Feeling Excited About This Team vs NCST & Virginia | Syracusefan.com

Feeling Excited About This Team vs NCST & Virginia

Ceerqqq

Scout Team
The way this year's team played defense vs Clemson and N. Carolina has gotten me excited about the next couple, few days. What we saw last week was a completely different team from the one we were watching only a few weeks ago.

The zone has been transformed. It almost seems as though the guys needed to depend on their press a couple of games to get a kinetic 'feel' for how they need to play the zone in order for it to become their single best Team Weapon vs their toughest opponents.

As we saw them work their press several games ago, you could see that they (especially Buddy Boeheim?) were getting a 'feel' for how they would ultimately need to play their zone in order for it to become a big weapon. Needed: an intense, determined effort to force steals like they do when they're working the press only in the half court and in their zone configuration.

It's eagerly looking forward to that next opportunity to get your hands on the ball. If their zone isn't making the other team feel pressured (as with a press), then they're not playing it right. With lots of repetitions, they're able to anticipate which of the passing lanes the other team is going to try to use to get open shots. Ask Robert Braswell.

It's because I expect that they'll only be better at it this week that I'm very hopeful of them winning their next 2 games and then getting their NCAAT invite.

Could that expectation be wrong? Of course. Another injury to a key player could kill it all. But I sure do like what I've been seeing. If they start out vs NCST with that kind of defensive effort, I'll be smiling right away...

Last edited:
This (or these...I hope) will unfortunately be true road games for us. That hasn't been a good scenario for us this year.

I feel good about these two games as well. As for the improved D - I think it all depends on us making shots. Buddy, and the Killer G's are much more engaged on D when they have some X's in the book.

You could tell from early on when Kerwin Walton had his shot altered by Syracuse's extended zone a couple of times that he wouldn't be a factor in last Monday's game. To me that was the difference in the game, as Carolina didn't have any kind of perimeter threat.

I'm glad Syracuse is on the other side of the bracket and I think they can do some damage this week.

This (or these...I hope) will unfortunately be true road games for us. That hasn't been a good scenario for us this year.
It’s a neutral site. The other teams aren’t shooting and playing on their home court either.

The way this year's team played defense vs Clemson and N. Carolina has gotten me excited about the next couple, few days. What we saw last week was a completely different team from the one we were watching only a few weeks ago.

The zone has been transformed. It almost seems as though the guys needed to depend on their press a couple of games to get a kinetic 'feel' for how they need to play the zone in order for it to become their single best Team Weapon vs their toughest opponents.

As we saw them work their press several games ago, you could see that they (especially Buddy Boeheim?) were getting a 'feel' for how they would ultimately need to play their zone in order for it to become a big weapon. Needed: an intense, determined effort to force steals like they do when they're working the press only in the half court and in their zone configuration.

It's eagerly looking forward to that next opportunity to get your hands on the ball. If their zone isn't making the other team feel pressured (as with a press), then they're not playing it right. With many repetitions, they finally get a 'feel' for which of the passing lanes the other team is going to try to use to get open shots. Ask Robert Braswell.

It's because I expect that they'll only be better at it this week that I'm very hopeful of them winning their next 2 games and then getting their NCAAT invite.

Could that expectation be wrong? Of course. Another injury to a key player could kill it all. But I sure do like what I've been seeing. If they start out vs NCST with that kind of defensive effort, I'll be smiling right away...

i rarely post and even more rarely do I post anything negative but I give them little chance of beating uva and next to no chance of getting past the weekend if they do get in. This year has reinforced what we’ve known for years - the zone cannot be truly effective without long athletic players, including (if not especially) at the top. And a good zone of course is a special weapon in a tourney format with little prep time. But at best the D is average, at worst it’s scary bad, so I just cannot find reason for optimism this year. Hopefully the worm will turn for this program soon.

i rarely post and even more rarely do I post anything negative but I give them little chance of beating uva and next to no chance of getting past the weekend if they do get in. This year has reinforced what we’ve known for years - the zone cannot be truly effective without long athletic players, including (if not especially) at the top. And a good zone of course is a special weapon in a tourney format with little prep time. But at best the D is average, at worst it’s scary bad, so I just cannot find reason for optimism this year. Hopefully the worm will turn for this program soon.
I bet your fun at a party.

in fariness...the zone did finally click the last 2 games and it made all the difference. Even winning despite not shooting well vs clemson.

No gaaurantee that the zone shows up vs UVA (or that they even make it to that game) - I happen to think UVA is almost the worst pssible matchup for SU in the country behind maybe baylor, gonzaga etc...

BUT - IF the zone shows up - it should bode well for the chances...I do think that the defense has finally clicked into working order FINALLY...

should be interesting.

in my mind 2 players have to play and will give us the best chance to win. Richmond at the top of the zone is how the zone can be effective including jesse edwards. In this instance idc what boeheim said, jesse edwards looks pretty good to me! Both sides of the ball. Theres ways to manuver the lineup and put marek back at the 4 where he belongs.
It will probaly be a close one, its tough to beat a team 3 times in 1 year but in my mind that will increase our chances. We dont win, its over NO TOURNEY! AND THAT WOULD SUCK!

Either Duke is getting very hot Or Boston College is very terrible. Maybe a little of each.

I just looked at the brackets. It's a bizarre year in the ACC. My level of surprise would only be minutely greater if we were to win the whole thing than it would be if we lost the first game. Minutely.

Great News!!

In a very recent interview of Quincy Guerrier by Donna Ditota, Q said this:

The last practices were amazing. Everyone is in a positive mentality. We’re ready to play for tomorrow. Like I said, we need to play our defense. Our defense needs to be great. I think that’s one of the reasons why we won our last games -- we locked in on defense, we communicated. When we play well on defense, everything is going well on offense.

Oh yeah...I'm really feeling good about this team now...right at tournament time!

Great News!!

In a very recent interview of Quincy Guerrier by Donna Ditota, Q said this:

The last practices were amazing. Everyone is in a positive mentality. We’re ready to play for tomorrow. Like I said, we need to play our defense. Our defense needs to be great. I think that’s one of the reasons why we won our last games -- we locked in on defense, we communicated. When we play well on defense, everything is going well on offense.

Oh yeah...I'm really feeling good about this team now...right at tournament time!
The last 2 games they beat 2 tournament teams who can both make it past the first weekend. It was done with defense, so I believe they could get it rolling.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom