Few Thoughts and theories on recent stuff | Syracusefan.com

Few Thoughts and theories on recent stuff

benjams77

Walk On
1st off I would like JB to have 1 more year with any of this group that stays and see what he can do. I think a multitude of things have made the last few years discouraging. Most of all the lack of athletes until this year. I think the team is on a positive track this year and improving and working thru the NIL issues

2nd, I know I do side with JB and worry about the "grass isn't always greener" thought with upcoming changes, but I honestly think the media as with anything else twists quotes for their narrative. Honestly, unless I read JB's quote about "its his decision" wrong, I don't believe that was directed at the powers that be at Cuse. I think it was his frustration with the media, talking heads and fans pushing him out the door and that he was saying its not their decision, its his so get off his ass about retirement. The man knows Cuse admin can do anything they want. But he worded it wrong and the media jumped on board cause the biggest story they can get is JB being gone, especially if fired .

3rd, I have a theory abut Wildhack and BOT with the call. The biggest hire in Syracuse athletics history will be the next basketball coach, and thats a lot of pressure. Right now the clock hasn't started ticking for JW on that hire cause JB is what he acquired and the backlash is on JB, not him. But once that hire is made jobs are on the line if it doesn't work out. JW and people maybe slow playing this too make sure without a doubt that have the guy. Right now they maybe perfectly fine with JB pushing out another year

1st off I would like JB to have 1 more year with any of this group that stays and see what he can do. I think a multitude of things have made the last few years discouraging. Most of all the lack of athletes until this year. I think the team is on a positive track this year and improving and working thru the NIL issues

2nd, I know I do side with JB and worry about the "grass isn't always greener" thought with upcoming changes, but I honestly think the media as with anything else twists quotes for their narrative. Honestly, unless I read JB's quote about "its his decision" wrong, I don't believe that was directed at the powers that be at Cuse. I think it was his frustration with the media, talking heads and fans pushing him out the door and that he was saying its not their decision, its his so get off his ass about retirement. The man knows Cuse admin can do anything they want. But he worded it wrong and the media jumped on board cause the biggest story they can get is JB being gone, especially if fired .

3rd, I have a theory abut Wildhack and BOT with the call. The biggest hire in Syracuse athletics history will be the next basketball coach, and thats a lot of pressure. Right now the clock hasn't started ticking for JW on that hire cause JB is what he acquired and the backlash is on JB, not him. But once that hire is made jobs are on the line if it doesn't work out. JW and people maybe slow playing this too make sure without a doubt that have the guy. Right now they maybe perfectly fine with JB pushing out another year
I'll never understand points like your 2nd one. This has been an irrelevant program for close to a decade now. What exactly do you think gets worse? We can continue to see this team finish in the bottom half of the conference? Fail to make the postseason? Fail to improve recruiting? What gets worse and why?

But he worded it wrong and the media jumped on board cause the biggest story they can get is JB being gone, especially if fired .
I think the idea that "THE MEDIA" (like they are a huge monolith or something) is rubbing their hands together waiting to get JB fired is hilarious. I don't think many in the media, outside of your college b-ball specific reporters, think twice about the Syracuse basketball team other than to go "Hey, Boeheim is still coaching at his age? Thats wild"

Should add I don't discount what your #3 point is. I do wonder if Wildhack just wants to punt until he has to make a move

Point one. You want to see how he does with a team that includes zero new players currently and without his two seniors who score 41% of the average points we score per game. Really? Why? Do you think he’ll do better next year without a center who can score? It’s done. It’s over. Time to start the next chapter.

Point one. You want to see how he does with a team that includes zero new players currently and without his two seniors who score 41% of the average points we score per game. Really? Why? Do you think he’ll do better next year without a center who can score? It’s done. It’s over. Time to start the next chapter.
But we'll have magical new transfers come in and pick up the zone in a couple of months, sure we'll lose a few non-conference games, but that's just the guys getting used to the program. They'll be better in conference play. Conference games are tough and if it wasn't for the refs, we would won game X and game Y, which would have put us at or above the bubble. I think we give him one more year to see what he can do with these new recruits that Weitsman is bringing in. Wash, rinse, repeat.

#3, every AD has a list of coaches in their drawer that needs to be periodically updated with performance and the coaching carousel. If JW doesn't have a list, he is totally unprepared.

Do you know who will be on the roster next year?

Louisville fans don't know who will be on their roster next year. Your point?

Players have changed over the last decade. The head man hasn't. It's his program that's the issue.
I find it silly to adamantly know what will happen when we don’t know what all the pieces will be.
It’s also silly to compare Louisville to SU.

The idea that the media has been unfair to jb is ridiculous. JB creates his own problems.

Jesus. We are gluttons for punishment around here. I’m sure 79 year old Jim will have everything dialed in!

Why delay the inevitable any longer? We stink. Our coach is spewing garbage. There is honestly no good reason to prolong this any longer. Someone needs to grow a set and make the damn decision.

Last edited:
But we'll have magical new transfers come in and pick up the zone in a couple of months, sure we'll lose a few non-conference games, but that's just the guys getting used to the program. They'll be better in conference play. Conference games are tough and if it wasn't for the refs, we would won game X and game Y, which would have put us at or above the bubble. I think we give him one more year to see what he can do with these new recruits that Weitsman is bringing in. Wash, rinse, repeat.
C'mon...we all know Weitsman's NIL's have nothing to do with recruiting players for Syracuse.
That might be contrary to the NIL rules.
Ok, so maybe he's never given an NIL to a player the Orange wen't recruiting.
Just a coincidence.

And if the Orange need people next year, the coach can always go into the portal and buy some, right?

I find it silly to adamantly know what will happen when we don’t know what all the pieces will be.
It’s also silly to compare Louisville to SU.
I find it silly that you still like to beat on strawmen. No one was adamant about anything. His post asked the question why does the OP think that next year will be better? Based on what?

If people aren't allowed to make inferences despite incomplete information, we should all close up shop and hide in our bunkers.

OIP.8iURMQ3X5FK5a_9ex3BGawHaF7.jpeg

Give me one good reason why JB should continue coaching beyond this season. One good reason. Just one.

I’ll hang up and listen…
Well...because Jim will be better at 79 than 78! And Jims been here a long time and deserves another year because hes been loyal

Added: I seriously hear this reason from callers into Syracuse ESPN radio

Last edited:
Give me one good reason why JB should continue coaching beyond this season. One good reason. Just one.

I’ll hang up and listen…
My favorite response when I ask this questions is "Jim's been here forever!!! He built the program!!!"

Based upon available information, yes. It doesn’t get better. Likely only to get worse. Imagine how great JB will be hitting the portal after the national press he’s garnered already this year.
One of the posters that liked your post Cusefan0307 , has stated repeatedly that the best teams are not the teams full of 5 star one and dones , they are the teams with mature 3 and 4 star players. What happens if our freshman class matures a little and we add maybe a wing that can score? Your opinion is it will get worse, mine is that I have no idea what will happen and it's possible the team is better next year.

Your argument essentially comes down to - you don't think JB can coach anymore.

One of the posters that liked your post Cusefan0307 , has stated repeatedly that the best teams are not the teams full of 5 star one and dones , they are the teams with mature 3 and 4 star players. What happens if our freshman class matures a little and we add maybe a wing that can score? Your opinion is it will get worse, mine is that I have no idea what will happen and it's possible the team is better next year.

LOL I think that is most people's assessment of Jim at this point.

I'll never understand points like your 2nd one. This has been an irrelevant program for close to a decade now. What exactly do you think gets worse? We can continue to see this team finish in the bottom half of the conference? Fail to make the postseason? Fail to improve recruiting? What gets worse and why?
It could get much worse than this. We could be a conference bottom feeder and not being getting anything but 2-3 star kids. I'm not saying Boeheim should come back but the idea that we couldn't take a step further down is insane to me.

Not at a consistent high level anymore. Sure there are days where he has his fastball, for example in the loss to Duke last year in ACCT. Thought he coached a great game but I've seen too many teams destroy the zone and he sticks with it for too long, case in point, 52 1st half points from Vtech. Plus his refusal to adapt to the changing landscape of talent acquisition. Uses the portal to replace not upgrade. Offered 2 portal Centers to be a backup, thats not making a big difference in the W/L column. Then uses the excuse of being young like he built his roster in circa 1992 style.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom