Period.
Ennis knows how to run a team and make life easier for his teammates. Just ask fellow Canadian and Kansas freshman Wiggins, who played with the pure point guard the past couple of summers. Ennis makes the simple plays, takes care of the ball (he has an assist-turnover ratio of nearly 5-to-1) and is an above-average shooter. Ennis is coming off his best game of his young career in a dominating win over Indiana. Just watch how he delivers passes: He gets guys the ball where they need it."
Who s going higher in draft wiggins or Ennis? It's not even close. Who would I rather gave on THIS team. It's close but I ll go with TYLER ENNIS!

Who s going higher in draft wiggins or Ennis? It's not even close. Who would I rather gave on THIS team. It's close but I ll go with TYLER ENNIS!
And I ll take Tyley over vonleh or Selden too!

Nice call by your dad. I like that. Mo Cheeks played at his own pace, had his head on a swivel, like we see Ennis do. Cheeks was a bit lankier, but Ennis plays a lot like I remember him.

Sorry, I've watched hoops a long time and its impossible to be more purely athletic than Hakeem Olajuwan. His blocks were frequently outlet passes where he would sprint down to the other end of the court and receive the ball for a thunderous dunk.

I still fondly remember after the 1983 NCAA tourney semi-final game against Louisville when he was interviewed and asked what Coach Guy Lewis (not known for his in-game coaching) said to the team at half time to get the them going.

"Coach say, Team with the most dunk will win the game."

Okay I just re-read your post and you did qualify it with "at the same stage" which is possible.
The problem for the kid is he will be gone and won't get to develop in college. The way Self develops bigs, he could be an all time great with 3 years at Kansas.