Class of 2019 - F/C Nate Sestina / Grad Transfer from Bucknell to Kentucky | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 F/C Nate Sestina / Grad Transfer from Bucknell to Kentucky

they work for a program like kentucky whose culture is built upon self-interested one-and-done players
Moqui I respect the heck outta ya and usually love your posts but this is such a crap take. Reid has played 4 years at Stanford and now at Kentucky. His success at Kentucky isnt because of the one and done self-interested culture they have.

Moqui I respect the heck outta ya and usually love your posts but this is such a crap take. Reid has played 4 years at Stanford and now at Kentucky. His success at Kentucky isnt because of the one and done self-interested culture they have.
it is not about his success, it is about kentucky having a culture that allows it to flourish

syracuse does not have that kind of culture, made manifest in their failed dips into the pool

it is not about his success, it is about kentucky having a culture that allows it to flourish

syracuse does not have that kind of culture, made manifest in their failed dips into the pool

Still no. His success is because he was one of the best available players at his position that Kentucky went out and grabbed. Hes good. If we went after the best available players and talent at positions of need they would be successful here just like they are at schools like Kentucky. Andrew white was pretty successful here lol. This ain't it

Still no. His success is because he was one of the best available players at his position that Kentucky went out and grabbed. Hes good. If we went after the best available players and talent at positions of need they would be successful here just like they are at schools like Kentucky. Andrew white was pretty successful here lol. This ain't itxss
white was a success on his own terms but the team he headlined sucked in large part because he was disinterested in buying into the system and playing its defensive scheme

as for the larger topic:
if i think something regarding syracuse basketball is apparent and easy
but boeheim doesn't do it
then i question my assumptions

PC provides P5 level defense. We are losing him. Replacing him with a Patriot level mid major midget center seems like it would be a mistake.

This guy looks like he would get abused in the ACC. I would rather have PC than him.

If he looks like he would get abused in the ACC, why would Kentucky want him on their roster?

failed dips? They have had three players. White and Gillon we wouldn't have had a winning season without them. Thorpe was a disaster. So what? If we could land Smits, and we are trying to, I don't think I could be much happier if that happened. I don't think it will.

failed dips? They have had three players. White and Gillon we wouldn't have had a winning season without them. Thorpe was a disaster. So what? If we could land Smits, and we are trying to, I don't think I could be much happier if that happened. I don't think it will.
Oh snap! U saying we have interest in smits dasher? That makes me happy regardless of the outcome.

Isnt Smits going into the draft?

we didn't have a successful season. one of our worst ever, imho.

and, as i noted, if jb does in fact take another grad transfer, then i will question my assumptions.

but even that won't change my opinion of thorle, white & gillon.

Thorpe I 100% get, and I agree we don't want to have to be relying on grad transfers(who are most likely coming to showcase themselves for the next level, and may not be concerned with buying in to team philosophy), but can you imagine that season without White and Gillon?

white was a success on his own terms but the team he headlined sucked in large part because he was disinterested in buying into the system and playing its defensive scheme

as for the larger topic:
if i think something regarding syracuse basketball is apparent and easy
but boeheim doesn't do it
then i question my assumptions
Our record was better for having the grad transfers than it would have been without them. It's not their fault the were not transformation players

Our record was better for having the grad transfers than it would have been without them. It's not their fault the were not transformation players
there is no question that a syracuse program eviscerated by sanctions needed these guys just to be able to field a team.

but the question now is, what does the experience of having had such players teach us about a program going forward without such shackles? are 9 months with a mercenary primarily interested in a short term platform to showcase himself for the next level worth the opportunity cost of a young skilled big who could be with the program for 2, 3, 4 years?

we'll see soon enough one way or another

there is no question that a syracuse program eviscerated by sanctions needed these guys just to be able to field a team.

but the question now is, what does the experience of having had such players teach us about a program going forward without such shackles? are 9 months with a mercenary primarily interested in a short term platform to showcase himself for the next level worth the opportunity cost of a young skilled big who could be with the program for 2, 3, 4 years?

Just my opinion: I think JBA is a better big man prospect than Edwards, both in terms of short-term and long-term (though neither is a good short-term fix IMO). I think finding a short-term solution is much more important than bringing in a guy like Edwards who I just don't see being a significant contributor.

If there was a better big man out there that we could get a commitment from, then I might be more inclined to side with you in this particular case, but outside of Tre Mitchell, who appears to be headed to UMass, it doesn't seem like we have any other options that fit that criteria.

I might be willing to suffer through a season of Sidibe/Ajak/Dolezaj at center if it means using the scholarship on Duruji as a transfer because I think he's super promising, but aside from Duruji or possibly a PG, I think a grad transfer big man is our best option.

Well what quality young big men are beating down the doors to come to SU?

Completely depends on the young big man you are going to compare Smits against. If you are saying JB has a top 25 big than great, if not I will take the proven talent presuming he is a fit and is not a problem. Especially next year where we don't have a centerpiece to build a team around.

Why would Kentucky be interested? Didn't the board experts say he wasn't any good?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom