Should SU go after a transfer guard?

• Yes

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

EastCoast2

Board Mathematician
Who get the extra scholarship voided by Noel?

Seniors: Triche, Southerland, (Mookie???)
Juniors: Fair, Keita
Sophomores: Christmas, MCW
Freshmen: Coleman, Grant, Cooney

By my tally we have 9 or 10 scholarship players, depending on mystery Mookie. Would it be worth grabbing a JUCO or transfer G, even just to be tough in practice? Last season we had 5 legit guards practicing, competing every day and you could tell in games. When they scrimmage in practice, what if Mookie doesn't return? You're telling me every day in practice it will be MCW and BT vs. Cooney and a walk-on?

Reese is also graduating, forgot about that. There's another extra scholly

Losing Scoop, KJo, Fab, Waiters, and Reese. Getting 2 freshmen. Seems to be 3 schollies up for grabs, can anyone confirm?

I say find a 3-4 star player who is a quality student who will be fine with sitting the first couple years. Someone like Andy Routins

Now that I think about it, the top junior/senior walk-on was happy about the Noel news last night. He just got a $50,000 scholarship

Or would it be a smart APR move to give scholarships to 3 walk-ons and let them get 4/4 APR scores on the year
I agree. Besides, who are we going to find right how that has value?

I agree. Besides, who are we going to find right how that has value?
I'm just concerned if Mookie doesn't come back, the quality of competeition in practice for the guards. Scrimmages will always have at least one walk-on. I'd rather have an athletic guard pressuring Cooney/MCW with the ball in practice. Some of those walk-ons look like they've never played basketball before.

I'm just concerned if Mookie doesn't come back, the quality of competeition in practice for the guards. Scrimmages will always have at least one walk-on. I'd rather have an athletic guard pressuring Cooney/MCW with the ball in practice. Some of those walk-ons look like they've never played basketball before.
I would like to see Mookie finish his degree, for his sake and for APR; otherwise, he is a non-entity.

I would like to see Mookie finish his degree, for his sake and for APR; otherwise, he is a non-entity.
Let's hope so. He's going on 5 years. I know he has a child. Degree should be high on his priority list.

Does Mookie have any eligibility left?

A "transfer guard" would be a guy who would have to play immediately or he wouldn't used. It might be a better to have a four year type who could eventually emerge as part of the rotation. Maybe a local kid the fans would have a rooting interest in.

A "transfer guard" would be a guy who would have to play immediately or he wouldn't used. It might be a better to have a four year type who could eventually emerge as part of the rotation. Maybe a local kid the fans would have a rooting interest in.
1 year if I'm not mistaken.

2008-09 True Frosh year. Played in only 9 games before missing the rest of the season with a hip injury.
2009-10. RF year.
2010-11. Soph year.
2011-12. Junior year.

2012-13. Senior year.

Can programs game the APR system by giving scholarships to good student walkons? Are only scholarship kids included in the APR results? Have not thought of these questions until this thread.

give them to the walk-ons with the best academic records. Get the APR up.

Can programs game the APR system by giving scholarships to good student walkons? Are only scholarship kids included in the APR results? Have not thought of these questions until this thread.
give them to the walk-ons with the best academic records. Get the APR up.
Yes if I'm not mistaken I believe the key word is scholarship player, regardless if it's a recruit, walk-on, or transfer. Or is it anyone on the team? If 5 non-scholarship walk-ons flunk out, is there any affect to the APR?

This is really why UK will NEVER have an APR problem. The one and dones take basketweaving for 2 semesters, collect their 2.6 GPA, leave, and it's all gravy since they leave in good academic standing. Then they have 5 walkons on scholarship who will get 4/4 every year.

I'd normally be going against getting a guy this late, but with only 3 true guards, I think we have to prepare for injury. Recruiting a JUCO guy makes the most sense, as it will most likely mean a 2-year committment. I don't want to be stuck with a guy we don't like for 4 years.