Etan Thomas Weighing in on One and Dones | Syracusefan.com

Etan Thomas Weighing in on One and Dones

Sorry, but choose is spelled wrong. C'mon ESPN editor

although i disagree with etan at times (he is just very racial for my liking) he is a really great guy and great asset to the university. i wish/hope DG will get him up for a few games in the coming seasons.

i had the pleasure of meeting him after a hawks game last year. we exchanged 'go cuses.' he was a really down to earth guy and seemed to enjoy the go cuse.

I like Etan personally and certainly as a ball player. Seems like a guy who really wants to do good in the world which makes him better than 90% of the me first NBA. But his views on the world and this country can be pretty nuts and he can undermine his own credibility severely with them at times.

I agree with Etan 100%. There should be no age requirement. Let kids try and fail or succeed. Valuing the education is paramount. Perhaps when kids see the down side to not succeeding in basketball, they will attach greater value on the education.
BTW, Etan's Mom sounds like a great lady and a good influence on her son.

the part i find funny is how conservative capitalist he is regarding the age limit...

Even though this rule can benefit kids that overestimate their ability, that was never the intention. The NBA wants players to enter the league as ready as they can get them, but everyone knows teams will draft potential over proven commodities because no GM wants to be the one that passed on the next Jordan in favor of Sam Bowie. If they can get kids to go to college, even for only a year, they can watch them mature a little physically and mentally. They can see how they play through a whole season against coaches that will game plan to stop them and against players nearer to their ability game in and game out. If that allows both the NBA and some players to realize they were overrated coming out of highschool it benefits both. The NBA gets players that are more ready to play, and the kids have a chance at a wake-up call before they throw away a free education, and they have the opportunity to develop their skills with the dream of the NBA still attainable. I think a business has the right to establish entry level requirements as long as they aren't racially or religiously biased, and the age requirement is not.