Favorite TV episodes: Route 66 “Follow the White Dove With the Broken Wing” | Syracusefan.com

Favorite TV episodes: Route 66 “Follow the White Dove With the Broken Wing”

SWC75

Bored Historian
ROUTE 66 2/21/64 “Follow the White Dove With the Broken Wing”

The last serious episode and therefore the last good one. The boys stop in a bar for a drink and observe a fight between a troubled youth, (Lee Kinsolving), and a rival for a girl he imagines to be his girlfriend. He runs off and a popular local beat cop follows him to a warehouse where the policeman is fatally injured in an accident. The kid has been hurt as well and, having taken the officer’s gun, he forces Tod and Linc to help him hide out and get him medical attention. While holding Linc hostage while Tod goes for some medical supplies, the kid tells Linc how he’s been misunderstood all his life and how no one has ever reached out to try to understand him. LInc isn’t sympathetic: he recognizes that the kid needs redirection more than sympathy.

Meanwhile the local neighborhood gang, who liked the cop, decides to take matters into their own hands and become a bigger threat than the police. They are led by a self-appointed avenger type who finds his power dissolving at the end when the gang finds out it was an accident and starts to see things from the young man’s point of view. This is the best aspect of the episode: an examination of the irrationality of the mob mentality and the weakness of the bonds it creates.

IMDB: "Route 66" Follow the White Dove with the Broken Wing (TV Episode 1964) - IMDb

You-Tube: (free episode)

This is the last of the really good episodes of Route 66. In my next post I will turn to another 60’s TV series about a hero who traveled the nation and all the people he meant, one that I’ve also posted reviews of each episode to the IMDB: The Fugitive

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom