Ex-Wisconsin player Nigel Hayes says team discussed game boycott vs Syracuse | Syracusefan.com

Ex-Wisconsin player Nigel Hayes says team discussed game boycott vs Syracuse

I assume a final four boycott is coming down the road, likely when cuse is a natty champ contender.

Not a defender of the NCAA, but a two-year postseason ban for the boycotting team ought to fix that pretty quickly.

I hate this talk but if any player does have a beef its him. He was a first rounder if he left as a sophomore and playing more college ball just tanked his stock.

You won't find a better example of a guy who cost himself millions by playing longer in college.

But dude take some responsibility leave with Dekker and Kaminsky if you care about money. You had the chance. After you beat UK you were going 1st.

Don't hate the player hate the game. His beef should really be with the NBA not college. He was fully developed and looked 25 when they took down UK in the final four. When he was a senior he looked like he was 32.

We played @ Madison in 2016. They matched us up 2 years in a row with them. 77-60 Wiscy. That was the game in reference in this thread. Hayes held up a 'Broke Badgers' sign that fall on college gameday when he decided to return for his senior year.

I was at the game you referenced at the Dome. Horrible loss we led the entire night and literally gave it away. They didn't even play well yet somehow won. But he was definitely referring to his senior year.

We played @ Madison in 2016. They matched us up 2 years in a row with them. 77-60 Wiscy. That was the game in reference in this thread. Hayes held up a 'Broke Badgers' sign that fall on college gameday when he decided to return for his senior year.

I was at the game you referenced at the Dome. Horrible loss we led the entire night and literally gave it away. They didn't even play well yet somehow won. But he was definitely referring to his senior year.

As for the game at the dome, that was a terrible game by both teams. You would have never guessed it that night, but we were watching two final 8 teams play, with one of them going to the Final 4.

Gotcha

As for the game at the dome, that was a terrible game by both teams. You would have never guessed it that night, but we were watching two final 8 teams play, with one of them going to the Final 4.

Not that it detracts from your point but Wisconsin was Sweet 16.

Sadly I was there and saw it first hand...ugly.....

I assume a final four boycott is coming down the road, likely when cuse is a natty champ contender.
You will never get four teams to boycott the Final Four if that's what you are intimating. Plus you wouldn't even get one to boycott because it would cost the university too much money.

I was at that game in Madison and sat a few rows behind the Cuse bench. The Badgers put on a clinic on how the beat our zone with their passing. The thing I remember most is after a bad turnover by Frank, JB called a quick timeout to take Frank out and lay into him. Frank knew what was coming to him, walked right past JB and pushed him out of his way toward the bench. I thought JB was going to lose it but JB just gave Frank the death scare the entire time out and no one said a word as Frank hid behind some assistant coaches in the huddle.

You will never get four teams to boycott the Final Four if that's what you are intimating. Plus you wouldn't even get one to boycott because it would cost the university too much money.

I certainly have no power to force a boycott, so you are right there. I would never say never though. Jalen Rose and Jason Williams have talked about it on air. I believe their perspective, as former players, is more insightful than your personal opinions.

On another note, the point of my post was a joke, not to argue the merits of a final four boycott.

I don't know if a boycott could happen, but ...

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a Final 4 boycott brought about the adoption of D-3's financial aid rules for everyone. "Now you'll have no worries about economic exploitation, lack of compensation for use of your image, ..."

Most teams have enough walk ons they could play the game. If the walk ons want to boycott and show support for the team a simple "You're a walk on. What are you boycotting?" should suffice. And an offer to go back to class and watch games from the stands if they still refuse to play. Just not in favor of paying college athletes. I'd rather allow them to get jobs, like the rest of the student body that are actually paying to go to school there and also subsidizing the athletes scholarships.

I do think players should get more but this kid should have left school earlier if he wanted to get paid.

I don't know if a boycott could happen, but ...

it wouldn't surprise me in the least if a Final 4 boycott brought about the adoption of D-3's financial aid rules for everyone. "Now you'll have no worries about economic exploitation, lack of compensation for use of your image, ..."

Realistically, what team that gets to the final four--after all of the hard work that went into getting there, with a national championship tantalizingly within reach--would consider a boycott?

Most teams have enough walk ons they could play the game. If the walk ons want to boycott and show support for the team a simple "You're a walk on. What are you boycotting?" should suffice. And an offer to go back to class and watch games from the stands if they still refuse to play. Just not in favor of paying college athletes. I'd rather allow them to get jobs, like the rest of the student body that are actually paying to go to school there and also subsidizing the athletes scholarships.

The students are not subsidizing the athlete's scholarships (in big time college hoops and basketball). The athletes are themselves subsidizing the university, the coaches, and (somewhat less directly) their fellow students.