2019 FIFA Women's World Cup | Syracusefan.com

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

DeGrozz

All American
Well, at least we are seeing some scoring from a US team this month.

I don't know if I've ever seen something like this before. Our Sunday morning pickup game has never ended up so lopsided, crazy to see this happen on the world's largest stage.

I don't know if I've ever seen something like this before. Our Sunday morning pickup game has never ended up so lopsided, crazy to see this happen on the world's largest stage.

I DVRed the game but accidentally saw the score before I left work. I won't be watching. I think I can catch the highlights and get the point that it was a total mismatch. Wow

The men shouldn’t watch that for inspiration.

They can’t make a Cup and the women embarrass it.

Was it two field goals or did they miss an extra point?

This 'controversy' about the USWNT celebrating goals is ridiculous.

You never know when you'll get back to the world cup -- if you've worked your whole life to get there, celebrate your goal. These are grown ass women playing the game. They can handle it.

How do you give up 13 goals in a soccer match?

Not sure if this is a redundant question -- but Thailand's wheel's game off in the second half. They weren't physically prepared to face a world class team and they ran out of gas at about the 60th minute. Chasing the ball for so long and just not having the legs/lungs absolutely killed them. I'm not sure I've ever seen a team so gassed at the end of a game -- professional players swinging and missing on clearances, passes 5 yards off the mark, clearances that didn't even make it to the touchline -- it was insane. With soccer, I feel like that is magnified multiple times. Not only do those mistakes usually cause turnovers causing your team to chase the ball more, but there are also the limited substitutions.

By the end of the match, the Thai team was flat footed and beaten on nearly any speed move we wanted to make, so we got the ball into dangerous spots in the box at will.

The USWNT “B” team would probably make the semifinals of this tournament.

While Thailand isn’t a good team that was damn impressive. Really only France at home can probably beat them this tournament.

These takes are so jelly.
Goal differential. 2 other teams get to play Thailand. What if the US only scored 8, and some other less sensitive team puts up 10.
I have seen soccer games where a team plays keep away. It is insulting to the lesser team.

Goal differential. 2 other teams get to play Thailand. What if the US only scored 8, and some other less sensitive team puts up 10.
I have seen soccer games where a team plays keep away. It is insulting to the lesser team.
Yeah the USWNT did nothing wrong.
It was the first game the Canadians in that analysis are just taking shots because they want a rivalry.

To be fair the criticism was never about how many goals rather somebody counting how many goals they had when the score was 10-0.

Yeah the USWNT did nothing wrong.
It was the first game the Canadians in that analysis are just taking shots because they want a rivalry.
And that’s great for the sport. Canada USA game if they play should be lit now... which again is something that certainly wouldn’t hurt women’s soccer in both countries

If you can differentiate a game between USA and Thailand in a group stage of the World Cup vs a gold medal idk what to say.
You can't be serious. What a terrible comparison.

Glass houses, my friends.

Is classy defined differently depending on the stakes?

I’m at the bar so I don’t have sound. But looks like the refs gifted France the pk here. The contact from the Norwegian looked to be clearly incidental on the follow through. From my boozy frame of reference that is a no call.

Not sure soccer is a sport that lends itself to instant replay. That just seems to kill the momentum of what it supposed to be a non-stop game.

Take care of Spain and get France/Brazil in the next round in Paris. Should be an exciting couple of games next week!

Our women’s team is so ****ing fun to watch.
I am impressed with how they have improved in their ability to possess the ball. Sweden pressed very high and hard and I thought we did a pretty good job of breaking it. A few years ago, it would have been all over the top to break it rather than moving the ball and feeding the ball between the lines.

I would like to see more patience in the final third - too many "settle-for" shots from distance.

Mewis, especially, both sees, and can deliver, that killer pass.

I am impressed with how they have improved in their ability to possess the ball. Sweden pressed very high and hard and I thought we did a pretty good job of breaking it. A few years ago, it would have been all over the top to break it rather than moving the ball and feeding the ball between the lines.

I would like to see more patience in the final third - too many "settle-for" shots from distance.

Mewis, especially, both sees, and can deliver, that killer pass.
Except for a little sloppiness towards the end of the game, I think you’re spot on as far as our possession game, in particular along the back four.