Finger Lakes | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Finger Lakes

My family and I will be heading to the Finger Lakes later this month. I was looking for through the threads to see if there had been any specific recommendations for the region, but to my surprise there none had been started. Please share your thoughts! We like sampling tasty libations, good food, and some outdoor time. From what I've gathered in a quick search of the threads I gather these are worthwhile experiences:
We plan on mostly relaxing, but any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks all!

All the FLX restaurants are really good.

Fingerlakes offer a lot of options, but can get a bit overwhelming trying to pack to much in.

If your into wine and beer all three of the main finger lakes (Cayuga, Seneca and Keuka) are great options. Prices have gone up for tastings since COVID (sometimes significantly) but still a great time to travel the trails and see different wineries, breweries, distilleries, etc.

Don't be afraid to try some of the smaller wineries or ones not on the actual "trail", tons of hidden gems. Some are doing tastings outside so your not getting the full experience at some but its at least 75%.

If you move forward with a wine tour update this thread with the lake and I can provide some specific recommendations. Cayuga lake is a smaller lake with the wineries spread short distances apart but enough to review the scenery and enjoy yourself. Knapp, Varick, Buttonwood, Thirsty Owl, Americana and Sheldrake are all great locations, Lakeshore isn't on the official trail but I would recommend them as well, in house open fire place and usually zero crowd so your getting on on one attention. There are two cideries on the lake, both good, and several dining options.

If you decide on Seneca or Keuka let me know I can provide additional options.

As for beer, two goats is good but a bit overrated in mind. Lucky Hare is a must stop on Seneca lake, Wagner winery has a brewery inside that is good, and there are several other options scattered around. Americana had a great brewery in the back of their building but it wasn't open yet a few weeks ago.

Olney Place is great. Two Goats is the absolute best. Unfortunately (or fortunately for them), word has gotten out and they are usually completely slammed on weekend nights in the Summer. If Two Goats is packed, Lucky Hare just up the road is a solid consolation prize.

Lucky hare is great and very underrated, I actually prefer them beer wise to Two Goats and I don't think its really close. Lucky Hare is putting out some great IPAs.

Yeah, we enjoy Three Brothers as well. I don't think it's the best wine in the region, but it's a cool place to just relax for a bit. It was also a cool introduction to Rieslings the very first time I went (many years ago now) because they have 4 or 5 rieslings of varying sweetness/dryness levels so it was a good way to figure out what kind of rieslings I like.

Three Brothers is good but has become a victim of its own success. We used to go there a lot probably a decade ago before the popularity got sky high. Was more of an intimate experience then and felt sort of like a hidden gem. Its blow up since then and while still good, it feels like your going to like Disney land now with the crowds costs etc... Still would recommend it though, brewery has come a LONG way and its like visiting 3 wineries in one plus the brewery.

Lucky hare is great and very underrated, I actually prefer them beer wise to Two Goats and I don't think its really close. Lucky Hare is putting out some great IPAs.

Lucky Hare definitely has the better beer. Two Goats beer is ok, but combine it with the aesthetics/view and atmosphere and I give Two Goats the nod.

Lucky Hare definitely has the better beer. Two Goats beer is ok, but combine it with the aesthetics/view and atmosphere and I give Two Goats the nod.

Ya good call on the view and aesthetics, its a unique place for sure and from that end you have to give them the edge over Lucky Hare in that regard. Lucky hare has done a good job of marketing their beer, hey have distro down in Syracuse and others now and is definitely growing.

Ya good call on the view and aesthetics, its a unique place for sure and from that end you have to give them the edge over Lucky Hare in that regard. Lucky hare has done a good job of marketing their beer, hey have distro down in Syracuse and others now and is definitely growing.
Sadly, the ginger ale tasting scene in the Finger Lakes remains very lacking. Let's step up our games upstate NY ginger ale brewers!

Three Brothers is good but has become a victim of its own success. We used to go there a lot probably a decade ago before the popularity got sky high. Was more of an intimate experience then and felt sort of like a hidden gem. Its blow up since then and while still good, it feels like your going to like Disney land now with the crowds costs etc... Still would recommend it though, brewery has come a LONG way and its like visiting 3 wineries in one plus the brewery.
Fun Fact: My wedding was the 1st that Three Brothers ever hosted back in '09. It was excellent and they charged farrrr less than they could/should have. Loved it.

Finger Lakes Wine Country posted this yesterday. Some solid suggestions in here, a number of which have already been mentioned but plenty others that have not:

1625271713816.jpeg

I wanted to thank everyone yet again for all of your suggestions for the Finger Lakes. The family had a wonderful time. We hit up Watkins Glen State Park, Finger Lakes Distilling, Lucky Hare Brewing Company, The Olney Place, Two Goats Brewing, The Elf in the Oak, Shtayburne Farm Creamery (for awesome ice cream), and even found time to go to the Cuse on a rainy day to take the kiddos to Rosamund Gifford Zoo. There were many other places we went (thanks to so many of your contributions). Again, thanks to this community. Peace.

P.S. - Yes, obviously, I need more sun.

View attachment 203118
I wanted to thank everyone yet again for all of your suggestions for the Finger Lakes. The family had a wonderful time. We hit up Watkins Glen State Park, Finger Lakes Distilling, Lucky Hare Brewing Company, The Olney Place, Two Goats Brewing, The Elf in the Oak, Shtayburne Farm Creamery (for awesome ice cream), and even found time to go to the Cuse on a rainy day to take the kiddos to Rosamund Gifford Zoo. There were many other places we went (thanks to so many of your contributions). Again, thanks to this community. Peace.

P.S. - Yes, obviously, I need more sun.

Glad you all had fun!

taughannock is excellent, id suggest heading west and taking in letchworth. And before you get on 390 or Rt 20 stop at aunt cookies in Geneseo and walk the campus,
Aunt Cookies has the best subs. But, according to my wife and daughter, there is a great Polish restaurant in Geneseo . (Not sure if it is there post-NY lock downs)

Went to this winery in mid April with my wife:

We were in Skaneateles and didn't really want to do a wine tour but thought one winery would be good. I didn't expect a lot because it is relatively new and on Skaneateles but I was pleasantly surprised with really good wine and a great facility. The weather that weekend was awesome and we enjoyed the wine and views. We stayed at the Sherwood and ate at the Blue Water Grill and the Elephant and the Dove. One great thing about staying there was our ability to walk to all the restaurants.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom