Few thoughts post initial scrimmage | Syracusefan.com

Few thoughts post initial scrimmage

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
Hard to take a ton away from two closed to the public scrimmages that weren't full games time wise but based on the two scrimmages and some additional information that came out I do have a few thoughts.

The Offense staring lineup at this point appears to be as follows:
Attack - Evans, Solomon, Bomberry with Voight at the 4th attackmen
Midfield - Salcido, Mariano, Lane
2nd Midfield - Unknown at this point but appears to be some combo of Simmons, McKinney, Trimboli, Burt, Westin and Romano.

From a defensive standpoint things appear to be in pretty good shape. They played well despite Mellen being held out and from another source appears neither Ciferri or Gillis played either. This bodes well for the season especially with an offense that may struggle to score points at least in the beginning of the season. Firman, Cunningham, Bomberry, and obviously Mellen appear to be the 4 close defenders. That's a pretty good young Core with some Veteran leadership with Firman. Fusco/Swigart/Helmer should hold down LSM which should be in good shape as well. Lots of young talented D players at the long poles right now and that's not taking into accout Kennedy who the staff was high on prior to his injury in the fall ( would be shocked if he didn't redshirt).

Goalie and X play are clearly in good hands with two seniors leading the way. Paduda is a great weapon to have in case of injury to Ben. Varello went 6 of 8 in his first game which is a nice sign as well.

Based on what we know to date and the first scrimmage it appears the main question mark for this team will be offense especially the attack and 2nd mid line. The D appears to be in really good hands barring injury. There are some young poles out there so there could some growing pains but still think the unit as a whole is in for a strong year.

From as offensive standpoint the main concern is clearly attack. The fact Desko had to move Bomberry to attack speaks volumes to the current state of the position. Losing Thorpe I think will be a bigger blow to the man up team then the offense itself as he is an excellent finisher but is not much a dodger and would have struggled without a QB type attackmen to complement him a la Stephen Keough. Bomberry may take a few game to get his legs under him attack similar to Mariano at middie last year. To me its concerning that for the second straight year in a row we had to bring in a transfer to play attack due to the lack of in house options/talent (Brown transfer last year). The loss of Dylan Maltz to transfer hurt more then was apparent when he initially left.

It appears Desko is going to have a long leash with Jordan Evans but it's unclear if he can have that breakout senior season like the last #22. Evans did have 3 assists yesterday but only one of them came against Hofstra. If Evans struggles the pressure will build on Solomon to be that dodger who can set up his teammates and also score. Solomon showed flashes of it late in the season last year and in the fall, he could be headed toward a breakout year if he can put it all together. Tough to know what to expect from Bomberry at attack. A great shooter he isn't known as much of a dodger, I envision a role for him similar to Tim Barber last year, also expect a big year out of him on the man up. Ford appears to be a total wild card at this point. Interesting that he did play in the Hofstra game , he could be the 5th attackmen at this point. Curiously no stats for Shewell in either game, wonder if he played an or is healthy. Based on the question marks at attack I expect s0me teams (who have the personnel) will double pole the midfield like Maryland did last year in the tournament. I expect Mariano to invert a lot to take advantage of his skills as an attackmen. There should also be a mismatch most games for Matt Lane as the 3rd midfielder who will almost certainly draw a short stick. He had a nice game yesterday vs Hofstra and appears to have taken that next step forward. Key for Lane will be his ability to contribute consistently as the midfield will need to carry the offense.

Will be interested to see who ultimately ends up on the second mid line. Simmons and McKinney appear to be securely in the mix. Nothing stat wise for Westin yesterday but I would assume he along with Trimboli are also being considered. Simmons and Westin struggled mightily last season which was confounding as Simmons showed well as a Frosh. I expect Trimboli to be on the second line as SU desperately needs some new blood there. Will be interesting to see if SU moves Forkin to middie which he played in high school and could make an immediate impact. Staff also appears very high on Peter Dearth. Assuming SU plays a full 4 quarters and a running 5th against Harvard will be fascinating to see who does or doesn't play at middie.

2nd mid line was Trimboli, Carlin and Dearth.

Interesting, two true Frosh and One Redshirt sophomore. I like the fact that Desko and staff have changed it up and gone to some new blood. I am sky high on Trimboli, very talented. Dearth is pleasant surprise and jumped over quite a few guys who have bene in the system for a year + already. Perhaps this will light a fire under a guy like Simmons to get back to where he was a few years ago versus last year. Westin seems to have really fallen out of favor, Desko usually gives his seniors the befit of the doubt. Anything on Romano at all? Thought I saw his name mentioned some where but didn't see it in the box score. I know he was hurt all of last year.

I believe Romano and Simmons ran on the 3rd line, haven't heard who the 3rd mid was with them. I like Dearth on the 2nd line, big, physical middie who should be able to contribute and if not, would be used as a SSDM

2nd mid line was Trimboli, Carlin and Dearth.
WOW! No Westin or Simmons is surprising considering they have been on that unit for two years now. They didn't show much in their time however so I'm not shocked.

WOW! No Westin or Simmons is surprising considering they have been on that unit for two years now. They didn't show much in their time however so I'm not shocked.
Westin sat out due to a minor injury, I believe he'll have an opportunity to be on the 2nd line during the Harvard scrimmage

Westin sat out due to a minor injury, I believe he'll have an opportunity to be on the 2nd line during the Harvard scrimmage

That would make sense, Desko usually gives his seniors first crack especially middies. Still good to see some young guys getting some run especially with Mariano and Salcido both Seniors we need to build depth to move up to the 1st line next year.

Interesting that Frosh Drake Porter played & burned his RShirt as, presumably, the 3rd stringer behind Molloy & Madonna. Ohio State's official site shows Klan playing in 1 game (recording no stats) last year. If true, I'd have to assume the plan is to RS Klan.

Interesting that Frosh Drake Porter played & burned his RShirt as, presumably, the 3rd stringer behind Molloy & Madonna. Ohio State's official site shows Klan playing in 1 game (recording no stats) last year. If true, I'd have to assume the plan is to RS Klan.

Freshmen can play in scrimmages and it doesn't count against them.

Interesting, thanks. Was this rule changed recently? I ask because I have previously been told otherwise by a former 'Cuse player.

I don't think Klan played last year, that might be an error by OSU.

Interesting, thanks. Was this rule changed recently? I ask because I have previously been told otherwise by a former 'Cuse player.

12.8.3.1.3 Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages During Initial Year. During a student-athlete’s initial year of enrollment at the certifying institution, he or she may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Revised: 5/9/06, 7/31/14)

It's odd as I was always told the opposite, when its because Desko doesn't play someone he doesn't plan on playing at some point throughout the year.

12.8.3.1.3 Preseason Exhibitions/Preseason Practice Scrimmages During Initial Year. During a student-athlete’s initial year of enrollment at the certifying institution, he or she may compete in preseason exhibition contests and preseason practice scrimmages (as permitted in the particular sport per Bylaw 17) without counting such competition as a season of competition. (Revised: 5/9/06, 7/31/14)

Looks like that may have been updated in 2014, which would explain the confusion.

Just curious...what do you think qualifies as a breakout season for Jordan Evans? 35 goals? Will he be a feeding machine and rack up assists. The kid gets a lot of heat but it isn't like he is a total bust. Just not a superstar which is the pressure of the number. I hope he has a good season. I am curious what a good season would be for him.

Honestly I wonder if any member of the attack will get more than 30 goals. Perhaps Solomon? I see Desko shifting a lot of guys in and out down there to see what combo works.

My guess is that the team will be very midfield heavy on the scoring this year. Kind of would like to see if that is possible as a fan I do like it when we have guys who take it up top and ISO one on one. Trimboli is so intriguing. Can't wait to see him play. This is not based on anything just a sweeping statement but I feel championship teams usually have great midfield play. Albany had great attacks in the past but never made the final four.

This is not based on anything just a sweeping statement but I feel championship teams usually have great midfield play. Albany had great attacks in the past but never made the final four.
I agree with this. I think that the majority of the National Championship winners have great midfields. The Gaits teams obviously stand out but even in '08 and '09 those teams had great midfields (especially Matt Abbott and White at LSM).

Both White and Abbott are the last two overall great middies we've had.

Desko just said in interview that bomberry is running with the first mid field.

It's on time warner sports night...

Guess we can assume Mariano is on attack

Was reading last night that Mariano and Bomberry were both running with the 1st line on Saturday alternating possessions, I assume Dekso used it as a bit of an audition. Moving Mariano makes sense because he has an attack background and did do some inverting and ball handling last year from the midfield. Midfield will sill be pretty strong with Salcido, Bomberry, and Lane. The move does zap a big chunk of the dodging aspect out of the 1st midfield as that's not really Bomberry or Lane's strength. Still leaves Salcido though who can certainly dodge and shores up a young and very inexperienced attack unit.

Was reading last night that Mariano and Bomberry were both running with the 1st line on Saturday alternating possessions, I assume Dekso used it as a bit of an audition. Moving Mariano makes sense because he has an attack background and did do some inverting and ball handling last year from the midfield. Midfield will sill be pretty strong with Salcido, Bomberry, and Lane. The move does zap a big chunk of the dodging aspect out of the 1st midfield as that's not really Bomberry or Lane's strength. Still leaves Salcido though who can certainly dodge and shores up a young and very inexperienced attack unit.

If past history is any indicator he will likely continue to tweak the lineup to identify what kind of chemistry will work moving forward.

Agree with you on Lane. Unfortunately dodging is not really his strong suit. However, I hope that Lane will become like a Myles Jones 2.0 with his size. My theory is that he can post up defenders in front of the net and take either alley (strong or weak hand) to the cage that defenders give him. This will free up Salcido, Bomberry, or and our attack do what they do best off ball. Lane has shown some glimpses of this type of production in the past. This will likely not be the focus of our offense but it could be a nice wrinkle.

If past history is any indicator he will likely continue to tweak the lineup to identify what kind of chemistry will work moving forward.

Agree with you on Lane. Unfortunately dodging is not really his strong suit. However, I hope that Lane will become like a Myles Jones 2.0 with his size. My theory is that he can post up defenders in front of the net and take either alley (strong or weak hand) to the cage that defenders give him. This will free up Salcido, Bomberry, or and our attack do what they do best off ball. Lane has shown some glimpses of this type of production in the past. This will likely not be the focus of our offense but it could be a nice wrinkle.

I am sure he will tinker moving forward as you note. I do wish he would pick one of the middies to move and then stick with it. I dont' want to keep moving both Bomberry and Mariano moving around not allowing them to get comfortable. In a perfect world they would both remain on the 1st line but at this point the attack unit needs help for a variety reasons.

Lane showed some dodging ability late in the year when he used a bull dodge to score against Albany in the tournament but your right that is certainly not his strong suit. Perhaps with another year under his belt and the off-season he worked on that part of his game and will continue to take that next step forward. With his height he should have a mismatch most games and will likely draw a short stick most games. Lane's always had a pretty good shot so if he can encompass some dodging and off ball movement in his game he can be a big offensive weapon. Interested to see what he can do in the first few games.

Just curious...what do you think qualifies as a breakout season for Jordan Evans? 35 goals? Will he be a feeding machine and rack up assists. The kid gets a lot of heat but it isn't like he is a total bust. Just not a superstar which is the pressure of the number. I hope he has a good season. I am curious what a good season would be for him.

Honestly I wonder if any member of the attack will get more than 30 goals. Perhaps Solomon? I see Desko shifting a lot of guys in and out down there to see what combo works.

My guess is that the team will be very midfield heavy on the scoring this year. Kind of would like to see if that is possible as a fan I do like it when we have guys who take it up top and ISO one on one. Trimboli is so intriguing. Can't wait to see him play. This is not based on anything just a sweeping statement but I feel championship teams usually have great midfield play. Albany had great attacks in the past but never made the final four.

For Evans if he could have a Sr season similar to Jo Jo Marasco's I think that would be a smashing success. Evans has been the victim of sky high expectations, injuries, and an under performance from what he showed in highschool. It gets a lot of play on the board because he's our guy but the same thing plays out across the country with top end high school players who don't end up starring in college, he's not the first guy to struggle and won't be the last.

The main issue for Evans has been his inability to dodge and his struggle with turnovers. He was a turnover machine last year and really seemed to struggle when he was asked to dodge. He certainly showed some flashes though as he had a couple of nice games last year and was a threat as an off ball guy who got open for good looks. He also rode well and did a good job late in games of not forcing the issue.

For this season I fear Desko might have put to much on his plate. Your asking a guy who has struggled to dodge to now become the QB of the attack unit and be the "Kevin Rice" of the offense. At this point I am not sure Jordan can handle that type of a role. His knee injuries have slowed him down and he doesn't appear to have that upper level speed/athleticism he had in high school. If Mariano is moved to attack full time I think Evans could play a Robin to his Batman type of role and be in good position to capitalize on defenses sliding to Mariano on his dodges/ moves to the goal. Personally I would like to see Evans lower the turnovers, finish better around the cage and at least double his assists from last year. I am not worried as much about him scoring as Mariano, Bomberry, Solomon, Lane, Salcido, Voigt can handle that aspect.

Last edited:
I am sure he will tinker moving forward as you note. I do wish he would pick one of the middies to move and then stick with it. I dont' want to keep moving both Bomberry and Mariano moving around not allowing them to get comfortable. In a perfect world they would both remain on the 1st line but at this point the attack unit needs help for a variety reasons.

Lane showed some dodging ability late in the year when he used a bull dodge to score against Albany in the tournament but your right that is certainly not his strong suit. Perhaps with another year under his belt and the off-season he worked on that part of his game and will continue to take that next step forward. With his height he should have a mismatch most games and will likely draw a short stick most games. Lane's always had a pretty good shot so if he can encompass some dodging and off ball movement in his game he can be a big offensive weapon. Interested to see what he can do in the first few games.

Agreed. There seems to have been a lot more of this tinkering with the lineups at all positions lately. It must be more challenging for Desko coaching now with so many other teams that can make it to championship weekend. The days of having somewhat set lineups going into the season seem to have gone away forever. There were times when our third lines would have started for many of our opponents.

That was a nice bull dodge against Albany. I had forgotten about that one. It will be very interesting to see what he can do during games. The timeline on being a project is running out. He is now a Junior so it is time to really see what we have with his skills. My memory is hazy but I think he performed really well against Sienna last year and kind of fell off against some of the stronger opponents. Need more consistency from him this year. Bullish on the prospect.

Agreed. There seems to have been a lot more of this tinkering with the lineups at all positions lately. It must be more challenging for Desko coaching now with so many other teams that can make it to championship weekend. The days of having somewhat set lineups going into the season seem to have gone away forever. There were times when our third lines would have started for many of our opponents.

That was a nice bull dodge against Albany. I had forgotten about that one. It will be very interesting to see what he can do during games. The timeline on being a project is running out. He is now a Junior so it is time to really see what we have with his skills. My memory is hazy but I think he performed really well against Sienna last year and kind of fell off against some of the stronger opponents. Need more consistency from him this year. Bullish on the prospect.

I think some of the tinkering is good, when you have so many new faces and young guys you have to see who performs when the lights actually come on. Also it appears a lot of guys did not play on sunday including Mellen, the top 3 SSDMS (Ciferri, Gillis, Schwasnick), Forkin, Shewell, Westin etc. That may end up being a good think to get some other guys some live looks against another school and build some depth.

We don't like to talk about it to much but some of the tinkering is a result of recruiting misses and failures. You look at the 2013 and 2014 classes they have really been disappointing with 2013 being pretty much a disaster. 2015 and this years class have been better but we haven't had a lot of break out players (save for Salcido and Mellen) or those 1 or 2 can't miss guys a la Matt Rambo, Shack Stanwick, Cannizzaro, etc. Right now were relying to heavily on transfers with Mariano and Bomberry being arguably our top offensive threats with Donahue gone. This season we have a few players who appear on the cusp of breaking out in Solomon, Lane, Voight, Thorpe had he not been injured, and some promising young players in Trimboli, Burt, Schwasnick, Cunningham, Bomberry the younger etc.

As for Lane he is now a redshirt Jr going into his third year as a middie. He seemed to have a really good fall and the returns early so far this year are promising. He got off to a great start last year against Siena and Albany but then faded in the middle part of the season going back to the second line but picked it back up toward the end again. Key for Lane is going to be consistency as a starter he needs to find his way into the box score game in and game out. I also think with Bomberry and Mariano on the man up unit he's in position to get a lot of great looks and should be able to get a handful of goals on EMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom