First it was Canadians, then Hawaiians, Now Europeans | Syracusefan.com

First it was Canadians, then Hawaiians, Now Europeans

CuseLegacy

Depending on talent, each year the focus of recruiting areas for coaches can change.
We have recruited Canada , not so much this year, but have Canadian players on the team.
Numerous offers went out to Hawaiian players this year, with a walkon from last year.
The staff offered Zavier Scott, who was playing in Germany and committed to UConn this year. Although no other offers have been extended the SU coaches are following a Swede and an Italian player. Rutgers just received a commitment from a Swede, Jutwreten, and have another Swede on the team already as does Temple.

Is football recruiting going to becoming as international in its' recruiting of players as other college sports?

Depending on talent, each year the focus of recruiting areas for coaches can change.
We have recruited Canada , not so much this year, but have Canadian players on the team.
Numerous offers went out to Hawaiian players this year, with a walkon from last year.
The staff offered Zavier Scott, who was playing in Germany and committed to UConn this year. Although no other offers have been extended the SU coaches are following a Swede and an Italian player. Rutgers just received a commitment from a Swede, Jutwreten, and have another Swede on the team already as does Temple.

Is football recruiting going to becoming as international in its' recruiting of players as other college sports?

What's interesting as the US debates the safety and cost of football at the youth and teenage level, other countries are seeing expanding participation.

It'll never be worse than D1 tennis.

They've been recruiting European players for years. We call them kickers.

So does this mean he attended a Florida high school and now possibly UConn, or that he's deciding between a Florida high school and UConn?

I mean, either one could make sense.
He is from Italy and attending the International HS School in Florida. He is visiting UConn to possibly play at the college level for them.

What's interesting as the US debates the safety and cost of football at the youth and teenage level, other countries are seeing expanding participation.

Sort of misleading though, any sport where participation is extremely small it's easy to show growth. I have family in Europe, participation is expanding in the same way more people in the U.S. are playing frisbee golf.

Did they run out of Samoans? ;)
Hawaii, and the Samoan Islands, are by far, the most fertile recruiting grounds for football. Samoa has a population of 65,000, and has over 30 players in the NFL, and another 200 playing division 1 football. That would be like Utica NY having 30 NFL players, and 200 playing division 1. That is just insane.

Sort of misleading though, any sport where participation is extremely small it's easy to show growth. I have family in Europe, participation is expanding in the same way more people in the U.S. are playing frisbee golf.
It all starts somewhere. Not many were playing soccer here in the 70's and 80's. It's catching up to football in terms of participation.

It all starts somewhere. Not many were playing soccer here in the 70's and 80's. It's catching up to football in terms of participation.

Ok. It'll never get to that point in Europe for numerous reasons that didn't impact the US from increasing soccer participation.

Ok. It'll never get to that point in Europe for numerous reasons that didn't impact the US from increasing soccer participation.
I didn't say it would. Just making the point that any sport that gains popularity has to begin somewhere. They are certainly in the infancy of it becoming popular.
In America, there has been a cycle of "Americas Favorite Past Times". Started with horse racing, which gave way to boxing, which gave way to baseball, which gave way to football, which now seems to be giving way to whatever sport is up next. The funny thing about the lifespan of these sports as being the most popular, is that in the midst of each sports' popularity, people never thought that sport would cede power to another sport. At some point football will give way too.
In Europe, soccer has been around for so long, and has been so ingrained in their culture for century upon century, that it doesn't seem possible that it will cede to any other sport. Soccer dates back to 2nd, and 3rd, century China. In America, our sports date back to just over 100 years, so there is not one single sport that is truly in our DNA, the way soccer is across the pond.

Actually, youth participation in soccer has exceeded that in football in the US for a long time. The numbers in 2016 were 7.7 million for soccer and 6.3 million for football in 2016, accord Sports & Fitness Industry Assoc, Aspen Institute.

I didn't say it would. Just making the point that any sport that gains popularity has to begin somewhere. They are certainly in the infancy of it becoming popular.
In America, there has been a cycle of "Americas Favorite Past Times". Started with horse racing, which gave way to boxing, which gave way to baseball, which gave way to football, which now seems to be giving way to whatever sport is up next. The funny thing about the lifespan of these sports as being the most popular, is that in the midst of each sports' popularity, people never thought that sport would cede power to another sport. At some point football will give way too.
In Europe, soccer has been around for so long, and has been so ingrained in their culture for century upon century, that it doesn't seem possible that it will cede to any other sport. Soccer dates back to 2nd, and 3rd, century China. In America, our sports date back to just over 100 years, so there is not one single sport that is truly in our DNA, the way soccer is across the pond.

So... you're agreeing with me?

Actually, youth participation in soccer has exceeded that in football in the US for a long time. The numbers in 2016 were 7.7 million for soccer and 6.3 million for football in 2016, accord Sports & Fitness Industry Assoc, Aspen Institute.
I'm guessing it hasn't caught football at the high school level though. I think those numbers are likely due to kids playing AYSO soccer. That and the fact that both boys and girls play soccer, so you're getting twice the potential participants. It'd be interesting to see participation in boys high school soccer, vs. high school football. Google is easy...but I'm feeling lazy.

Ok. My curiosity got the best of me.
As of 2014:
Football was the most participated in high school sport in 2014 with 1,088,115 players
Soccer cam in 4th with 782,514 participants, of which 410,982 participants were boys.

Football Is Top Sport in U.S.: 1,088,158 High School Players

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom