Favorite TV Episodes: Route 66: "Aren't You Surprised to See Me?" | Syracusefan.com

Favorite TV Episodes: Route 66: "Aren't You Surprised to See Me?"

SWC75

Bored Historian
ROUTE 66 2/16/62 “Aren’t You Surprised to See Me?”

And here is an example of the “dark” sort of episode that, however good, left less of an impression on my young mind than the lighter episodes, however good they were. And this one is very good and also very interesting for a reason other than its quality. The boys are in Dallas, working at the Dallas Trade Mart when Buz suddenly disappears. It turns out he’d been kidnapped at gunpoint by a nut (wonderfully) played by David Wayne who has decided that the world has gone crazy and that the cure is for people to follow the Ten Commandments. To encourage, (or force) them to do so, he travels around the country kidnapping people and threatening to kill them unless everybody in the city they are in starts obeying the commandments, (one of which is to not kill). When the world, (or at least the city) fails to do his bidding, he makes good on his threats, although he uses an unusual weapon- a toxic liquid that kills on contact. Tod and the police have to find the guy before he kills again.

What is interesting is that the Dallas Trade Mart is where President Kennedy was to make his speech on 11/22/63. It’s interesting to see it here, (probably two years earlier), in a story about sin and death. I also wonder if the police station shots were done in the actual station where Lee Harvey Oswald was taken after his capture and where he was murdered. The show often employs local non-actors in roles based on their profession and some of the officers seen may have been there when Oswald was there and played some role in the day’s events. The finale is at Love Field, where the president’s plane landed and later took off with his body.

IMDB: "Route 66" Aren't You Surprised to See Me? (TV Episode 1962) - IMDb Amazon prime has it for 99 cents

You Tube: ($1.99)

The opening sequence for free: ROUTE 66 TV S2 E19 "Aren't You Surprised To See Me?" [opening scene]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom