Final Day in the BE | Syracusefan.com

Final Day in the BE

OrangePA

Living Legend
It raised the BB Program to heights that few of us ever anticipated while we watched Bob Dooms and Dennis DuVal win games against the likes of Niagara and St.Francis.

It pushed the FB to another level with access to two Fiesta Bowls and an Orange Bowl.

It helped develope the Olympic sports to varying degrees.

It gave us the great year-end tournament in NYC at the Garden.

But it could only do so much.

And now, in less than 24 hours the ACC will take Syracuse University to another level with revenue and competition that will allow the FB program to finally have a chance to truly compete with the big boys.

So I'll toast the BE tonight and at Midnight give a cheer - we are the ACC.

I posted this on the music thread, but it fits here as well:

will representatives from M aryland help celebrate as well

will representatives from M aryland help celebrate as well

They will, for a little while, and then take the fat chick (Buttgers) to another party

No question--the Big East was AMAZING.

Problem is, what we've been subjected to the last few years isn't the same Big East I grew up loving.

I'm eager for the ACC, and very happy that we landed on our feet in a stable situation, but will always look back with nostalgic fondness at our time in the Big East Conference. Especially the early days.

It raised the BB Program to heights that few of us ever anticipated while we watched Bob Dooms and Dennis DuVal win games against the likes of Niagara and St.Francis.

It pushed the FB to another level with access to two Fiesta Bowls and an Orange Bowl.

It helped develope the Olympic sports to varying degrees.

It gave us the great year-end tournament in NYC at the Garden.

But it could only do so much.

And now, in less than 24 hours the ACC will take Syracuse University to another level with revenue and competition that will allow the FB program to finally have a chance to truly compete with the big boys.

So I'll toast the BE tonight and at Midnight give a cheer - we are the ACC.
I haven't quite gotten to the point of saying we are the ACC. I'm still stuck at "We're in the ACC." But I love HCSS's attitude of going there and taking them by storm. I'm sure we'll forever be "those damn yankees."

Kinda feels like high school graduation day... Lots of emotions; some sweet, some melancholy... But, with a strong sense that we are moving on to bigger and better things in the next chapter of our lives...

I will miss the Big East ... the way it used to be...with eight or nine teams and a home and home basketball schedule in the very accessible northeast. The recent sprawling mess ... not so much.

Couldn't agree more, Joyce.

Though we had to make the move, I will really miss the Big East.

I will miss BE basketball. As far as BE football is concerned, I was excited for it in the 90s. Since 2003, it has been an abomination of a pathetic patchwork. I won't miss it.

What sucks is that in today's media landscape, a northeastern football conference of Syracuse, Penn State, BC, UConn, Rutgers, Pitt, Temple, West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Navy and Army; along with non-football members of G'town, St. John's, Villanova, and Notre Dame, could have been pretty darn successful.

But the northeast has just never had the right combination of vision and circumstance to pull it off.

Ultimately, given the alternatives, we are a better institutional fit in this east coast version of the ACC. I'll always wonder what could have been though.

No question--the Big East was AMAZING.

Problem is, what we've been subjected to the last few years isn't the same Big East I grew up loving.

I'm eager for the ACC, and very happy that we landed on our feet in a stable situation, but will always look back with nostalgic fondness at our time in the Big East Conference. Especially the early days.

Many of us older ACC fans look back at the old 7- and 8-team ACC with equal fondness. Especially from the '70s, when each conference got just one bid to the NCAA Tournament. Those old ACC Tournaments were great high drama, and, great basketball. Many of them still wish for the 8- or 9-team ACC.

I was initially against ACC expansion, but, its really been good for the league. And, I feel that 'Cuse and Pitt coming in now will only enhance it even more. This fall cannot get here soon enough.

I haven't quite gotten to the point of saying we are the ACC. I'm still stuck at "We're in the ACC." But I love HCSS's attitude of going there and taking them by storm. I'm sure we'll forever be "those damn yankees."

LOL...that'll probably be true. Especially the times after you beat folks in hoops. :D

The biggest thing, IMHO, is for the fanbases to treat each other well at all times. Be hospitible at home, and, humble on the road. I think most schools' fanbases are. The thing is, we tend to only remember the knuckleheads we encounter, rather than the good folks.

Kinda feels like high school graduation day... Lots of emotions; some sweet, some melancholy... But, with a strong sense that we are moving on to bigger and better things in the next chapter of our lives...

An appropriate analogy.

I will miss the Big East ... the way it used to be...with eight or nine teams and a home and home basketball schedule in the very accessible Northeast. The recent sprawling mess ... not so much.

As an outsider, let me ask this:

Why didn't the BE football schools break away, and, form your own league? Those schools would've been a darn good all sports league, IMHO.

Why didn't the BE football schools break away, and, form your own league? Those schools would've been a darn good all sports league, IMHO.
It's a long, complex story ... much of it revolving around Penn State. At the time the Big East was formed (as a basketball only conference), Joe Paterno aggressively pushed his vision of a football conference consisting of PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Maryland, West Virginia, Rutgers, and a few other schools (Army?). Jake Crouthamel, then SU athletic director, was strongly in favor of the idea, but the geniuses running the Big East (aka the Providence mafia) wanted nothing to do with it ... or with Penn State.

Once the Big East added football as a sport and took in Miami, West Virginia, Vtech, etc., to make a football league with Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, etc... the basketball schools (Providence, Georgetown, SJU, etc), demanded parity with the football schools ... so it became this weird monster with 8 football schools and 8 non-football schools. Somewhere along the way, UConn went from D1A to D1 in football, and Temple was in, out and in again of the Big Easst as a football-only school. And once again.. the non-football schools kept out Penn State.

By this time Maryland had joined the ACC and Penn State subsequenntly joned the Big 10, permanently dashing hopes for a true northeastern football conference. By the time the football schools wanted to break away, Miami, VTech and BC had already joined Maryland in the ACC and Penn State had joined the Big 10 ... leaving the Big East in the position of having to add schools such as South Florida, Louiville and Cinci (balanced by adding schools like DePaul and Marquette to keep the basketball schools happy). This is a short-hand version of a continually worsening mess, with all the remaining football schools seeking out of the Big East. As a result, West VA went to the Big 12, Rutgers went to the Big 10, and Syracuse/Pitt/Louiville are heading to the ACC.

To sum things up: If the Big East founders had more foresight back in 1980 (rather than thinking in terms of only basketball), they could have created a strong football conference. But the leadership in Providence was incapable of thinking that way... and the non-football schools had too much power within the conference to let it happen.

When Miami and Va Tech left in 2003, there was talk amongst the remaining football schools (BC, SU, UConn, Rutgers, Pitt, and WV) that splitting from the basketball schools was the way to proceed.

Until the ESPN execs got involved, and said that a 16 team mega-conference was worth more $$$ per team than two seperate 8 team conferences.

And everyone decided to play nice for a few years longer.

It's a long, complex story ... much of it revolving around Penn State. At the time the Big East was formed (as a basketball only conference), Joe Paterno aggressively pushed his vision of a football conference consisting of PSU, Pitt, Syracuse, Boston College, Maryland, West Virginia, Rutgers, and a few other schools (Army?). Jake Crouthamel, then SU athletic director, was strongly in favor of the idea, but the geniuses running the Big East (aka the Providence mafia) wanted nothing to do with it ... or with Penn State.

Once the Big East added football as a sport and took in Miami, West Virginia, Vtech, etc., to make a football league with Syracuse, Pitt, Boston College, etc... the basketball schools (Providence, Georgetown, SJU, etc), demanded parity with the football schools ... so it became this weird monster with 8 football schools and 8 non-football schools. Somewhere along the way, UConn went from D1A to D1 in football, and Temple was in, out and in again of the Big Easst as a football-only school. And once again.. the non-football schools kept out Penn State.

This is where I think the football schools got robbed. You were providing two-thirds of the league's TV content, so, the basketball-only schools demanding parity was a slap in your faces, IMHO. That inequality was what would hurt the BE the most.

By this time Maryland had joined the ACC and Penn State subsequenntly joned the Big 10, permanently dashing hopes for a true northeastern football conference. By the time the football schools wanted to break away, Miami, VTech and BC had already joined Maryland in the ACC and Penn State had joined the Big 10 ... leaving the Big East in the position of having to add schools such as South Florida, Louiville and Cinci (balanced by adding schools like DePaul and Marquette to keep the basketball schools happy). This is a short-hand version of a continually worsening mess, with all the remaining football schools seeking out of the Big East. As a result, West VA went to the Big 12, Rutgers went to the Big 10, and Syracuse/Pitt/Louiville are heading to the ACC.

I thought adding Louisville and Cincinnati were good moves. Both have been solid all-sports schools. I understand adding USF to keep a presence in FL, but, they seemed too far out of the footprint. Miami was one thing, but, they have 5MNCs. USF is a start up program.

In hoops, DePaul was a horrible add. They've not been a great program in ages. Marquette, like USF, is too much of an outlier. Just like Creighton will be this coming season. Very good programs, but not 'eastern' teams in anyway.

To sum things up: If the Big East founders had more foresight back in 1980 (rather than thinking in terms of only basketball), they could have created a strong football conference. But the leadership in Providence was incapable of thinking that way... and the non-football schools had too much power within the conference to let it happen.

Very good point. The BE football schools would've been a good hoops league in its own right.

Many of us older ACC fans look back at the old 7- and 8-team ACC with equal fondness. Especially from the '70s, when each conference got just one bid to the NCAA Tournament. Those old ACC Tournaments were great high drama, and, great basketball. Many of them still wish for the 8- or 9-team ACC.

I was initially against ACC expansion, but, its really been good for the league. And, I feel that 'Cuse and Pitt coming in now will only enhance it even more. This fall cannot get here soon enough.

I remember when only the ACCT winner went to the (32 team) NCAA tourney. That was nuts.

I remember when only the ACCT winner went to the (32 team) NCAA tourney. That was nuts.

The pressure was unbelieveable. But, it made for some truly GREAT ACCTs. The 1974 NCSU-UMD ACCT Final was one of the greatest games of all time.

LOL...that'll probably be true. Especially the times after you beat folks in hoops. :D

The biggest thing, IMHO, is for the fanbases to treat each other well at all times. Be hospitible at home, and, humble on the road. I think most schools' fanbases are. The thing is, we tend to only remember the knuckleheads we encounter, rather than the good folks.

Hopefully this is well-received (though this is probably a group that doesn't need to be reminded of that). But elements at the Dome can be pretty hostile toward visitors. Would like to see that improve.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom