Expectations for this year? | Syracusefan.com

Expectations for this year?

DonLightfoot

All Conference
It is now October and exhibition games start later this month. Is it too early to discuss this? Without seeing a few serious games under their belt it is hard to judge and I personally do not think what we saw in Italy can provide enough input (based on the competition) other than giving some personal individual talent assessments. How will all these kids work as a team?

Don't think I have seen any sports prognosticators giving us much credit and in all honesty, based on our lack of experience, they could be warranted in doing so. Seems we are picked to be in the lower half of the ACC and a slight chance to make the NCAA's. Nothing new for us I guess.

- There seems little doubt we have a few excellent shooters, if we can find ways to get them good looks.
- Center position is going to be a key and Sidibe's health and offensive performance will be crucial.
- I hope Guerrier will show his prowess in the rebounding department.
- It really will all come down to Point Guard play as always.

I see us likely somewhere between 6th and 10th in the ACC standings. I also think we will be a Tournament team, albeit a fairly low seed again.

Would be nice to get more than one win in the ACC Tourney which I think would be a first. I feel the team will be fun to watch and operate more uptempo which, if nothing else, should make for exciting viewing.

Expectation is a return to the tourney and an encouraging ACC tournament performance.

Would not be surprised if this young group struggles a bit out of conference and earlier in the season then finds their stride late january/early Feb. A lot of very exciting talent, but very young and inexperienced.

Offensive will be solid.

Rebounding may suffer on both ends.

Defense may struggle early as there are a lot of new faces in this zone.

This team's success will be a function of how our Center spot does. If Sid is healthy and either JBA or Edwards can provide some solid rebounding and scoring to open up the floor for our shooters, we should be ok.

Just win more than games than we lose and play an entertaining brand of basketball.

Nobody should expect more than that. The team is young. I would rather go 17-14 and develop the players and watch good basketball than whiteknuckle games go 19-12 and lose in the first round of the NCAAT.

If a couple of things break in our favor [i.e., Sidibe stays healthy, Guerrier plays like he flashed this summer, one of the PGs emerges], then we could be pretty good. Maybe even top 25 good.

But we need those things to align for that to happen. At least we have depth and options, which hasn't been the case over the past couple of seasons.

Expectations are to be a likely bubble team at best. Don't think we can compete with the big boys. Need to win the games we should (mostly over-matched non-conference games) and split the 50-50 games. Hopefully can get an upset or two along the way.

Boeheim often does his best work when his team is under the radar.

I think we're under the radar. I expect a fun year. I always enjoy when we're breaking in new talent. That'll happen a lot this season because we've got nobody else to play.

Just win more than games than we lose and play an entertaining brand of basketball.

Nobody should expect more than that. The team is young. I would rather go 17-14 and develop the players and watch good basketball than whiteknuckle games go 19-12 and lose in the first round of the NCAAT.
what is wrong with you? You always pick the tournament over anything.

what is wrong with you? You always pick the tournament over anything.
I want to win it all. Not just make the tournament. If it takes 2 years to win it all I am okay with this year being a develop talent to take more steps forward the following year.
We have seen enough white knuckle games in the 50s lucky to get to 60s defensive first basketball.

I have absolutely no freaking idea. I could see us being .500 or under in conference and not making the tournament, and I could also see this being one of those Boeheim teams that comes out of absolute nowhere to be very good. I'll say this, it's a breath of fresh air to have lots of new faces throughout the roster.

I'm usually a glass half full guy, but I don't see this team doing well. I hope they surprise!

If we had an established ball handler, I'd be more bullish.

I don't know what to expect... My hope is this team breaks the 80ppg barrier more often than not and averages in the mid to high 70s. Last year we checked in at 69 pig which was ranked two hundred something.

Our offense has been nothing short of brutal the last several years.

Natty. I mean...Billy...I mean...whatever.

Boeheim often does his best work when his team is under the radar.

I think we're under the radar. I expect a fun year. I always enjoy when we're breaking in new talent. That'll happen a lot this season because we've got nobody else to play.

I've been saying all these things for four or five years now.

Outside of the occasional December offensive explosion and Duke upset, none of it's really materialized.

I would kill for a 1992 or 1998 type of season that you describe. And I'd be thrilled if Sidibe finally got healthy and the freshmen played well and generally complemented each other's skills. But my expectation is offensive ineptitude.

I think in terms of wins and losses it will be a long year but my hope is that in terms of style of play it will be fun. Also hoping that more uptempo, free flowing, bombs away style gets us some wins we probably would not have gotten with our slower pace.

I've been saying all these things for four or five years now.

Outside of the occasional December offensive explosion and Duke upset, none of it's really materialized.

I would kill for a 1992 or 1998 type of season that you describe. And I'd be thrilled if Sidibe finally got healthy and the freshmen played well and generally complemented each other's skills. But my expectation is offensive ineptitude.
Well, I didn't actually say anything about how the offense would be.

I think we will be a surprisingly good team. We have the potential to be one of those teams that can when any game when the offense is clicking. With our ability to hit threes, single digit leads become double figure leads in moments and comebacks can strike quickly. Shooters will provide lots of space for Quincy to operate and for the big's to find easy buckets. Depth, ability to move the ball and ability to quicken the pace should be strengths. I also think this team will be a more cohesive unit which gives optimal effort 9much different from last year).

My biggest worries are getting hurt on the boards and the ability to keep opposing guards out of the lane. I think Buddy is going to play tons, and he should, but he will be a point of attack for opposing guards. If he can make some improvement on slides (which he should) then our defense should be pretty good again.

I predict somewhere between 4th-6th in the ACC, a seed of between 5 and 7 in the NCAA's, 25+ wins and a Sweet Sixteen. It will be a fun team to watch and grow!

Cuse!

i have moderately high expectations. i recognize that this is a young team (8 sophomores & freshman, no seniors) but also a lot more talented team than many think. probably better late than early

Ive learned that whenever my expectations are high we crater, and when my expectations are low, we surprise.

The good news is i am not super jacked over this team...but it has potential. My thoughts are mid-ACC but, and this is important, a team that will improve over the course of the year. I think this will be a tourney year. I'm thinking ~7 seed.

Just me... pretty much more of the same. The unknown is how the 20 game ACC schedule affects the overall record. I'd say 16-20 wins regular season

Addition by Subtraction

Howard had a very bad year, he did not shoot well or run the offense well, he struggled against pressure and didn't get downhill off of the pick and role. (injury may have played a part in this)

Brissett didn't shoot well nor did he finish around the rim well.

Chukwu didn't finish around the rim, rebound or shot block well. (on average)

Battle needed more help and better shooting around him. His strong suit is as a one one one player and needs shooters to provide the spacing he needs to operate.

If Carey does not over dribble (which leads to turnovers) we will be a better offensive team. His ability to get into the lane and make good decisions (shoot pass decisions) will dictate if will are marginally better or significantly better.

Guerrier should be a more efficient scorer then Brissett was and has a far better post up game (because he has a post up game)

The three headed monster at center can only be better than last year because the bar is just that low. At worst Dolezaj is a stronger version of himself.

I’d like to say this team could overachieve, but I tend think they’ll struggle early because of PG play and rebounding. I’m guessing 18-19 wins and a spot on the bubble.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom