2019 FIFA Women's World Cup | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

yeah. not sure that was worthy once you saw a replay. more of a flop once she realized there was slight contact.

but most soccer is a game of flopping.

I'd like to say I'm being unbiased with this, but I liked the call. If it's a foul 60 yards from goal, it should be a foul in the box, and in 95% of the game, a late cleat to the knee is a foul. I think too often refs swallow the whistle in the box and hold infringements to a higher standard than the rest of the field, which I don't agree with.

if she doesnt fall down 10 steps after the contact there is no foul called so how much contact was there?

if she doesnt fall down 10 steps after the contact there is no foul called so how much contact was there?

No offense, but you are 0 for 2 in describing the rule and the play.

no i think i hit it exactly as it happened.. had she run thru the play and not flopped nothing gets called. the contact was so minimal.. as it pertains to the rule i am fine with the call..

no i think i hit it exactly as it happened.. had she run thru the play and not flopped nothing gets called. the contact was so minimal.. as it pertains to the rule i am fine with the call..

She got kicked in the leg why jumping to play a ball and was off balance because of it. She fell one and a half steps later, not ten.

The kick is undeniable. Law 12 of the game is straight forward. If you attempt to play the ball and play the player first or if you kick another player, it is a direct free kick, unless it is in the box, then it’s a PK, regardless of the intent of the offending player.

She got kicked in the leg why jumping to play a ball and was off balance because of it. She fell one and a half steps later, not ten.

The kick is undeniable. Law 12 of the game is straight forward. If you attempt to play the ball and play the player first or if you kick another player, it is a direct free kick, unless it is in the box, then it’s a PK, regardless of the intent of the offending player.
It was a very thin call. I wanted the US to win and they would have likely won anyway it was just a call I wouldn’t have wanted called.
Spain only had one shot on net. They were young and looked like a team of the future but the second penalty was a bullchit call IMo.

That was a tough call for a PK but the correct call.

The ref was pretty fair letting advantage dictate no calls or delayed calls. The PK call looked like a ref waiting to see if the contact negatively impacted the offensive player.

Lavelle wisely went to ground to force the ref into the decision. What many call flopping in soccer is similar to leg kicking or arm flailing in basketball. Force the ref to make a decision consistent with how the game has been officiated.

I think Ertz is better suited on the backline or in a more defensive role. Horan has been a force in the midfield and covers well for Lavelle while she wreaks havoc with pace and passing.

Sauerbrunn has been a stalwart centerback but her age has showed a few times in this tournament. The US keeper rebounded well from the poor clearance that led to the Spanish goal but is still shaky with the ball at times.

I'm guessing the French will attempt high pressure to see if they can force similar sloppiness out of the back. Friday is going to be a great game.

if soccer cleaned up some of these rules it would be a better game, use the hockey flopping rule to clean up some of the play, add some real penalties and someday just fix the stupid random timing rules

if soccer cleaned up some of these rules it would be a better game, use the hockey flopping rule to clean up some of the play, add some real penalties and someday just fix the stupid random timing rules

Adding another subjective rule (e.g. a dive gets a yellow card) will only make the game more difficult to officiate. That rule is rarely called correctly in hockey.

There is no random timing - the advantage rule is pretty easily understood and adjudicated. Like every sport, human referees officiate differently so slight variation isn't the fault of the rulebook.

You're not a fan of the way soccer is officiated.

I like soccer because of the less complicated rule book (compared to hockey, football, baseball) or sports where rules aren't enforced (e.g. traveling in the NBA).

the fact that you have a clock that really isnt a clock is just dumb.

every sport has rules that are hard to enforce. the fact that the dive in hockey has been almost eliminated is a good thing, and hockey is happening 2-3x the speed of a soccer play.

I would like soccer to just try to clean up the 90% fake stuff that goes on.

i dont watch the NBA at all because of the bogus stuff that goes on.

i find the baseball rule book the easiest to deal with because its mostly cut and dry

the fact that you have a clock that really isnt a clock is just dumb.

every sport has rules that are hard to enforce. the fact that the dive in hockey has been almost eliminated is a good thing, and hockey is happening 2-3x the speed of a soccer play.

I would like soccer to just try to clean up the 90% fake stuff that goes on.

i dont watch the NBA at all because of the bogus stuff that goes on.

i find the baseball rule book the easiest to deal with because its mostly cut and dry

You didn't watch the Stanley Cup finals if you believe the dive has been eliminated from hockey. Tarasenko sold the fakest high hit to get a penalty in game 4. NHL guys bob their heads at the slightest contact to draw high-stick penalties. It's gamesmanship.

Baseball is easiest for you because you like the game. I loathe baseball and find the whole game idiotic. The pitcher can't step off the rubber and throw to first (or whatever a balk is). The fact that a catcher can appeal to another official to second guess the plate ump's call (did a hitter break his wrists and "swing") is dumb.

Baseball has far more examples of reactionary rules created to make officiating more difficult than soccer.

To each their own.

Edit - a baseball fan criticizing soccer for "having a clock that really isnt a clock" is where you lose this argument. Baseball - the games that average 3 hours and 5 minutes with actually not having a clock.

Last edited:
i dont care how long a game takes. i like soccer, loved playing it.

baseball has a clock its called an inning..

soccer should just shut the clock off when it decides to do the endless dawdling on the field and problem solved.

the fact that soccer is played on a huge field and decides that one official can handle all the plays is dumb at the the high levels where there is money to pay for officials.

But I will say that baseball and soccer are becoming the last sports were being good at the sport matters more most of the time than just being big and athletic within the sport.

i dont care how long a game takes. i like soccer, loved playing it.

baseball has a clock its called an inning..

soccer should just shut the clock off when it decides to do the endless dawdling on the field and problem solved.

the fact that soccer is played on a huge field and decides that one official can handle all the plays is dumb at the the high levels where there is money to pay for officials.

But I will say that baseball and soccer are becoming the last sports were being good at the sport matters more most of the time than just being big and athletic within the sport.

How many minutes are in an inning?

Thought the call was harsh but camera angles were inconclusive, so by those terms the ref did the right thing.Its knockout stage, survive and advance.

Agreed. Good call. Her leg was clipped. Smart of her to go down...

And the whole fake stuff?

WRs trying to sell pass interference? DLs trying to sell holding.
BB players trying to sell getting fouled on shots or off the bounce?
Catchers moving the mitt to try to get a strike call?

It happens in all sports, not just soccer.

Concerned about Friday. We looked much shakier trying to play out of the back and Spain made life difficult for us with their ability to ping the ball around the pitch. France is equally, if not more, technical.

Agreed. Good call. Her leg was clipped. Smart of her to go down...

And the whole fake stuff?

WRs trying to sell pass interference? DLs trying to sell holding.
BB players trying to sell getting fouled on shots or off the bounce?
Catchers moving the mitt to try to get a strike call?

It happens in all sports, not just soccer.

Concerned about Friday. We looked much shakier trying to play out of the back and Spain made life difficult for us with their ability to ping the ball around the pitch. France is equally, if not more, technical.

I didn't get to watch the match -- only caught the highlights, but it sounded like beating up Morgan and hard-pressing our backline could spell the end of our run.

I didn't get to watch the match -- only caught the highlights, but it sounded like beating up Morgan and hard-pressing our backline could spell the end of our run.
#4 for Spain was an animal. Finally got a yellow towards the end o f the match. They were extremely physical. Morgan got the kicked out of her... There should have been multiple yellows for repeat offences.

Rapinoe does not look like herself. No idea why.

Morgan is just not good at holding play up under pressure. Zardes redux.

Lavelle, Heath and Mewis have been, IMO, our best players... Horan also although she only came on at the end against Spain.

Lots of balls over the top against pressure to try and get in behind...worked initally but Spain adjusted...

#4 for Spain was an animal. Finally got a yellow towards the end o f the match. They were extremely physical. Morgan got the kicked out of her... There should have been multiple yellows for repeat offences.

Rapinoe does not look like herself. No idea why.

Morgan is just not good at holding play up under pressure. Zardes redux.

Lavelle, Heath and Mewis have been, IMO, our best players... Horan also although she only came on at the end against Spain.

Lots of balls over the top against pressure to try and get in behind...worked initally but Spain adjusted...
Agree. Looked like the game plan was to hit Morgan hard every time she got the ball. She isn't the hardiest sort. Refs need to do their job and call fouls when talented players get mugged by thugs. It is a shame that didn't happen here.

I'd like to say I'm being unbiased with this, but I liked the call. If it's a foul 60 yards from goal, it should be a foul in the box, and in 95% of the game,
Huge soccer fan but this statement is where the game needs to change in my humble opinion.

You didn't watch the Stanley Cup finals if you believe the dive has been eliminated from hockey. Tarasenko sold the fakest high hit to get a penalty in game 4. NHL guys bob their heads at the slightest contact to draw high-stick penalties. It's gamesmanship.

Baseball is easiest for you because you like the game. I loathe baseball and find the whole game idiotic. The pitcher can't step off the rubber and throw to first (or whatever a balk is). The fact that a catcher can appeal to another official to second guess the plate ump's call (did a hitter break his wrists and "swing") is dumb.

Baseball has far more examples of reactionary rules created to make officiating more difficult than soccer.

To each their own.

Edit - a baseball fan criticizing soccer for "having a clock that really isnt a clock" is where you lose this argument. Baseball - the games that average 3 hours and 5 minutes with actually not having a clock.

stupidest thing any sport has is the 'Hand ball' rule in soccer where someone can kick the ball at someones hand / arm and dude / woman totally accidentally makes contact with the ball with their arm / hand...completely unavoidable..and its a penalty kick. not to mention penalty kicks are beyond stupid and are way too easy to score on relative to difficulty in scoring a goal via any other manner.

a soccer penalty kick is essentially the equivalent of a hockey shoot out where the goalie has no stick or glove..just the blocker...pads, and helmet.

stupidest thing any sport has is the 'Hand ball' rule in soccer where someone can kick the ball at someones hand / arm and dude / woman totally accidentally makes contact with the ball with their arm / hand...completely unavoidable..and its a penalty kick. not to mention penalty kicks are beyond stupid and are way too easy to score on relative to difficulty in scoring a goal via any other manner.

a soccer penalty kick is essentially the equivalent of a hockey shoot out where the goalie has no stick or glove..just the blocker...pads, and helmet.

It's stupid to you because you don't understand it. What you wrote, "someone can kick the ball at someones hand / arm and dude / woman totally accidentally makes contact with the ball with their arm / hand...completely unavoidable..and its a penalty kick" is false.

No competent official would call a hand ball when a player has their arm/hand in a natural position (near or at their side or covering their face for protection). If a player's arm/hand is away from their body in an unnatural position and makes contact with the ball it is a hand ball.

Watch a well trained defender next time they square up one v one near the box with a ball carrier who looks to shoot/pass. They frequently keep their arms by their side (or link their hands behind their back) to remove any doubt of incidental contact should it occurr.

Again, your not understanding the rule doesn't make it stupid.

Ending a game with PKs is tough but a winner must advance in tournament play.

Last edited: