Fill in the blank | Syracusefan.com

Fill in the blank

Eric15

Living Legend
If we beat Louisville on Friday, it would be the most important win for the SU football program since [blank].

Wake Forest, when we went 2-0 to start last year...not to be a downer, but I don't think this in itself is a huge win.

I figured Colgate would be the obligatory first response. But now that we have that out of the way, what do people really think? What was the last time a win changed the perception of the program nationally in a significant way?

The last time we beat Louisville?

The most accurate answer is we can't know until we see how the whole season plays out. A win against them and a 5-7 season would make it an afterthought. A win against them that leads to 8-4 would be viewed as a launching point.

From the depths we need to crawl out from, dare I say it? Nebraska...

I figured Colgate would be the obligatory first response. But now that we have that out of the way, what do people really think? What was the last time a win changed the perception of the program nationally in a significant way?
As far as national perception, maybe UNC '95. They were ranked and we were coming off two bowless seasons.

Or maybe Florida '91. We weren't a laughing stock at that point, but we beat a top 5 SEC team and ended up with a 10-2 season finishing 11th in the rankings. That probably changed perception from average northern team to national player.

I'm not sure a win would change the national perception. It'd probably be most similar to the 2012 Louisville win - another upset.

We're way past the point of turning the corner via one game. It's going to take some sustained winning to change local and national perception about the program and what Babers is doing.

A win over Louisville would get us votes in the Top 25 and would also cause the fair weather fans to start rubber necking. Who knows, maybe they would actually start coming to the games.

That would be great.

I don't think beating UL makes a big ripple nationally. Clemson, FSU, Notre Dame to a lesser extent, different story.

ssmorol said:
Wake Forest, when we went 2-0 to start last year...not to be a downer, but I don't think this in itself is a huge win.

Do you watch college football? Wake Forest is not Louisville.

I think it's closer to that win @WVU under Marrone.

2-0 gets some pundits to notice. 3-0 gets the second glance and some consideration. 4-0, votes for top 25. 5-0 (beating ND) gets you top 20.

A win this week vs Louisville might make a few people begin to think we're not in the Chuck Wepner (Bayonne Bleeder) category, but without some sustained success it won't mean much longer term.

It wouldn't be a program defining win. It'd be a big upset. If we ended up 6-6 on the year then it'd hardly be remembered. See: West Virginia, 2011.

I think a win here is a bit different than some of the previous upsets mentioned. You can already sense a tiny national buzz with Babers. This would be the train leaving the station. Get. Hype.

Exactly when during the season matters.

Week 2, everyone is starving for football, Friday prime time, against a Louisville which was mentioned several times during Clemson/FSU/Houston games as a Look Out For playoff-crasher team?

Potential energy here is BIG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom