Face off vs No Face Off | Syracusefan.com

Face off vs No Face Off

JustSayin

Usually in the Classroom
In the "Notre Dame Game Day" thread there is some discussion as to whether the NCAA should change the face off rules such that there would be a face off to start the game and possibly at the start of each quarter/overtime periods. A possession arrow could work here. After a goal, a member of the defense would start the clear somewhere in the defensive half of the field ... maybe behind the goal, in the crease, retraining line or midfield line. This rule change makes it more akin to making the change of possession after a goal similar to basketball.

So you may remember that in 1979 the NCAA did eliminate face offs after each goal. It wasn't well implemented and in 1980, after lots of complaints from coaches, reinstated the face off ... and the face off rules have been tweaked every couple of years since. I do believe if the NCAA wants to speed up the game, eliminating the face off after each goal would certainly help.

Here is a link to a July 29, 2016 article that gives an interesting perspective and some reasons why lacrosse should eliminate the faceoff after goal:

If the face off discussion has already been covered in older threads, I'll take a 30 second technical.

They should tweak the faceoff so it doesn’t start on the ground. That’s not where the game is supposed to be played. Not suggesting the draw of the women’s game, but something off the ground that is more balanced.

They got rid of the faceoff after goals in the 70s and brought it back within a year or two. The defense got the ball at the restraining line. Some JHU fans back then would add after the "We want more" (they stole from Cornell) in their goal count-up "Faceoffs".

If ya witness the duke dame game you can see faceoffs arnt reason to lose games. As duke won the faceoff battle by more then decent amount and yet still lost. As stated faceoffs arnt as big when your defense is good. Faceoffs just determines who gets ball first really. It’s defense job to get stops and get your offense ball. Also psu hopkins game psu dominated the faceoffs specially early yet hopkins was up 5-0 after only winning bout 2 faceoffs at one point. Faceoffs matter when your defense isn’t as strong or as good as other teams offense to get a stop. So let’s cool it with get rid of faceoffs. Defense has to get stops. It doesn’t make game result more one way or not. Mostly falls on if your defense can get stops or not.

If ya witness the duke dame game you can see faceoffs arnt reason to lose games. As duke won the faceoff battle by more than decent amount and yet still lost. As stated faceoffs arnt as big when your defense is good. Faceoffs just determines who gets ball first really. It’s defense job to get stops and get your offense ball. Also psu hopkins game psu dominated the faceoffs specially early yet hopkins was up 5-0 after only winning bout 2 faceoffs at one point. Faceoffs matter when your defense isn’t as strong or as good as other teams offense to get a stop. So let’s cool it with get rid of faceoffs. Defense has to get stops. It doesn’t make game result more one way or not. Mostly falls on if your defense can get stops or not.
This misses the point. Whoever possesses the ball the most has the most opportunity to score —> win. A face off, which resembles no other part of the game, dictates who has the most possessions. Sure, teams can overcome that, but why should they have to?

Last edited:
It’s sports even life why should it be easy? So much more value when have to overcome hardship. Feel more deserved and yours.

I want to see a canon fire the ball to a random spot on the field.

And players riding motorcycles.
Screen-Shot-2018-06-13-at-7.01.46-PM-650x402.png

A few things the Refs need to consider:
  • The players facing off can not move until after the referee blows the whistle.
  • It is possible to get penalized for making noises during a face off to try and make your opponent jump.
  • In the face off you can not clamp on top of the opponents stick disallowing them to play the ball.
  • As a face off guy you can not intentionally put any part of your body on the opponent’s crosse.
  • Nor can they touch the ball with their hand or fingers.
  • You can not kick the opponents stick.
  • Also a player can not clamp the ball and just hold it there if he has no teammate to assist them for several seconds.
  • If the player who won the face off has the ball stuck in the backside of his stick, they have one step to get the ball popped out to yourself or a teammate or it’s a violation.
  • Not that it would be very smart but it is illegal for goalies to face off.
It just seems that the officials have a lot to consider when monitoring the face off. It explains a lot when they call a face off violation and as fans we wonder what just happened.

I'd like to see the faceoff rules simplified. Include rules that makes it more equitable when the odds of winning apply equally to both players ... maybe it does now, but just doesn't feel like it.

Cap the number of FOs one player can take in a game (3? 5? 7?).

Or make the winning FO middie stay on the field for the full possession (until the shot clock is reset).

Basically, get rid of the FOGO to keep the FO.

Specialization is killing the game by slowing down the pace of play.

I always said do count. I feel no player can take more then say 10-15 faceoffs in single game. That would make teams have to use other guys on their team more. Which can balanced it a bit. Not saying teams can’t just stack up on faceoffs guys anyway. That’s problem guys still gonna go to schools they want over others. But could also do like pll if u get violation 1: counts as one for that half but 2: also the one who got violation can not take the next faceoff. Why not try that. Or if wanna go extreme make no clamping allow and everyone has to rake or sweep it out. I think faceoffs are fine. Think really just need a solid defense and play better in all other areas to make up for lack of draws. Time and again specially this weekend saw many teams lose who dominated faveoffs. Why that happen cause team defense played better n for stops or turnovers. Or out played them in other areas like gbs and takeways. Poor faceoffs will seem worst when your defense or team isn’t that good so makes feel faceoffs are cause when really maby team defense or other areas are more of problem. Never should we get rid of faceoffs tho

Or make the winning FO middie stay on the field for the full possession (until the shot clock is reset).

I suggested to a friend of mine that the same person cannot take consecutive faceoffs unless its the start of a quarter or else it would be a procedural violation. Easier to track for the refs rather than having them make sure one player stays out for a shot clock.

It would force teams to use that second and or third FOGO.

I suggested to a friend of mine that the same person cannot take consecutive faceoffs unless its the start of a quarter or else it would be a procedural violation. Easier to track for the refs rather than having them make sure one player stays out for a shot clock.

It would force teams to use that second and or third FOGO.

Maybe we should rotate goalies too?

If a hot goalie makes a great save, he should have to sit out the next possession.

Maybe we should rotate goalies too?

If a hot goalie makes a great save, he should have to sit out the next possession.

Sure, but that would lead to a lot of stoppages in play unlike my suggestion.

Perhaps the PLL rule regarding face off violations is the best option. Let’s not punish someone playing well, you’re right - but if you violate, you can’t take the next face off.

Subconsciously I probably had the PLL on my mind when I thought of the idea.

Petey Lasalla says, "Fine by me!"

One thing I would maybe actually advocate for is going back to the pre 2021 face off rules. Maybe a closer look at the stats is required, but I believe they have done nothing to drastically influence parity at the face off x. The dominant guys still dominate when up against an inferior guy, and as TD Ierlan and other face off guys have said, there are less options to counter a hot fogo since there is only one technique allowed now. Sometimes the dominant seem to dominate even more than before, which is another thing Ierlan warned about.

Wing guys rarely have time to get involved when a dominant fogo is winning cleanly under the new rules, which is probably my main complaint. We complain about wing play but there have been tons of faceoffs where they have no shot at helping out whatsoever. I guess it has limited the amount of drawn out stalemates, but that still does happen occasionally and IMO was not a major deal to begin with. PLL still allows moto grip and nobody suffers from it. Why not just jump back to pre 2021 rules?

you could just insert a rule that you cant win more than X number in a row before the other team at least gets the ball.. That way FO matter but not to the point where one team gets the ball for 80% of a quarter.

When its going 60/40 the game flows . When a guy wins 4-5-6- in a row the other team seems lost.

It’s the only sport I know that the guy who plays the least can all but take over or control a game. With pitchers and goaltenders, at least they don’t do one thing then run off the field while the rest of the team plays.
Get it out of the net and get going. Would really speed up the game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom