Favorite places to run/hike in CNY and surrounding areas

4evaOrange

Anna Kendricks boyfriend.
Didn’t know where else to put this, looking to get into running so looking for suggestions.

OrangeDW

Living Legend
Tons of hiking options in the Adirondacks.

Bald Mountain is a very popular one near Old Forge that can be done in like half an hour and has a fire tower at the top that can be climbed for better views.

Blue Mountain is a favorite of mine - takes a few hours, there’s also a fire tower at the top that you can climb and get even better views, and Blue Mountain Lake nearby.

For non Mountain options, I’m a fan of “Siss and Bubb” near Old Forge. Trails take you by two remote lakes in the middle of the woods.

Ozcuse

All American
Didn’t know where else to put this, looking to get into running so looking for suggestions.
Favorite nearby trails:

Beaver Lake 3mi trail
Great Bear Recreation Area 10k, 5k, lots of options
Onondaga Lake Park lots of options

I recommend an app for your phone called Alltrails. It's not only useful locally but you can use it to identify trails anywhere you travel.

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
I like Jones Hill. It's the Labrador Hollow area past Pompey
Yup. You can stop and see Tinker falls near the start and if it is a nice day, you might see some people hang gliding up top.

cusefan88

All Conference
Yup. You can stop and see Tinker falls near the start and if it is a nice day, you might see some people hang gliding up top.
A must when I visit

SUfanNC

Starter
Tons of hiking options in the Adirondacks.

Bald Mountain is a very popular one near Old Forge that can be done in like half an hour and has a fire tower at the top that can be climbed for better views.

Blue Mountain is a favorite of mine - takes a few hours, there’s also a fire tower at the top that you can climb and get even better views, and Blue Mountain Lake nearby.

For non Mountain options, I’m a fan of “Siss and Bubb” near Old Forge. Trails take you by two remote lakes in the middle of the woods.
Kinda preferred Rocky Mountain just down the road from a Bald and about same hike time. Great view. Honestly hike them both and get your own opinion. Super easy hikes.

OrangeDW

Living Legend
Kinda preferred Rocky Mountain just down the road from a Bald and about same hike time. Great view. Honestly hike them both and get your own opinion. Super easy hikes.
Yes, and there’s another one right there too. Black Bear or something? That one is a little tougher, but not bad and a nice hike.

SUfanNC

Starter
Yes, and there’s another one right there too. Black Bear or something? That one is a little tougher, but not bad and a nice hike.
A bit longer. A bit flat at first. Have to hike in to the mountain. Want to say it looks at sixth and seventh maybe. Did it one time

OrangeDW

Living Legend
A bit longer. A bit flat at first. Have to hike in to the mountain. Want to say it looks at sixth and seventh maybe. Did it one time
Same. Did it once. Was thinking it would be like Bald, so was caught by surprise that it was a little longer and had a little more to it.

dan7800

Starter
1) Hiking: 9 Corners near Pine Lake - is getting more crowded now though. Kane mountain is also a nice hike.
2) Walking/Running: Near the canal in Little Falls. Start around the Herkimer home/lock 17. Very peaceful.
3) Running: The nature trails near Griffis in Rome. Cool "relics" along the path as well.

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate
Ampersand Mountain - Saranac Lake Region of the High Peaks

sutomcat

Former Iggy Winner. I used to be somebody special
Highland Forest has some nice trails and scenic views.

Pratts Falls is pretty too, though the trails aren't very long.

I am pining for the county to finish the trail around Onondaga Lake. When they do, it is going to create a 12 mile or so long circuit that should be a blast to take on your bike (12 mile runs are not happening for me). Getting the trail extended all the way to the mall and beyond is exciting stuff for me. Look forward to checking out vistas I haven't seen before, ranging from a cool new view of downtown to some awesome views of bald eagles.

They can't finish the trail fast enough for me.

Fly Rodder

Regional Paradigm Agent
I run to Green Lakes once or twice a week. Go in through the back and run Round Lake and then back out. It's a little over a 4 mile loop for me.

Top Bottom