Favourite and/or best Canuck to play for SU | Syracusefan.com

Favourite and/or best Canuck to play for SU

DonLightfoot

All Conference
Just wondering what everybody thinks about my fellow Countrymen. There may be others that I can’t think of right off hand, but here are five that come to mind.

- Kris Joseph
- Leo Rautins
- Andy Rautins
- Tyler Ennis
- Oshae Brissett

Up to this point in time it is my opinion that Leo had the greatest impact, with son Andy a close second. Tyler could have been the one had he stuck around a couple more years. My man Leo was the reason I started following Orange hoops back in the early 80’s. There has been some debate as to which Rautins was in fact the best shooter. For example, during the six O/T game in ’09 versus Uconn the announcers seemed to be giving the “shooting” nod to Andy.

Now, having said all this, I believe if we have a really successful season this year and Oshae gets his game to where we all think it could be then he may take over the top spot.

What do you think?

andy was such a great all around player - shooter, facilitator, defender. i think he was the key to what i consider to be the best syracuse team to ever take the court.

i really like oshae & think he has a very good chance to play himself into a lottery player this year, but it is going to be hard to top andy.

edit: now that i think about it - wasn't andy born & raised in syracuse?

Last edited:
Leo clearly would be #1 IMO.

Toss up between Kris and Andy next.

Oshae has the opportunity to move up this list, depending on what he's able to accomplish this year. That's a really strong quartet of players at the top of this list.

I love Ennis, too, and only rank him last based upon his short stint. That's a pretty damn good group of players -- no true center, but they'd make a helluva starting five.

Kris Joseph accomplished the most. Never saw Leo play, so i couldnt compare the two as players. My favorite is Oshae.

That's a pretty damn good group of players -- no true center, but they'd make a helluva starting five.
wasn't george papadakos canadian?
edit: just checked. yes, he was. there's your center.

Leo

Best hair and the guy who started it all

Great group overall, and hope there are many more that follow
idk; oshae has pretty great hair

Leo was before my time. I’ve watched a few games on YouTube and ESPN classic. That’s an era I’d like to see more games from. Seems they were fun to watch, and Leo could do it all.

Of the other 4, I think Andy Rautins had the best season, but Joseph might’ve had the best career of them. One of the best players on two of our best teams ever in 2010 and 2012.

Ennis had a great season but was only here for 1, and Brissett - too early to properly rate him since he’s still here, in my opinion.

Kris Joseph eh.

Well he does have the most career points (by more than 400) and rebounds (by more than 100) of the Canadian players. Not determinative of the question, but certainly has to put him firmly in the discussion.

Well he does have the most career points (by more than 400) and rebounds (by more than 100) of the Canadian players. Not determinative of the question, but certainly has to put him firmly in the discussion.
No. No it doesn't. Leo's game was never determined by points. Or rebounds for that matter. Leo was one of those players that could dominate a game without taking a shot. His passing was extraordinary. The only better passers in that era of NCAA basketball may have been Bird and Magic.

Now that I think about it - wasn't Andy born & raised in Syracuse?

That could very well be true. He might have dual citizenship as he played for our National team and I believe he suffered his serious injury while playing for Team Canada.

Leo is easily the best. He did everything well and was usually the smartest player on the court. He was a warrior as well. 14 knee surgeries before he retired (14!!!).

Oshae could turn out to be my favorite. I hope he does.

Never saw Leo play.
Ennis left too early.
Andy and KJo — i can't choose between them.
Which leaves Oshae, who i choose because he's the most recent, freshest in my memory, and may have the best NBA career.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom