Final drive | Syracusefan.com

Final drive

Cusefan78

Negative Nancy
Did anyone really feel that last drive was going to actually result in a game winning drive for su? I had zero faith and I think after going through grob and all the years of gut wrenching play has numbed me. Sure last year was great but it seems more like a one off tease. Recruiting hasn’t been all that great and it’s clearing showing in our play and record. Play calling is as bad as I ever have season minus option to short side- run up the middle- option short side we endured in the final few years of coach p. Super disappointed in how this is unfolding.

Did anyone really feel that last drive was going to actually result in a game winning drive for su? I had zero faith and I think after going through grob and all the years of gut wrenching play has numbed me. Sure last year was great but it seems more like a one off tease. Recruiting hasn’t been all that great and it’s clearing showing in our play and record. Play calling is as bad as I ever have season minus option to short side- run up the middle- option short side we endured in the final few years of coach p. Super disappointed in how this is unfolding.
i figured we would either hit a deep one or get stopped, i had no confidence of methodically marching down the field

I thought they had a decent chance of scoring. The offense was building some momentum late in the 4th quarter.

But then they decided that it's a good idea to pass to the middle of the field with 90 seconds left in the game.
And there were the two false starts in the last drive, too.

At the time, I thought we could and would pull it off.

Why I didn’t think there would be a killer false start and a killer sack as a result of the QB holding the ball too long as we did ALL NIGHT is beyond me. Cockeyed optimist I guess.

At the time, I thought we could and would pull it off.

Why I didn’t think there would TWO killer false starts and a killer sack as a result of the QB holding the ball too long as we did ALL NIGHT is beyond me. Cockeyed optimist I guess.
Fixed

So we went 10-3 last year but we lost yesterday because of recruiting...

I thought we were going to win it. We drove to their 40 with plenty of time left. I thought we maybe should have spiked after the last first down just to get composed.

So we went 10-3 last year but we lost yesterday because of recruiting...
Yes. The fact we are half way through year 4 and we have this offensive line and clearly no backup qb and no linebackers is clearly a recruiting issue.

Yes. The fact we are half way through year 4 and we have this offensive line and clearly no backup qb and no linebackers is clearly a recruiting issue.

So recruiting the best OL guy we had last year, the highest ranked QB to come to the Dome in two decades, a potential 1st round pick at DE and two FR All-Americans means he can’t recruit.

There are definite areas of underperformance but to blanket say Dino can’t recruit is, we’ll say...foolish and lazy.

the biggest issue is that the really good teams start out with better oline recruits or have the depth to not play them, until 2-3 yrs into their development.. we are not close to that...

So recruiting the best OL guy we had last year, the highest ranked QB to come to the Dome in two decades, a potential 1st round pick at DE and two FR All-Americans means he can’t recruit.

There are definite areas of underperformance but to blanket say Dino can’t recruit is, we’ll say...foolish and lazy.
. So you’re going to pick 6 players out of 80+ recruits isn’t all that great. Dino and staff are missing on a lot of priorities, class rankings aren’t all that much better then the two prior staffs. We can all say stars don’t make a difference but the simple fact of the matter is that they do. Sure you can get a few diamonds in the rough but over all we aren’t getting enough quality players and it’s showing.

I had no doubt the refs would screw SU on the drive if SU didn't do so themselves. That said, there is no excuse for the following:

Offensive Play calls. Paul P. and George D. were less predictable. "Hey, let's surprise them with a run up the gut!" Next series, "They will never guess we will run it up the middle." Rinse, repeat.
O-Line Play - The guys need to start gelling. Early on, being out of position is a legitimate excuse. Not so at the midway point of the season. Someone needs to open holes for the RBs and block for the passer.
TD needs to run more often. This messed with NCState heads. He faster than most people think and avoiding sacks seems to be a good thing for QBs in the modern football game. TD should roll out more, he has a little more time to pass, run, or throw it away. Plus, he won't be between the tackles and he cannot be penalized for throwing the ball away 9intentional grounding).

The reason we run up the middle is because staff figures that if we gain 3 or 4 yards it is a successful play. This is the fallacy that is killing us. Stringing together 3 plays in a row that each gain 3.5 yards is unlikely. Football plays are inconsistent. We need to call plays that are designed to gain more than 3 yards. If we could run up the middle for 5 yards per successful play it would be a different story but if you run for 3 or 4 yards on a successful play you are dead meat. Reality is that not every play will be successful. Planning for inconsistency is missing from our game plan.

i think we run up the middle so much to open up the wr screens on the outside

Regardless of why we start running up the middle on every series, the defense knows what we are doing and is prepared. 2nd & 8 or worse is not a good start and leads to 3rd & long.

The offense is supposed to be designed to take what a defense gives us. The play calling looks more like Big 10's "3 yards and a cloud of dust" play calling until late in the fourth quarter. We lack the Big 10 O-line to play like that. Start the game like we are late in the fourth quarter and this team will do fine.

. So you’re going to pick 6 players out of 80+ recruits isn’t all that great. Dino and staff are missing on a lot of priorities, class rankings aren’t all that much better then the two prior staffs. We can all say stars don’t make a difference but the simple fact of the matter is that they do. Sure you can get a few diamonds in the rough but over all we aren’t getting enough quality players and it’s showing.

You picked 3-4 as representative...but others doing so...Got it.

But diamonds in the rough don't make All-American as a FR or are projected to be 1st round picks in less than three years.

You picked 3-4 as representative...but others doing so...Got it.

But diamonds in the rough don't make All-American as a FR or are projected to be 1st round picks in less than three years.
You’re right this team is stacked and loaded everywhere. We are just playing this oline to make it fair for our competition. Cordy is out there because 5’ tall is the new 6’2”.

Guys graduated and theres turnover. Florida State annually has top 25 classes and they're in the same boat.

Getting tired of the bitching and moaning on this board since Thursday. Go outside and do something.

You’re right this team is stacked and loaded everywhere. We are just playing this oline to make it fair for our competition. Cordy is out there because 5’ tall is the new 6’2”.

OR Cordy is out there because his All-American safety is out hurt and future NFL cornerback is out hurt.

Do you not understand the toll injuries place? C’mon, man...

OR Cordy is out there because his All-American safety is out hurt and future NFL cornerback is out hurt.

Do you not understand the toll injuries place? C’mon, man...
Totally get the injuries and I totally get we have not upgraded the backups and this is why we are in this position.

We run up the middle because we don't how to block for an outside run. And we don't know that because we run up the middle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom