Exhibition Close Calls the past 20 years | Syracusefan.com

Exhibition Close Calls the past 20 years

Cusefan0307

Red recruits the ACC!
I know the guys didn't look great last night, but as someone who was fooled by Kaleb Joseph I am not someone who believes we should take much from exhibition games. I don't think the lineups we saw last night are the guys that will end up playing together the most and I have been fooled too much by exhibition games in the past to take too much of anything from the result. I do believe we are going to have to switch some things up mainly at the forward position, but we still have a long time to get things sorted out and we have a higher ceiling than we have had in recent seasons if things came come together. Anyway here's some interesting exhibition results over the past 20 years and how the seasons shaped out.

08-09 we beat Indiana University just 73-63 and finished 28-10 with a sweet 16 birth
09-10 Everyone knows about the Lemoyne debacle 79-82
05-06 we beat St Rose just 86-73. It wasn't a great season, but we won the BET and were able to capture a 5 seed
11-12 we beat St Rose 87-69. This might be our best team the last 20 years and it was a close game throughout, including tied at the half.

I'm not saying we are going to be good, but I'd be careful taking too much from what's happened so far. If we lose over the next couple weeks I'll be right there hammering JB, but I'm not sure it's worth hemming and hawing over exhibition results.

Last edited:
I know the guys didn't look great last night, but as someone who was fooled by Kaleb Joseph, I am not someone who believes we should take much from exhibition games. I don't think the lineups we saw last night are the guys that will end up playing together the most and I have been fooled too much by exhibition games in the past to take too much of anything from the result. I do believe we are going to have to switch some things up mainly at the forward position, but we still have a long time to get things sorted out and we have a higher ceiling than we have had in recent seasons if things came come together. Anyway here's some interesting exhibition results over the past 20 years and how the seasons shaped out.

08-09 we beat Indiana University just 73-63 and finished 28-10 with a sweet 16 birth
05-06 we beat St Rose just 86-73. It wasn't a great season, but we won the BET and were able to capture a 5 seed
11-12 we beat St Rose 87-69. This might be our best team the last 20 years and it was a close game throughout including tied at the half

I'm not saying we are going to be good, but I'd be careful taking too much from what's happened so far. If we lose over the next couple weeks I'll be right there hammering JB, but I'm not sure it's worth hemming and hawing over exhibition results.
Pollyanna BS ;)

I know the guys didn't look great last night, but as someone who was fooled by Kaleb Joseph I am not someone who believes we should take much from exhibition games. I don't think the lineups we saw last night are the guys that will end up playing together the most and I have been fooled too much by exhibition games in the past to take too much of anything from the result. I do believe we are going to have to switch some things up mainly at the forward position, but we still have a long time to get things sorted out and we have a higher ceiling than we have had in recent seasons if things came come together. Anyway here's some interesting exhibition results over the past 20 years and how the seasons shaped out.

11-12 we beat St Rose 87-69. This might be our best team the last 20 years and it was a close game throughout, including tied at the half.

if we lose over the next couple of weeks, I don't even know why anyone would be hammering JB.

These are the expected results as long as we keep JB as coach.

We are going to lose...alot...and hopefully win more. This is a bubble team at best and losing record at worst.

Harlem Globetrotters kicked our ass in 03-04, and we still made the Sweet 16.
I think that Globetrotter team would have beat anybody in the country. I remember feeling like Cedric Ceballos looked like he was playing against his kids.

I think that Globetrotter team would have beat anybody in the country. I remember feeling like Cedric Ceballos looked like he was playing against his kids.
Pretty sure that was the last year we played the semi professional teams. Before that it was team Nike or Marathon Oil every year to start the season.

Pretty sure that was the last year we played the semi professional teams. Before that it was team Nike or Marathon Oil every year to start the season.
We played a team that has Moten and Celuck on it if I remember correctly (thinking very early 2000s). They had Elite in the team name but that team was straight trash. Lol

We played a team that has Moten and Celuck on it if I remember correctly (thinking very early 2000s). They had Elite in the team name but that team was straight trash. Lol
Was it Nike Elite? I know Laz Sims played on the 03-04 Globetrotters.

Did we beat the Soviets?
We played them in Manley during Danforth's final season as HC, the year after we went to the Final Four.

They were a lot bigger and stronger and won pretty easily. Pretty sure a number of players on that team played in the 1972 Russia team that 'won' a gold medal...

We played them in Manley during Danforth's final season as HC, the year after we went to the Final Four.

They were a lot bigger and stronger and won pretty easily. Pretty sure a number of players on that team played in the 1972 Russia team that 'won' a gold medal...

I thought we played them in the late 80's with Owens and Co. I seem to remember Sportschannel showing it in the NY area.

I thought we played them in the late 80's with Owens and Co. I seem to remember Sportschannel showing it in the NY area.
We did. And beat them.

Here is an article on the Soviet tour of the US in 1975. It mentions the Syracuse game briefly.

Here is an article on the SU victory over the Soviets in 1990.

My memory is foggy as I was only 7/8 yrs old, but I am pretty sure we played them in '78 or '79 at Manley as well (I moved to Syracuse the summer of '76 so i couldn't have attended in Danforth's last year). This was my first SU game. I remember that we won and I was very happy we beat the evil Russians and their behemoth center Vladimir Tkachenko.

My memory is foggy as I was only 7/8 yrs old, but I am pretty sure we played them in '78 or '79 at Manley as well (I moved to Syracuse the summer of '76 so i couldn't have attended in Danforth's last year). This was my first SU game. I remember that we won and I was very happy we beat the evil Russians and their behemoth center Vladimir Tkachenko.
Good memory. Looks like we beat them 81-80 at the start of the 1979-80 season.

syracuse_1980_schedule_1 (1).jpg

Berth.

I'm not concerned, or even care, about the box score. Don't care about the score, don't care about the numbers, I'm concerned with the glaring holes in this roster. I don't need to see a box score or final score to know that this team has major issues in a number of key areas. What I saw was bad, real bad. Of course we will see issues with so many players trying to get used to each other. I get that. But the poor shoting, poor passing, lack of hustle, going 9 minutes without a bucket are all from bad basketball not "new guys getting used to each other"

I'm not concerned, or even care, about the box score. Don't care about the score, don't care about the numbers, I'm concerned with the glaring holes in this roster. I don't need to see a box score or final score to know that this team has major issues in a number of key areas. What I saw was bad, real bad. Of course we will see issues with so many players trying to get used to each other. I get that. But the poor shoting, poor passing, lack of hustle, going 9 minutes without a bucket are all from bad basketball not "new guys getting used to each other"

This was my sentiment too. If we played great basketball it wouldn't have been close but even if it was the product on the court we saw would be promising. That second half was abysmal on many levels.

I think you know my POV on the program in general and I totally get what you all are saying...but my honest response is...

What did you expect?

Its a team of:
- Freshman. None are program changers and all will need time
- A soph who didn't play and by all accounts you could suggest was a bust last year based on his rankings
- A 3 year starter who played for 2 non tourney teams and is now playing at a diff position
- Jesse

We're not going to be good out of the gate...and maybe not at all. We just need to see improvement every game. If we don't see improvement, then...yeah, will be a long year

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom