FANFEST CANCELLED | Syracusefan.com

FANFEST CANCELLED

DPCuse

Starter
Just received an email that tomorrow's fanfest is canceled due to forecasted stormy weather.

Here's the email:

The 2016 Preferred Mutual ‘Cuse Fan Fest will not be held on Saturday, August 13 due to the impending storms being forecast for Syracuse this weekend. The outdoor event cannot be held due to concerns for the safety of the participants and fans. The annual event usually features outdoor activities for fans of all ages, including interactive activities with Syracuse student-athletes, a men’s soccer exhibition game, football intra-squad scrimmage, inflatable bouncy houses, selfie stations with Syracuse’s NCAA trophies, Ernie Davis’ 1961 Heisman Trophy and Syracuse legends, concessions stands and the Season Ticket Holder BBQ.

The Syracuse Athletics Yard sale will still be held in Manley Field House from 10 am to 2 pm. All fans are invited to the Yard Sale at Manley Field House, which will feature men’s and women’s apparel and equipment including brands such as Nike and STX. Shirts, sweatshirts, jackets, several sports jerseys, basketball warm-ups and shorts, running shoes, basketball shoes, turf shoes, sandals and lacrosse equipment will be available. Only cash and credit cards will be accepted (no checks). Items will not be sold to wholesalers or distributors and are not to be resold. Parking is free in the Manley North and South lots. Attendees should enter Manley Field House through the Simmons Coaches Wing entrance on Comstock Avenue.

We look forward to seeing you on September 2 at the Carrier Dome when Syracuse head coach Dino Babers and the Orange host Colgate. Kickoff is at 7:00 pm.

Thank you for your continued support of Syracuse Athletics!

Sincerely,

The Carrier Dome Box Office

... come on, now it won't be until Sept. 2nd

It's the right call but disappointing. This event was great last year and I was looking forward to it this year

Why not put it in the dome?

Wouldn't work logistically, plus I don't think SU wants a few thousand people walking all over the dome when there prepping for an opener in a few weeks.

Not surprised, the weather looked awful for Sat Afternoon. Hate to say it but SU made the right call.
30+ hours in advance? We aren't tracking some hurricane coming in off the coast. How many times have we braced for inclement weather only to get a 5 min downpour? I feel this call was really premature. Definitely could have waited until tomorrow morning IMO.

30+ hours in advance? We aren't tracking some hurricane coming in off the coast. How many times have we braced for inclement weather only to get a 5 min downpour? I feel this call was really premature. Definitely could have waited until tomorrow morning IMO.

You have SU fans coming in from all over the state for the event and some from out of state. If your going to cancel it you need to make the move to give people enough notice to alter plans. The weather forecast for most of Sat is abysmal including flash flood warnings. With nearly all of the event outside it made sense to cancel it now.

JeremyCuse said:
You have SU fans coming in from all over the state for the event and some from out of state. If your going to cancel it you need to make the move to give people enough notice to alter plans. The weather forecast for most of Sat is abysmal including flash flood warnings. With nearly all of the event outside it made sense to cancel it now.

Plus I'm sure a lot of the food prep for the tailgate was probably being done today.

Wish they'd open up a full practice or scrimmage for the reporters and select fans. In the past, we'd get two: fanfest and drum.

Plus I'm sure a lot of the food prep for the tailgate was probably being done today.

Absolutely, if you cancel tomorrow now SU is left holding a few grand (at least) worth of food that that will be a complete waste. I am sure people are disappointed but SU trying to look ahead and make a call instead of waiting for the last second like they do for everything else is a nice change of pace. Maybe they will open up a practice later in August or something to make up for it or something else.

We live in CNY, the weather forecast is right about 50% of the time, if that. I really don't think THAT many people outside a 60 mile radius are coming in for this. Those out of towners that are, can make the decision not to come on their own. The problem I have with this is the recent media sensationalism especially when it comes to weather forecasts lately. Polar Vortex...we used to call it a cold snap, everything has to sound like it's scene from that movie The Day After Tomorrow.

Absolutely, if you cancel tomorrow now SU is left holding a few grand (at least) worth of food that that will be a complete waste. I am sure people are disappointed but SU trying to look ahead and make a call instead of waiting for the last second like they do for everything else is a nice change of pace. Maybe they will open up a practice later in August or something to make up for it or something else.
We received 20+ million in TV revenues from the league last year, food can be donated to local shelters to help the needy and the loss is no greater than actually holding the event.

30+ hours in advance? We aren't tracking some hurricane coming in off the coast. How many times have we braced for inclement weather only to get a 5 min downpour? I feel this call was really premature.

Exactly. Unless we're talking a blizzard, when has this area preemptively cancelled events for summer-related weather? In the south and Midwest they sometimes do this but their risk is a bit more understandable with tornado outbreaks. I believe the main issue tomorrow is just the possibility of heavy rain.

We received 20+ million in TV revenues from the league last year, food can be donated to local shelters to help the needy and the loss is no greater than actually holding the event.

Your talking prepared food for what 3-5k people? What shelter has the capacity to take that in?

Does anyone know if they cancelled the soccer game? I'd be interested to know that.

We live in CNY, the weather forecast is right about 50% of the time, if that. I really don't think THAT many people outside a 60 mile radius are coming in for this. Those out of towners that are, can make the decision not to come on their own. The problem I have with this is the recent media sensationalism especially when it comes to weather forecasts lately. Polar Vortex...we used to call it a cold snap, everything has to sound like it's scene from that movie The Day After Tomorrow.

I think your making a good point about the weather in general but I don' t think it really applies to Fan Fest. You have an event that is really marketed toward kids where 95% of the event is outside. The weather is calling for thunderstorms and rain for most of the day. Its a pretty easy call for SU, I mean were talking about an event that is a glorified a scrimmage/practice with a bounce house and a catered bbq its not like they cancelled the season opener. SU doesn't want a thousand people scrambling at Manley when it opens up at 3:30 and people scattering all over causing god knows what issues.

Your talking prepared food for what 3-5k people? What shelter has the capacity to take that in?
I'll give you that, perhaps I wasn't considering the scale of the event in regards to our local homeless population, we aren't exactly NYC so yeah ok, still it's friggin Syracuse, I have watched weather forecasts call for a 0% chance of rain as it's pouring outside and I've seen them call for extreme conditions to have it be sunny with 10mph winds and it happens frequently. A lot can change with a weather pattern in 30+ hours. Forecast on channel 9 says showers and thunderstorms, heavy rain a good bet. A good bet? That's scientific right there.

I get what you're saying about the other stuff in regards to it being for kids and what not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom