Fab comparison | Syracusefan.com

Fab comparison

Timonen

All Conference
Surprised nobody has brought up the similarities, but Fab has struck me as a rich man's Sam Dalembert. Dalembert was a raw first round pick, but developed into a very serviceable center who will have a 10-15 year career. Fab is bigger and more athletic...and has some ability to face the basket.

He's also proven he'll put the work in where it matters (his fitness and basketball).

If I'm drafting anywhere after 8ish (post Zellers), I wouldn't hesitate to take him.

Fab weighs more, but Dalembert is more athletic IMO

A rich man's Dalembert? Probably just a poor man's SD at this point. Gadzurich is who he is...no question about it.

A rich man's Dalembert? Probably just a poor man's SD at this point. Gadzurich is who he is...no question about it.

dalembert averaged 8 and 6 at seton hall...all on put backs (as i recall) and without a ton of alternative options. he was gangly and awkward. fab runs the floor and has actual basketball moves. we'll see, but i think folks are underestimating him. not saying he'll be a star but i'm confident he'll be solid for a long time. there haven't been many great centers in the league for a while. he'll stack up fine.

I can see Gadzuric. I saw him play live a few times when I was at USC. Gadzuric had/has a bit more of a mean streak and more raw power but it's a good comparison, imo. They certainly both make some real clumsy plays despite being very athletic.

"He's also proven he'll put the work in where it matters (his fitness and basketball)."

i'd say he's proven the exact opposite this season .he was either unwilling or simply unable to put in the course work necessary to help his team reach their goals . let's just factor that in as well.
also when averaging out fab melo's numbers over the past 2 seasons they really are rather pedestrian.5 pts 4 boards. big whoop. makes otis hill look like wes unseld.

Yeah, Channing Frye was in the three point contest in 2010. I can't exactly see that in Fab's future.

"He's also proven he'll put the work in where it matters (his fitness and basketball)."

i'd say he's proven the exact opposite this season .he was either unwilling or simply unable to put in the course work necessary to help his team reach their goals . let's just factor that in as well.
also when averaging out fab melo's numbers over the past 2 seasons they really are rather pedestrian.

sucks for us, but you go to college to learn a skill and get a job. he did that. until he got suspended, we all heaped praise on him for how he worked in the offseason to reshape his body, took direction, had a better attitude, etc. he wasn't made to be a student but the system pretty much made him be one. we both benefitted from the relationship. not to the degree we all would have liked, but for as long as the arrangement worked for us we all loved it.

Fab's going to win the NBA 3 point shooting contest during All Star Weekend?

Sophomore @ Arizona Channing Frye not current NBA Channing Frye.

In his first four NBA seasons, Frye’s three-point shooting totals were: 3-of-9, 3-of-18, 3-of-10, and 11-of-33.

dalembert averaged 8 and 6 at seton hall...all on put backs (as i recall) and without a ton of alternative options. he was gangly and awkward. fab runs the floor and has actual basketball moves. we'll see, but i think folks are underestimating him. not saying he'll be a star but i'm confident he'll be solid for a long time. there haven't been many great centers in the league for a while. he'll stack up fine.
10-12 year NBA guy

And I imagine Fab's career three point totals will likely be:

0-2.

Could be. Depends where he lands and how a team wants to use him. Frye was 0-1 from 3 in his first 2 years at Zona and 6-23 after 4 years. I was more looking for simlar size, 12 pt / 6 rb type , 20 mpg mid first round pick.

Of course I know little about non SU players once they leave college so there's always that.

I get the feeling Fab's NBA career will be very much un-noteworthy.

You wont even give him a "poor man's Vlade Divac"?

Check this out, I think Fab probably likes to smoke too, although maybe something different: "Jerry West is one shrewd executive.

West was known to be targeting Divac with the 26th overall pick, but he was fearful that the talented big man wouldn't last that long on draft day. So, when West heard that Divac was seen smoking as he came off the airplane on the day before the draft, he told him to keep on puffing.

Divac listened, and the TV cameras showed him smoking in the green room waiting for his name to be called. West's master plan worked, and he fell right into the Lakers' lap at 26."

It would be kind of cool if Fab was smoking in the green room.

I have a feeling the type of smoking Fab would be doing isn't something they could show on TV.

It would be appropriate for the green room though

also when averaging out fab melo's numbers over the past 2 seasons they really are rather pedestrian.5 pts 4 boards. big whoop. makes otis hill look like wes unseld.

wow. wow. wow.

it is beyond crazy how 1 sided syracuse fans can form an opinion.

This kid has played basketball for 4 years. and been in the usa for 4 years. He made INCREDIBLE strides to go from a non-player to unquestionably our most important player in 12 months. that is amazing.

school work for a brazilian guy means NOTHING to the nba.

and then to use fab's 2 year career stats as a way to bash him? he played 4 min a game last year. of course the combined numbers will look awful. Is fab guaranteed to be a perennial all star in the nba? no... does he have somethings to work on? yes... but the guy has the potential to be a VERY GOOD pro, no matter how you feel about his cuse tenure.

I for 1, hope nothing but the best for him.