Fall Foliage - adirondacks | Syracusefan.com

Fall Foliage - adirondacks

Marty McFly

Resident Lurker
Anyone been up to the Lake Placid, Saranac Region, or Long Lake area in the last few days? Wondering if it's peak yet and worth a drive up to see the leaves. Hard to trust the I love NY reports (i've gotten burned multiple times by their over the top hyperbole of quality & % leaf change), and the webcams are truly awful quality to discern anything about how vibrant the trees are. Any help would be appreciated thx!

Anyone been up to the Lake Placid, Saranac Region, or Long Lake area in the last few days? Wondering if it's peak yet and worth a drive up to see the leaves. Hard to trust the I love NY reports (i've gotten burned multiple times by their over the top hyperbole of quality & % leaf change), and the webcams are truly awful quality to discern anything about how vibrant the trees are. Any help would be appreciated thx!

We weren’t that far north but we were in lake george this weekend and I wouldn’t say it was peak leaf turning season yet.

Placids still about 10 days out from Peak imo from what i could see

Good to know. Was worried today as I haven't been able to make it up to the 'racks this fall yet, and was hoping I wasn't too late. Would you guys say that this coming weekend is prime or should I go up asap.

I was in Lake Placid Sunday/Monday, parts were pretty amazing on the drive in, but definitely not peak on Mirror Lake, or that immediate area in Lake Placid. I would imagine this weekend and moving forward just a bit would be the best.

You're definitely not late.

And don't feed the ducks - it screws up their migratory patterns!

If you're ever looking for a great fall road trip, a few years back my wife and I did Montreal to Quebec City to Portland, ME in early October. It was incredible.

If you're ever looking for a great fall road trip, a few years back my wife and I did Montreal to Quebec City to Portland, ME in early October. It was incredible.
Whoa

Drove to Mass on Fri and the foliage was definitely in or at peak season, lots of impressive stretches on the way down and back. For a local drive take the back roads from Lafayette to Skaneateles going through Onondaga hill good views and a few places to stop along the way for fall items.

I always encourage people to take that trip - and people rarely listen. If you're too cheap to go to Europe, QC is the closest you're going to find in North America. I think I said this in another thread, but place is like walking around inside a snowglobe in the Winter. It's fairly small, but not ridiculously so, and just nice. Way too nice.

And Montreal is just cool af.

I always encourage people to take that trip - and people rarely listen. If you're too cheap to go to Europe, QC is the closest you're going to find in North America. I think I said this in another thread, but place is like walking around inside a snowglobe in the Winter. It's fairly small, but not ridiculously so, and just nice. Way too nice.

Couldn’t agree more. It’s the most charming place I’ve ever been in North America.

F Quebec

Three other really beautiful fall drives I've done are the Shenandoah Valley, the Massachusetts Turnpike and the upper peninsula in Michigan.

My wife and I did the Montreal-Portland portion of this over Columbus Day in '09 and incredible might not be the first word I'd choose.

'Desolate' seems to be a better fit. No food or gas for many miles, and customs, which seemed like a reliable place to get those things, turned out to be essentially a parking-attendant-hut staffed by a single person.

It was pretty, though.

Climbed 2 high peaks today. The colors are pretty subdued this year, in my opinion not worth a 4 hour drive.

Just heard the same a couple days ago and was surprised. Figured it would be incredible right about now.

May not be worth it if the colors are important, but with this weather I’d love to be up there this weekend. Best time of year to do high peaks IMO! You get a 60 degree October day in the middle of the week, and that’s about as good as it gets in those mountains!

Just heard the same a couple days ago and was surprised. Figured it would be incredible right about now.

May not be worth it if the colors are important, but with this weather I’d love to be up there this weekend. Best time of year to do high peaks IMO! You get a 60 degree October day in the middle of the week, and that’s about as good as it gets in those mountains!
Agree. Great hiking weather although it was 29 degrees when I left my car at 8am. Even with all of the heavy usage the last few years the air is still as pure as ever. Some of the trails are beaten down but 4 feet off of any trail it becomes pristine wilderness. Just a remarkable jewel of a recreational resource. I highly recommend Avalanche lake if any of you care to check it out. 5 miles out and 5 back from the Adirondack Lodge but worth the hike. We'll be having a family picnic there next summer. And you can bring your dog.
I've never seen a picture that does justice to the actual experience of being there.
Unboring_Exploring_ADK_backpacking_04_grande.jpg
Image result for avalanche lake ny

Last edited:
Agree. Great hiking weather although it was 29 degrees when I left my car at 8am. Even with all of the heavy usage the last few years the air is still as pure as ever. Some of the trails are beaten down but 4 feet off of any trail it becomes pristine wilderness. Just a remarkable jewel of a recreational resource. I highly recommend Avalanche lake if any of you care to check it out. 5 miles out and 5 back from the Adirondack Lodge but worth the hike. We'll be having a family picnic there next summer. And you can bring your dog.
I've never seen a picture that does justice to the actual experience of being there.
Unboring_Exploring_ADK_backpacking_04_grande.jpg
Image result for avalanche lake ny

Wow! I’ve climbed 27 high peaks, and will eventually do them all as long as my health holds up(in no hurry and gradually chipping away at and enjoying doing them with people that I really like at times of the year where they will be enjoyable - not into the “bagging peaks” trend), but do not believe I have seen that lake yet, though it sounds familiar. Those are phenomenal photos.

As much as I like the mountains, the bodies of water are easily my favorite thing about the Adirondacks. I will definitely check that one out within the next year.

My son and I are doing Macomb, South Dix and Grace on Tuesday. Being 69 years old, I feel like there is no time to lose if I want to complete all 46, so yes, I'm bagging them as quickly as I can.

My son and I are doing Macomb, South Dix and Grace on Tuesday. Being 69 years old, I feel like there is no time to lose if I want to complete all 46, so yes, I'm bagging them as quickly as I can.

Enjoy! I recall some great views on the Dix Range.

Also remember a very long descent that seemed to go on forever, but we did the whole range.

Once I retire in a couple years it's on my bucket list to become a 46er within a year or two. Can't wait.

A friend of mine recently did a 10 day fall road trip to these spots with his wife and two little ones: Salem, MA > Portland, ME > Bar Harbor, ME > Saint John, NB > Quebec City, QC > Montreal, QC.

I find a trip like this so much more enjoyable than sweating to death in Florida.

Took a quick prop plane ride today checking out the fall foliage over our rolling hills here in the FLX...

Beautiful but damn did it make me nauseated. Basically, an 8 min plane ride, destroyed my day. Plane head is no joke.

Late to this party, but wanted to throw in my two cents anyway. Last year (2018), we went to Placid the last weekend of September for a family gathering. Literally the best fall foliage display I have seen in my 50 years wandering this planet, and I live in Vermont. This year seemed a bit dull in my mind, but I've never seen anything like last year. The wife agreed, and we took separate vehicles to get there.

Late to this party, but wanted to throw in my two cents anyway. Last year (2018), we went to Placid the last weekend of September for a family gathering. Literally the best fall foliage display I have seen in my 50 years wandering this planet, and I live in Vermont. This year seemed a bit dull in my mind, but I've never seen anything like last year. The wife agreed, and we took separate vehicles to get there.
Locals say too much rain in the spring caused the less than vibrant display this year