Favorite TV Episodes: Route 66 “I Wouldn’t Start From Here” | Syracusefan.com

Favorite TV Episodes: Route 66 “I Wouldn’t Start From Here”

SWC75

Bored Historian
ROUTE 66 11/15/63 “I Wouldn’t Start From Here”

Zoom! We’re back in New England where the boys encounter an elderly farmer who, like the one in Minnesota, they will later, (or had earlier?) encountered in “”And Make Thunder His Tribute”, is trying to save a farm that’s been in his family for generations. They try to help him out but it’s no good: the local bank is calling in his note and he can’t pay it. Everything on the place has to be auctioned off.

There’s a long, sad sequence in which one, by one, the old man’s possessions are bought by his neighbors, including a portrait of his grandmother. Linc starts bidding on his team of horses, which drives Tod crazy until he finds out Linc is bidding on behalf of the old man, who wants to preserve something from his life. He’d like one last hurrah: using the horses to win a pulling completion at the country fair. They finish second. But instead of breaking the old man’s heart, it brings him back into touch with reality and he finally agrees to sell the horses, too. It’s not clear where he’s going next, probably to some kind of retirement home. The boys drive off with adventures still to be had in their life before they meet the same fate.

It’s not as sad and depressing as it sounds. There’s a lot of “Down East” humor and Rosemary Forsyth offers some attractive window dressing as a Manhattanite who has fled the city for the country only to find out that everybody has their problems. It’s a low key, gently paced, very human episode.

IMDB: "Route 66" I Wouldn't Start from Here (TV Episode 1963) - IMDb (Amazon prime has it for 99 cents

You-Tube: (for $1.99)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom