Ewing/ Autry | Syracusefan.com

Ewing/ Autry

Acesn8s

Starter
I hope I am wrong, but this feels like a lazy hire, and we have missed the tourney past two seasons, and you go with a former player with zero head coaching experience. I see how far a program can fall(thank god) when they just hire a former player, and Georgetown is having a hell of a hard time pulling the trigger to get rid of Ewing. Syracuse has National name recognition, I would have loved to see names they got interest from for this job, yet we went with Autry. I hope he wins and wins big but I hate the hire as of today.

I hope I am wrong, but this feels like a lazy hire, and we have missed the tourney past two seasons, and you go with a former player with zero head coaching experience. I see how far a program can fall(thank god) when they just hire a former player, and Georgetown is having a hell of a hard time pulling the trigger to get rid of Ewing. Syracuse has National name recognition, I would have loved to see names they got interest from for this job, yet we went with Autry. I hope he wins and wins big but I hate the hire as of today.
By the time you do a national search, the spring signing period and the portal season are over.

I think they are making a mistake by not going with Langel, Miller, or even Smart, Red has been part of this team that hasn’t been ranked in however long. Where are all the major recruits he brought in..

That’s just my opinion. Hope I’m wrong.

The more I think about this, the more I realize that this was the only way JW could push JAB out the door, this year.

Because he wouldn’t go willingly.

So, the whole Thanks Coach & btw Red is the new guy, effective immediately -
was the only play.

Red was an assistant recruiting vs Bill Self, Nate Oats, Cal, K, Roy etc etc etc

He had an arm tied against him while recruiting because Jim didn’t have the energy to help.

Give him a chance to see what he can do at the helm and see who he brings in to add to the staff.

I think they are making a mistake by not going with Langel, Miller, or even Smart, Red has been part of this team that hasn’t been ranked in however long. Where are all the major recruits he brought in..

That’s just my opinion. Hope I’m wrong.
Smart is the best option you name, in my opinion. How you could want Langel over Autry is bewildering

Look at how literally every former player is reacting to Autry being named HC.

That is so very important for the health of the program.

I don’t know why some folks can’t understand that.
The support and involvement of former players is one of the best things with our bball program. It’s a family. And a damn impressive one. We weren’t throwing that out the window. Autry is very well liked. Give him a shot.

Red was an assistant recruiting vs Bill Self, Nate Oats, Cal, K, Roy etc etc etc

He had an arm tied against him while recruiting because Jim didn’t have the energy to help.

Give him a chance to see what he can do at the helm and see who he brings in to add to the staff.
Didn’t they lose a recruit to DePaul last year?

Hard to keep up. Anything from Melo or DC that was posted?

Refer back to how Georgetown Alum were reacting to the Patrick Ewing hire, or if you don’t like that how Michigan alums were reacting to the Juwan Howard hire. All I’m saying is hiring somebody from within, after what a few hours seems lazy or just bending the knee to JB.

Refer back to how Georgetown Alum were reacting to the Patrick Ewing hire, or if you don’t like that how Michigan alums were reacting to the Juwan Howard hire. All I’m saying is hiring somebody from within, after what a few hours seems lazy or just bending the knee to JB.
JW has been pondering this decision for years. He knows the program, and the dynamics surrounding it; as well as anyone,

Like I said in another thread, you only get one chance to make an internal hire like this. If it doesn’t work they can quickly move on to the outside. But if they go outside now I suspect they’d be dealing with constant grumbling from the very alums and boosters that are desperately needed to fund the program.

It’s fine. Red will either get the job done, or he won’t. If it’s the latter we’ll try again.

Last edited:
JW has been pondering this decision for years. He knows the program, and the dynamics surrounding it; as well as anyone,

Like I said in another thread, you only get one chance to make an internal hire like this. If it doesn’t work they can quickly move on to the outside. But if they go outside now I suspect they’d be dealing with constant grumbling from the very alums and boosters that are desperately needed to fund the program.

It’s fine. Red will either get the job done, or he won’t. If it’s the matter we’ll try again.

Agreed. The program has to be true to itself post-Boeheim, or else it's no longer the program that rose to national prominence.

So you sacrifice one season for a better option in the long term..
This is Schrödinger’s coach. We won’t know if anyone would have been a better option until we see Autry actually run a program.

This!

And Ewing/Autry have zero similarities. Ewing was never even an assistant coach in college before he took over Georgetown.

The fact that our fans have little faith in our basketball alums and AD is weird.

So you sacrifice one season for a better option in the long term..
That's on way to think of it. You also could end up hiring someone like Kevin Stallings and you are worse than ever.

There is no comparo in stature between Ewing's stature at GTown and Red's stature here. It will not be hard to get rid of Red should that be necessary.

I think Red is the best internal hire, though I too, think an outside hire would have been better.

It is not that I doubt Red's abilities, but I have major concerns that he is inbred into Jimmy's style and philosophy.

If he can truly be his own man and bring new ideas consistent with the modern game to the table, then he will be successful.

You're starting to make me way too excited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom