Fat Camp...Huh? | Syracusefan.com

Fat Camp...Huh?

xc84

Living Legend
http://www.nunesmagician.com/syracuse-football/2013/5/8/4311816/scott-shafer-syracuse-football-acc

However, by the end of the engagement, it sounded as if Shafer tried to convince people to send their kids to a low-budget, poorly administered Fat Camp that has awesome camp counselors.

I don't get that at all from Shafer's comments. What I get is Shafer being able to identify the sleepers, diamonds in the rough...the kids who may have been overlooked for various reasons who can really be players. The other teams losses are our gains. Not sure why this sort of thing is turned into a negative by the author.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/syracuse-football/2013/5/8/4311816/scott-shafer-syracuse-football-acc

I don't get that at all from Shafer's comments. What I get is Shafer being able to identify the sleepers, diamonds in the rough...the kids who may have been overlooked for various reasons who can really be players. The other teams losses are our gains. Not sure why this sort of thing is turned into a negative by the author.

Maybe he's auditioning for a job at the Post Standard/Syracuse.com?

All things considered, I think HCSS needs to dial it back a hair. I love the blunt style, but it can be overdone.

Agreed. Nothing about fat camps in there. To me he is saying he wants kids who want to play football and work hard. Its like Rocky v. Drago in Rocky IV. Drago had the bells and whistles including the punch per square inch o meter while Rocky was lifting Paulie in an old wagon and chopping wood. Who won in the end? Capitalism, that's who albeit a Capitalism that looked a lot more like post Soviet Union Russia. Now, if you want to get into fat camps check out "Heavyweights". Awesome work by Ben Stiller as Uncle Tony.

he can say what he wants to a rotary club, hes right.

no need for anyone to and nunes to report it.

All things considered, I think HCSS needs to dial it back a hair. I love the blunt style, but it can be overdone.

Tend to agree. I really like Shafer's energy, passion, and no nonsense style when he's in front of the microphone. I think everyone does. But I don't know that it's a great strategy to fill the Dome by doing speaking events where you point out the reality of SU's challenges to the fanbase. Especially as we move to the ACC and keep hearing about all this money we're getting (that no one knows what we're using it for).

It's just not the kind of thing SU fans in the community typically want to hear, no matter how true it is. We're a school with a basketball program that is an "it" program, one of the Top 10 in the country (if not Top 6 or 7). Hopefully, SU fans are at least realistic enough to accept that SU football isn't that high, but they want to be perceived as Top 25 I would think. This paints us much worse.

Need to get people back in that Dome first and foremost. As we well know, just not the kind of town where everyone is going to go, just because they love the team so much.

I would like to see those quotes within the context of everything he had to say before passing judgement.

Where does he get fat camp from? I read it as kids who may not be as big as others.

Sent using my Commodore 64

Where does he get fat camp from? I read it as kids who may not be as big as others.
Yeah, this was definitely a head-scratcher. I read it twice, thinking I must have missed something.

SS said almost the identical thing around signing day. Even used some of the same words. He said we'll win some battles for great athletes but the program will be built on kids they evaluate early and then develop them into great players. Statement has always been true about SU and I don't think it should surprise anyone.

I say give the author a break. Nunes articles are typically written with a bit of humor. Sometimes the humor misses and maybe it was a little too negatively slanted.

To be honest, Shafer did have a few negative things to say about SU as well. We all get and appreciate his point, but sometimes its not the best idea to point out our shortcomings at events covered by the media.

All of this is overblown, but in the end, I love Shafer and can't wait to see the tenacity this team plays with when the season begins.

The guy is be real here and all I read were positive messages to all in attendance.Way too much idle time for some here