Factoid I just stumbled across relating to our championship game | Syracusefan.com

Factoid I just stumbled across relating to our championship game

mark79

All Conference
I somehow never realized how poorly Kansas shot from 3 and from the free throw line in our championship game.

They went 4-20 from 3 (.200) and 12-30 (.400!) from the line. Yikes!! I remember they had a bad shooting night but that was God-awful. They actually missed 18 free throws. Thank goodness for Hak who made sure they didn’t go 5-21!

* 5 for 20.

The shot was taken.

And Hak said NOPE.

DirtyClearcutGalapagospenguin-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
I somehow never realized how poorly Kansas shot from 3 and from the free throw line in our championship game.

They went 4-20 from 3 (.200) and 12-30 (.400!) from the line. Yikes!! I remember they had a bad shooting night but that was God-awful. They actually missed 18 free throws. Thank goodness for Hak who made sure they didn’t go 5-21!

Our FT shooting defense was impeccable.

We did a good job on Heinrich.

It’s been talked about on here but Kansas got a ton of offensive rebounds and hoops, including some on missed FT’s, so the FT shooting didn’t cost them as badly as it might seem.

I remember we did a great job getting back on defense because they were really good at pushing the tempo. One of the advantages of the zone in that one - just sprint to your spot, as opposed to trying to find your man.

It’s been talked about on here but Kansas got a ton of offensive rebounds and hoops, including some on missed FT’s, so the FT shooting didn’t cost them as badly as it might seem.

I remember we did a great job getting back on defense because they were really good at pushing the tempo. One of the advantages of the zone in that one - just sprint to your spot, as opposed to trying to find your man.

I’m not sure on the exact number but someone had once said they got like 12 points off missed FTs.

The lie effective FT rate when counting points scored on the offensive rebounds from the missed FTs was like 80%, so no boo boos for them. The missed threes was defense.

I think it was 10, but I know the Kansas fans all played the what if game forever saying if they hit their fts.. well their offensive rebounding made up for it plenty.

Not to mention Syracuse shot poorly from the FT line as well. Sure, they had significantly less attempts (so also less misses), but Cuse left a few points on the board as well.

I wonder if losing three times to a running UConn team had anything to do with that. I'll take that trade.

Glad Simien also was not available for that game.

I’ve seen Kansas fans use this excuse as a reason for not winning it all. But in reality, I don’t think Simien’s absence meant much in regards to that game.

Graves, the forward who replaced him torched SU anyways. I actually just looked up his box score out of curiosity and he went for 16 and 16.

Also, Simien got hurt pretty early in the year. Around the New Year I believe. Kansas had plenty of time to adjust and play without him. They were a top 5 team with no Simien in the lineup. If he was healthy Kansas is marginally better, but not much so.

I’ve seen Kansas fans use this excuse as a reason for not winning it all. But in reality, I don’t think Simien’s absence meant much in regards to that game.

Graves, the forward who replaced him torched SU anyways. I actually just looked up his box score out of curiosity and he went for 16 and 16.

Also, Simien got hurt pretty early in the year. Around the New Year I believe. Kansas had plenty of time to adjust and play without him. They were a top 5 team with no Simien in the lineup. If he was healthy Kansas is marginally better, but not much so.

Also, Melo's back was messed up and GMac got hurt during the game (his hand I believe). We weren't exactly playing 100% either.

No excuses from me. But them not having a future AA was nice.

Two questions from that FF:

-Was Hak legally allowed to be the first to touch the ball when he dunked on Royal Ivey? He came in from out of bounds...

-In 2023 does Heinrich get a call on a foul on his shot?

Looks like Hak only had one one foot established before he touched that ball. Could have been turned over. It doesn’t appear Hak went out of bounds on his own, so he could be the first person to grab the ball if he established both feet first.

Looks like Hak only had one one foot established before he touched that ball. Could have been turned over. It doesn’t appear Hak went out of bounds on his own, so he could be the first person to grab the ball if he established both feet first.
Does it matter that the Kansas player touched the ball first? Do you need to re-establish two feet in bounds if it is played to you by an opponent?

No excuses from me. But them not having a future AA was nice.

Correct, you mentioning it as a Cuse fan is different than a salty Kansas fan who is simply making excuses. I was just noting my opinion that Simien’s overall impact on the outcome of the game would’ve been marginal.

Correct. Gerry ran into the scores table late in the first half.
Is that why he ran away from the ball when Kansas was in foul mode.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom