2019 FIFA Women's World Cup | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

2019 FIFA Women's World Cup

off-sides rules are the reason everyone complains when a B-Ball player doesnt hustle back and gets a cheap layup.

I get the people who love soccer in its current form. Still other sports have changed drastically over the years. subs/timing/pt values/pitches/ot rules/etc . what major rules have changed in the last 80 yrs in soccer?

The same reason there is an offside rule in hockey.

It is curious that soccer and hockey would be afraid of a long pass to someone going on-on-one with the goalie ruining the sport when they then decide who wins by having a series of players go one-on-one with the goalie. Why not just make it part of the flow of the game and avoid a lot of those ties to begin with?

Not that it's my business... ;)

My son played for a well known high school coach from South America. This coach absolutely hated overtime decided by penalty kicks - he used to turn his back from the action when his team was involved in them. He was adamant that it was a really bogus way to decide a soccer game and likened it to deciding a football game by having 5 players from each team line up to kick field goals.

The last game of the season we were on the road... we lost after overtime in PK’s and our opposition won the conference on it. It is a bit harsh to go out like that. But the sport doesn’t lend itself to a better tiebreaker. Not practical to keep a match going because the players are exhausted. It comes down to a duel and the game ends on nerves. May not be perfect but the ending will either be gut-wrenching or exhilarating, and emotions will be high.

I’m sure that guy is a better coach than I... but I disagree with turning your back on a squad and his assessment of PK’s. It isn’t anything like lining up 5 random players to kick a field goal. Goalies, even if they guess and dive one way, still have to rely on their skill and athleticism. Goalposts don’t move. 5 random football players kicking a field goal wouldn’t make sense because that isn’t a part of their game (outside of the kicker). Striking the ball with appropriate pace and accuracy is a soccer-specific skill. All players involved in a shootout are displaying technical aspects of the sport.

It might not be a perfect way to end a game, but it isn’t quite the crazy randomness that some claim it to be.

It is curious that soccer and hockey would be afraid of a long pass to someone going on-on-one with the goalie ruining the sport when they then decide who wins by having a series of players go one-on-one with the goalie. Why not just make it part of the flow of the game and avoid a lot of those ties to begin with?

Not that it's my business... ;)
In soccer, it is wholly unfair to the keeper to not have an off-sides rule. The goal is too big. 24'x8'.
The simple answer is if you don't like the game, or don't want to watch enough to perhaps grow to like it, then don't watch.
It's the most watched sport in the world. It doesn't need to change to continue to grow.

off-sides rules are the reason everyone complains when a B-Ball player doesnt hustle back and gets a cheap layup.

I get the people who love soccer in its current form. Still other sports have changed drastically over the years. subs/timing/pt values/pitches/ot rules/etc . what major rules have changed in the last 80 yrs in soccer?
Used to be able to pass back to the goalie, who could then pick it up with his hands.
Plus, soccer doesn't have a ton of rules, so there is not much to change.

I can do it since the 90s:

The offsides rule. 1990.

The backpass rule. 1992.

Introduction of VAR. 2018.

DOGSO (or the professional foul). Many times in the period you referenced, but most recently in 2017.

Change in substitution laws, goalkeepers (2+1). 1994.

Change in substitution laws, all players (3). 1995.

Timing changes for hydration. 2016.

Timing of Halftime. 1995.

Change in substitution laws (from 3 to 7 as long as agreed upon prior to the match -- later reduced to a maximum of 6 in the 2000's).

Several safety related changes, including tackles from behind.

About five changes to overtime rules (golden goal, silver goal, 15+15, subsitution changes, etc)

Methods of scoring, including away goals, throughout the period you referenced.

But if you really don't believe there have been any changes to the game in the last 80 years, go to 1:40 of this video and realize that the play was completely legal and the goal counted. Today it would be an obvious sending off.

I think you are trying to talk about something you are not really educated about.

I can do it since the 90s:

The offsides rule. 1990.

The backpass rule. 1992.

Introduction of VAR. 2018.

DOGSO (or the professional foul). Many times in the period you referenced, but most recently in 2017.

Change in substitution laws, goalkeepers (2+1). 1994.

Change in substitution laws, all players (3). 1995.

Timing changes for hydration. 2016.

Timing of Halftime. 1995.

Change in substitution laws (from 3 to 7 as long as agreed upon prior to the match -- later reduced to a maximum of 6 in the 2000's).

Several safety related changes, including tackles from behind.

About five changes to overtime rules (golden goal, silver goal, 15+15, subsitution changes, etc)

Methods of scoring, including away goals, throughout the period you referenced.

But if you really don't believe there have been any changes to the game in the last 80 years, go to 1:40 of this video and realize that the play was completely legal and the goal counted. Today it would be an obvious sending off.

I think you are trying to talk about something you are not really educated about.
Another huge change has been the ball. The ability to "bend" the ball due to changes in materials and design has really changed the game, and has really made the goal even bigger, in a practical sense.

Was that a legit penalty ?
By the rule the Dutch girl didn’t make contact with the ball and her leg was high but I hate that call in a World Cup final.
It ended the game. The US is miles better and the Dutch will get exposed on the counter now.

France and England were better than this Dutch team.
The US team is a machine they beat every single good team in this tournament and earned the title.

Job well done by USWNT. Very proud of them.

Someone is going to be firing out some butthurt tweets, which makes this 'Ship all that much sweeter.

Haha, "If you come at the queen, you best not miss"

Great work by the US Women. They dominated with excellent defense, smart offense and terrific conditioning and athleticism. They worked their feet like a good boxer works the jab.

And the go ahead goal was scored by a US player going one-on-one with the goalie in front of that big, bad goal! (But on a penalty kick.) The Dutch goalie was very good, though.

I was surprised that TOP was only 53%-47%. It seemed a lot more one-sided than that. The story of the game, as it usually is, was shots on goal: 17-5. The Dutch got one shot off every 19 minutes of play. That makes it kind of hard to win.

Even if US Soccer doesn't pay them for what they are worth, they can always go to the White House for Big Macs.

Great editorial! It’s disgusting that the women’s team is treated this way in this day and age.

The editorial is just flat wrong.
The Men’s World Cup generates more Revenue.
The comparisons of revenue are cherry picked to make the argument.
Compare the revenue the USMNT generates in a World Cup year versus the revenue the USWNT generates in a World Cup year.
Not a non-Tournament year for the men versus a World Cup year for the women.
Also the women get a salary from the federation in the CBA. The men just get paid per game.

FIFA should increase the payouts for the women but equal pay is just an argument spewed to score political points. They don’t generate the same revenue.
If the women’s World Cup generates 4 billion dollars like the men’s World Cup they would get the same payouts.

Should WNBA players get the same payouts as the NBA players?

Compare the revenue the USMNT generates in a World Cup year versus the revenue the USWNT generates in a World Cup year.
Also the women get a salary from the federation in the CBA. The men just get paid per game.

FIFA should increase the payouts for the women but equal pay is just an argument spewed to score political points. They don’t generate the same revenue.
If the women’s World Cup generates 4 billion dollars like the men’s World Cup they would get the same payouts.

You’re comparing the USMNT to the NBA?

Of course, in the interest of gender equality, just eliminate gender based sports: best players play. Separate but equal us inherently unequal.

You’re comparing the USMNT to the NBA?
When it comes to revenue earned its the same argument.
The USMNT earns more because FIFA makes the more money from the men’s WC.

Just like the NBA TV contract for NBA and WNBA.

The women get a higher percentage of the revenue from their WC than the men do from their WC.
It’s just the men’s WC generates x10 the revenue.