Final thoughts on Noel and moving on to 2013 | Syracusefan.com

Final thoughts on Noel and moving on to 2013

Francis03

All American
Been following recruiting since 2000, and if I had to rank the top circus like recruitments involving SU. It would be 1)Hodge, 2)Noel, 3)Tobias. More surprised than shock that he choose Kentucky, and now I learned that you can never count Calipari out no matter what you've been told. I know some of you guys dismissed Thamel's tweet about Noel not qualifying and I have no doubt that UK will take care of that. Just remember that his camp has mentioned playing for pay overseas for the past few years. So I wouldn't be surprise if another Brandon Jennings situation comes about.

Now back to us. Below is an early prediction for what I believe the 2013 class could look like.

PG-Ennis
SG-Stanford Robinson/BPA(best player available)
SF-Rondae Jefferson
PF-Goodluck/Tyler Roberson
C-Anya/Obokoh/BPA

Currently I feel good about Ennis and Robinson(if he gets offered) but nothing is a lock. The Jefferson and Anya recruitments could become our yearly circuses. I'm also interested to see how Goodluck plays without Noel by his side.

What are the current rankings for those guys? I haven't really followed too closely, how many are McD's candidates? Jefferson? Is Ennis, or Goodluck?

Were in great shape going forward, "missing" out on one recruit means nada in the long run

Been following recruiting since 2000, and if I had to rank the top circus like recruitments involving SU. It would be 1)Hodge, 2)Noel, 3)Tobias. More surprised than shock that he choose Kentucky, and now I learned that you can never count Calipari out no matter what you've been told. I know some of you guys dismissed Thamel's tweet about Noel not qualifying and I have no doubt that UK will take care of that. Just remember that his camp has mentioned playing for pay overseas for the past few years. So I wouldn't be surprise if another Brandon Jennings situation comes about.

Francis, this will sound like a stupid, obvious question, but what do these coaches like JB think after something like this goes down? Do they anticipate it? I heard Hop was pissed about Hodge! I'm sure they are upset, but do they ever retain anger against these cheaters. How can JB seriously respect Calipari or Thompson for that matter?

Now back to us. Below is an early prediction for what I believe the 2013 class could look like.

PG-Ennis
SG-Stanford Robinson/BPA(best player available)
SF-Rondae Jefferson
PF-Goodluck/Tyler Roberson
C-Anya/Obokoh/BPA

Currently I feel good about Ennis and Robinson(if he gets offered) but nothing is a lock. The Jefferson and Anya recruitments could become our yearly circuses. I'm also interested to see how Goodluck plays without Noel by his side.

Francis, this will sound like a stupid, obvious question, but what do these coaches like JB think after something like this goes down? Do they anticipate it? I heard Hop was pissed about Hodge! I'm sure they are upset, but do they ever retain anger against these cheaters. How can JB seriously respect Calipari or Thompson for that matter?

I would be ecstatic with a class consisting of Ennis and Jefferson and whoever else would just add to it. I feel Jefferson would fit in perfectly here.

Were in great shape going forward, "missing" out on one recruit means nada in the long run

You may be right, but with all of the off the court stuff this year, landing the #1 recruit and him having a successful experience would have potentially not only kept us from losing recruiting prowess, but showed other recruits that we were an alpha dog. Until we see what the next class does, I think it is hard to argue otherwise.

What are the current rankings for those guys? I haven't really followed too closely, how many are McD's candidates? Jefferson? Is Ennis, or Goodluck?
Im pretty sure Ennis will be a McDonald's AA and probably jefferson

I want jefferson the most
But we really, really need Ennis. Guard has to be our priority, because barring anyone far surpassing expectations, and going pro early, our front court will be set for 13-14 (depth is great, but CJ/Rak/DC/BMK/Grant should be more than adequate).

Just have to move on. Remember after Hodge we got Hak, and then Melo committed for the next class. We'll survive without Noel, but I really feel bad for Mike Hopkins. He built a strong genuine relationship with Noel, which I know for a fact that nobody else on the other staffs had, but unfortunately in the end it wasn't good enough to get him to come here. The staff has a target list for 2013-2015 which is already golden. We just have to get back to locking these kids up early. SU isn't currently built to win these long drag-em out battles, where parents/handlers are looking for the highest bidder by the deadline.

Just have to move on. Remember after Hodge we got Hak, and then Melo committed for the next class. We'll survive without Noel, but I really feel bad for Mike Hopkins. He built a strong genuine relationship with Noel, which I know for a fact that nobody else on the other staffs had, but unfortunately in the end it wasn't good enough to get him to come here. The staff has a target list for 2013-2015 which is already golden. We just have to get back to locking these kids up early. SU isn't currently built to win these long drag-em out battles, where parents/handlers are looking for the highest bidder by the deadline.
The "lock them up early" thing makes me think, when was the last time we landed someone REALLY early? MCW?

Would our chances been any better if Noel remained in the Class of 2013? Cal might be gone by then. On another note, will JB be able to attend games ( ala John Thompson, Sr.) after he retires?

The "lock them up early" thing makes me think, when was the last time we landed someone REALLY early? MCW?
Dion committed during his freshman year of HS IIRC.

Remember the name Dayshon Smith if things start to go south with Ennis.

Final thoughts on Noel?
IMG_0466.PNG

The kid we need the most is Ennis, a quality PG with great handle and passing skills that makes his teammates better. We will have only MCW to play PG in 13-14 and nobody if he were to blow up and leave early. The NN circus shows why JB usually doesn't go after the top 5 type recruits. You have to deal with a sewer full of cheats and lowlifes with lots of drama and it usually ends up a waste of time. We do much better with the #15-50 ranked kids.

The kid we need the most is Ennis, a quality PG with great handle and passing skills that makes his teammates better. We will have only MCW to play PG in 13-14 and nobody if he were to blow up and leave early. The NN circus shows why JB usually doesn't go after the top 5 type recruits. You have to deal with a sewer full of cheats and lowlifes with lots of drama and it usually ends up a waste of time. We do much better with the #15-50 ranked kids.

O hai Carmelo.

J/K. I know it's not the same.

I think Bjorn has already guaranteed we land Ennis. So we can move onto other targets.

I can tell you the Providence coaches were probably more dismayed about Hodge not choosing Syracuse. They were devastated but as Francis said they just move on, it's the ugly part of their world.

I think he's become more matter of fact about it over the years. Now that we are back getting the top recruits again, and we are deep at every position, with McDonald's kids waiting for their turn, life is good. Missing any particular kid doesn't leave us bare, like Kenny Anderson once did. It's a numbers game at this point. Keep top kids in the pipeline who understand and accept the systtem.

First the Andy, Wes & Arinze team turned around the culture from the selfish Flynn/Harris/Devendorf/Greene style of play, where defense was second, and they did not like to play the zone and were happy to tell the press, because they were all going to be NBA stars, dammit. DYNASTY !

Then we had the Philly Boyz keep us at a high level, along with Kris (Most Wins) Joseph. That will be a trivia question some day. But culturally, this last team really set the tone again, that we are unselfish, we are team first, I like how the culture has changed the past few years.

If you ask me, Boeheim manages the whole program, and in particular the recruiting, much better than 10 years ago. Mike does the heavy lifting, but JB seems more comfortable in his own skin, and when you aren't really "selling", you don't press, and it's much easier to close.

Speaking of unselfish, anyone else think we might be unselfish to a fault next year? We have a ton of great team players and very good passers, but right now I don't know who will become the go-to guy. Not to sound like Hubert Davis, but I'm really failing to see who our "dude" will be. Triche has the tools, but hasn't displayed the attitude. MCW has potential. CJ's game is too limited, at least for now.

Dion really could have put up 20+ next year. C'est la vie.

Are we chasing any of the top 20-25 recruits? Looking around ESPN, rivals, scout, we don't seem to be after any of those types other than Roberson. Is it because those kids are outside our normal recruiting areas, seeing how many are from the South, West and Midwest??

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom