etan thomas | Syracusefan.com

etan thomas

tbonezone

Living Legend
caught him talking to c-spans brian lamb last night about his recent books and philosophies. (fatherhood and we matter) knew the dude was smart and socially active when he was here on the hill but what a well articulated voice for his generation he has become. something perhaps not discussed enuf with kids jumping early for the money is the value of a good education and the strengthening of the mind as well as the body.
always hear "well i can comeback and finish later down the road " but keep in mind you're now the old part time dude in the room and not really mixing with your peers. graduate maybe but a whole different experience. if you want to actually do something with your degree think twice.

Last edited:
I know someone who used to serve food to the team for several years and stopped just before Carmelo came. (She was so mad about that!) We were just talking about this last week. She said Deshaun Williams was the biggest jerk to her, but almost all of the kids were starved, ate their food and took off. She said, “The player who was the most respectful to me was Etan Thomas.” He always asked how she was doing, had a smile for her, and seemed very quiet.

I have always admired Etan’s development after he left SU. He is introspective, intelligent, and articulate in writing and his speech. Love him!

caught him talking to c-spans brian lamb last night about his recent books and philosophies. (fatherhood and we matter) knew the dude was smart and socially active when he was here on the hill but what a well articulated voice for his generation he has become. something perhaps not discussed enuf with kids jumping early for the money is the value of a good education and the strengthening of the mind as well as the body.
always hear "well i can comeback and finish later down the road " but keep in mind you're now the old part time dude in the room and not really mixing with your peers. graduate maybe but a whole different experience. if you want to actually do something with your degree think twice.
Etan is a rare, self-driven, socially-aware, individual. Sure a college degree helped him expand his mind, but I wouldn’t compare Etan to other college basketball players.

Derrick Etan Thomas is one of my heroes -- smart, compassionate, and a damn good bball player. I would love to have the opportunity to sit and talk with him.

I know someone who used to serve food to the team for several years and stopped just before Carmelo came. (She was so mad about that!) We were just talking about this last week. She said Deshaun Williams was the biggest jerk to her, but almost all of the kids were starved, ate their food and took off. She said, “The player who was the most respectful to me was Etan Thomas.” He always asked how she was doing, had a smile for her, and seemed very quiet.

I have always admired Etan’s development after he left SU. He is introspective, intelligent, and articulate in writing and his speech. Love him!

Heyyy... lets be careful with "almost all of the kids were starved"

Im pretty sure you just meant they were hungry when the got there. But saying "the kids were starved" in this day in age with paying collegiate athletes comes across different. And it would be completely wrong. Food is not something basketball players ever have to worry about.

Im pretty sure you just meant they were hungry when the got there. But saying "the kids were starved" in this day in age with paying collegiate athletes comes across different. And it would be completely wrong. Food is not something basketball players ever have to worry about.
Things may have been different in Etan's day, but anyway, I was "starved" a few minutes ago before I started my lunch.

But that's not what Shabazz Napier said! ;)

I completely agree. They are fed quite well.

"Starving" is New York speak for "hungry".

In New York, it's common to describe minor inconveniences in dramatic and hugely overstated terms.

Are you hungry? - "I'm starving!"

Would you like some water? - "I'm dying of thirst"

How was the traffic? - "It was absolute murder!"

Was it hot today? - "Brutal. Suffocating!"

"Starving" is New York speak for "hungry".

In New York, it's common to describe minor inconveniences in dramatic and hugely overstated terms.

Are you hungry? - "I'm starving!"

Would you like some water? - "I'm dying of thirst"

How was the traffic? - "It was absolute murder!"

Was it hot today? - "Brutal. Suffocating!"

well, you are using "starving" she used "ALMOST ALL THE KIDS WERE STARVED"

"he was STARVED" and "he was STARVING" mean 2 COMPLETELY different things to me. What Beadle used (i believe as an innocent mistake) is commonly how criminal behavior is described or even as an exaggeration in your NY book (im from NY. I live in NY now. I am keen on hyperbole. but thanks for the definitions) its unethical as far as how student athletes are treated. Which brings me to my next point, Syracuse football and basketball players are fed very well with basically unlimited SUID funds on top of it. I know this because Craig Forth was famous for buying everyone in line their meals. Anytime I went to lunch wtih football players, they bought for me.

Last edited:

He is great. He also is someone who is clearly proud to be a Syracuse alumni. His podcast has had a few Syracuse episodes after Pearl died and the final 4 run in a few years back. He had Hop on when he was still at Syracuse and you can tell he loves the school. I remember when he had J Hart, Duany, Otis and Griff on. This was before Griff came back. Anyway they were talking about Boeheim and Roberson and someone mentioned Boeheim always yelling at Kueth and Kueth said I think he just got use to yelling at me after a while. Then Otis says, "Kueth I don't know why Boeheim used to do that, I'm going to press him on that the next time I see him. We don't have to be scared of him no more. We grown now." It got a laugh from everyone.

Nice story. I don't always agree with Etan, but very impressed with how thoughtful he is on various topics. He's made me reconsider some of my positions. I'm proud he is part of the SU family.

Derrick wanted some company :p

"he was STARVED" and "he was STARVING" mean 2 COMPLETELY different things to me. What Beadle used (i believe as an innocent mistake) is commonly how criminal behavior is described or even as an exaggeration in your NY book (im from NY. I live in NY now. I am keen on hyperbole. but thanks for the definitions) its unethical as far as how student athletes are treated. Which brings me to my next point, Syracuse football and basketball players are fed very well with basically unlimited SUID funds on top of it. I know this because Craig Forth was famous for buying everyone in line their meals. Anytime I went to lunch wtih football players, they bought for me.
Good grief! Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt! My friend meant that the players were very very hungry because they had just gotten out of practice. They tended to bolt their food and then leave. And she said they were fed very well back then but believes they are fed even better now because nutrition has gotten so much attention.

conrad could do that in 6 minutes. but think the frosh class of jason hart , derrick etan thomas, ramel " the rock" lloyd , lasean howard and winfred walton. probably best ever defensively. probably had things played out differently best ever period. all the boxes were checked.

Last edited:
Good grief! Thank you for giving me the benefit of the doubt! My friend meant that the players were very very hungry because they had just gotten out of practice. They tended to bolt their food and then leave. And she said they were fed very well back then but believes they are fed even better now because nutrition has gotten so much attention.

In my defense, my 1st reply was light hearted. And it even contained a very embarrassing grammatical mistake which I’ve kept on there. So I’m certainly no grammar a hole.

Like I said, I think you used starved as an adjective which others may as well in the past tense but to me starved is a verb. Meaning it’s either a crime or its unethical. In the spirit of the most pressing debate in college sports, I thought it was kind of funny/ironic. That’s all.

Then Townie gave me the townie definition without realizing I’m the most townie there is. And he even used my “starving” the adjective instead of “starved” in his townie argument.

I have nothing but love for you Beadle. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Last edited:
In my defense, my 1st reply was light hearted. And it even contained a very embarrassing grammatical mistake which I’ve kept on there. So I’m certainly no grammar a hole.

Like I said, I think you used starved as an adjective which others may as well in the past tense but to me starved is a verb. Meaning it’s either a crime or its unethical. In the spirit of the most pressing debate in college sports, I thought it was kind of funny/ironic. That’s all.

Then Townie gave me the townie definition without realizing I’m the most townie there is. And he even used my “starving” the adjective instead of “starved” in his townie argument.

I have nothing but love for you, Bradle. Sorry for the misunderstanding.
I have nothing but love for you, Atlantis! I should have said “starving,” although that was an exaggeration. Apparently, I also don’t understand the definitions of “to bring” and “to take.” I blame Wisconsin. Do you bring the tuna fish hot dish to the pot luck or do you take it? Who the hell cares as long as it gets there?

Trying to get this thread back on track, I once talked to Etan in the grocery store check out line just before his graduation. He didn’t seem to mind my fawning queries at all!

Amazing that a guy who, as a freshman, would spaz like Beavis after every blocked shot, even as the play continued, would end up being a genius

Against Kentucky, he blocked a shot and started celebrating as the uk player recovered the ball and drained a 3.

Against Kentucky, he blocked a shot and started celebrating as the uk player recovered the ball and drained a 3.
Great Alaska Shootout right?

Dude, don't get so angry about a simple grammar mistake. People type colloquially on the Interwebs. Nothing to get you upset about. This is supposed to be a welcoming place.

Amazing that a guy who, as a freshman, would spaz like Beavis after every blocked shot, even as the play continued, would end up being a genius

I remember when he fouled out in 5 minutes of play in the first half against Georgetown at the Garden. Pretty sure that was his freshman year. That was McNabb's big game. I brought a group of my co-workers to that one. Hell of a time!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom