Exactly one decade ago... | Syracusefan.com

Exactly one decade ago...

Remember thinking MCW was our best player since Carmelo early on that season when he was getting 10+ assists regularly. That Arkansas game was a fun one.

MCW was living up to the preseason hype, Southerland dropping 35 on Arkansas was such a nice surprise. Remember being pumped about Coleman early in the season too, unfortunately he got knee problems.

MCW was living up to the preseason hype, Southerland dropping 35 on Arkansas was such a nice surprise. Remember being pumped about Coleman early in the season too, unfortunately he got knee problems.
Yeah, I was rooting hard for Coleman. My favorite game for him was late in his career at home against FSU where he really played great and the Dome was going nuts every time he scored.

Jerami Grant came on strong for a stretch when he was getting the minutes as a freshman.

I remember in particular a 2013 home game with a good Cincinatti team where we played awful all game and still pulled it out at the end even though we were down by 4 or 5 with like 2 minutes left. And I remember never even considering that we might lose that one. Just felt like we were always going to win, in those years. Actually MCW hit a big, game tying 3 with about a minute left in that one too.

I was standing next to Southerland at the Baltimore Dinosaur BBQ a few years ago before the TBT. I didn’t really know what to say so I was like “hey do you remember that incredible game against Arkansas?” and he lit up and was like “I sure do!” and we talked about it for 5 minutes.

At first I felt like Chris Farley interviewing Paul McCartney on SNL.

Last edited:
I was standing next to Southerland at the Baltimore Dinosaur BBQ a few years ago before the TBT. I didn’t really know what to say so I was like “hey do you remember that incredible game against Arkansas?” and he lit up and was like “I sure do!” and we talked about it for like 5 minutes.

At least you didn’t mention his reputation for crop dusting.

….right?

Yeah, I was rooting hard for Coleman. My favorite game for him was late in his career at home against FSU where he really played great and the Dome was going nuts every time he scored.

Jerami Grant came on strong for a stretch when he was getting the minutes as a freshman.

I remember in particular a 2013 home game with a good Cincinatti team where we played awful all game and still pulled it out at the end even though we were down by 4 or 5 with like 2 minutes left. And I remember never even considering that we might lose that one. Just felt like we were always going to win, in those years. Actually MCW hit a big, game tying 3 with about a minute left in that one too.

If I remember that Cincy game was on Monday right after we upset Louisville on the road. I think that game is on Youtube.

But I had that same feeling back then. The Big East was such a gauntlet that even if we lost, there were always opportunities to bounce back from tough losses and get momentum going into tourney season. This Gtown team we lose to twice in the regular season but got our revenge in the BET

If I remember that Cincy game was on Monday right after we upset Louisville on the road. I think that game is on Youtube.

But I had that same feeling back then. The Big East was such a gauntlet that even if we lost, there were always opportunities to bounce back from tough losses and get momentum going into tourney season. This Gtown team we lose to twice in the regular season but got our revenge in the BET

2009 and 2013 seasons had some similarities in that were really REALLY good but had a rough stretch against an absolutely brutal schedule stretch to keep our record down slightly. Both teams also made the BET finals.

‘13 team caught a WAY better matchup in the sweet 16, and was a way better defensive team(partly why it was such a favorable matchup).

2009 and 2013 seasons had some similarities in that were really REALLY good but had a rough stretch against an absolutely brutal schedule stretch to keep our record down slightly. Both teams also made the BET finals.

‘13 team caught a WAY better matchup in the sweet 16, and was a way better defensive team(partly why it was such a favorable matchup).
The sweet 16 and elite 8 were an absolute clinic on why the zone was such a weapon. We had both Indiana and Marquette in hell. Overwhelming athletes flying all over the place. It was suffocating.

The sweet 16 and elite 8 were an absolute clinic on why the zone was such a weapon. We had both Indiana and Marquette in hell. Overwhelming athletes flying all over the place. It was suffocating.
MCW, Triche, Southerland, Fair, and Christmas with Cooney, Grant, and Keita off the bench….

Every single one of those guys could defend their butt off.

I was standing next to Southerland at the Baltimore Dinosaur BBQ a few years ago before the TBT. I didn’t really know what to say so I was like “hey do you remember that incredible game against Arkansas?” and he lit up and was like “I sure do!” and we talked about it for like 5 minutes.

remember when you were in the beatles?

MCW, Triche, Southerland, Fair, and Christmas with Cooney, Grant, and Keita off the bench….

Every single one of those guys could defend their butt off.
My freshman year. Kills me we didn’t get that final matchup with Louisville. Really felt like we could’ve won it all that year. Still get mad thinking of those calls down the stretch against Michigan.

My freshman year. Kills me we didn’t get that final matchup with Louisville. Really felt like we could’ve won it all that year. Still get mad thinking of those calls down the stretch against Michigan.
I flew to Charlotte to meet my brother and then drove down to Atlanta. Had tickets to the first game and was planning on finding some Michigan fan outside to buy their tickets to the title game, if we won.

That charge call was brutal but so typical.

I flew to Charlotte to meet my brother and then drove down to Atlanta. Had tickets to the first game and was planning on finding some Michigan fan outside to buy their tickets to the title game, if we won.

That charge call was brutal but so typical.
My nephew attended that FF. Before the game, he ran into Pearl and Walter Berry, and took a photo with the three of them (pre-selfies) to prove it to the family.

My nephew attended that FF. Before the game, he ran into Pearl and Walter Berry, and took a photo with the three of them (pre-selfies) to prove it to the family.
That’s prime Big East royalty.

Saw Pearl make his walk around the court to head to the locker room area mid game many times at the Dome in the early 00’s. Wish I could’ve met him at some point!

Our last Big East win.

Ugh, a decade? No way. I'm old. I was at that game, maybe 20 rows up at that end of the floor with a perfect view. I was class of '08 but I hated Georgetown more than UConn, unlike most of my classmates... As soon as the Big East Tournament bracket was set up I was desperate to get Georgetown and beat them... and CJ was my favorite player. So that dunk made me lose my freaking mind. I yelled so loud and so gutturally after that dunk that I got light headed and had to bend over so I didn't faint.

Afterwards I bought a "This Rivalry Is Officially Closed" t-shirt back on the hill somewhere with the score of the game and all that on it, and I still have it with the tags on it. Someday I'm going to shadow box it with the ticket stub and maybe get a print of the dunk to frame next to it.

I don't know how to find out if it is still true, but I recall seeing stats at the time that by multiple measures that 2013 team had the best defense ever to play through the first four games of the NCAA Tournament. That was absolute peak-Boeheim. Unfortunately, the ship was coasting to an abrupt stop after that. A house-afire start to the following season, then the mismatched uniforms causing a home loss to freaking BC as the #1 team and the wheels literally came off the program at that singular moment. Unbeleivable now to look back on it. It was like the program at an all-time high and then just a complete drop off the cliff. All because of those god awful mismatched blue shorts uniforms.

Louisville would've been so tough that year, especially playing them a 4th time. But we definitely would've had a shot. That Michigan loss still annoys me today especially since one of my friends is a Michigan guy

Louisville would've been so tough that year, especially playing them a 4th time. But we definitely would've had a shot. That Michigan loss still annoys me today especially since one of my friends is a Michigan guy
Far from a guarantee but we beat them at the Yum Center and were handling them in the BE title game before we ran out of gas.

1678554304246.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom